Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facetime_ios_icon.jpg
Apple today released a new support document, detailing the issue behind the recent problems some iOS 6 users have been experiencing with FaceTime. According to Apple, a bug resulting from an expired device certificate has rendered FaceTime unusable on older versions of iOS and the only solution to the problem is to update to the latest version of the operating system.

Devices capable of running iOS 7 must be upgraded to iOS 7.0.4 or later, while devices unable to run iOS 7, such as the fourth-generation iPod touch, must upgrade to iOS 6.1.6.
If you started to have issues making or receiving FaceTime calls after April 16, 2014, your device or your friend's device may have encountered a bug resulting from a device certificate that expired on that date. Updating both devices to the latest software will resolve this issue.

If you're using iOS 7.0.4 or later or iOS 6.1.6, this issue doesn't affect you.

If you're using these versions of OS X or FaceTime for Mac, this issue doesn't affect you:

- OS X Mavericks v10.9.2 or later
- OS X Mountain Lion v10.8 with the latest security updates
- OS X Lion v10.7 with the latest security updates
- FaceTime for Mac version 1.0.5 or later for Mac OS X v10.6
While FaceTime does work with iOS 6.1.6, that particular update is not available to recent devices that are able to run iOS 7, which means iOS 6 users with newer devices who wish to access FaceTime must upgrade to iOS 7.

There's a sizable contingent of iOS users who opted to stick with iOS 6 over iOS 7 due to the drastic visual changes introduced with the operating system update, so Apple's upgrade suggestion is likely to be unpopular with those users.

Apple's FaceTime issues first began on April 16, with many iOS 6 users reporting an inability to use the service. At that time, it was unclear whether Apple would implement a fix, but customer service representatives have been presenting iOS 7 updates as a solution since the problem was first uncovered, and it appears that Apple does not plan to offer another solution. The company did, however, release a FaceTime update for OS X users to fix the issue earlier this week.

Article Link: iOS 6 Users on Devices Able to Run iOS 7 Must Upgrade to Fix FaceTime

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Haha, good move to get those last stubborn people to update to iOS 7. Bravo Apple, I approve. ;)

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
I love things like this, lets make a brouhaha over absolutely nothing, just upgrade! done

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
If your devices can't be upgraded to iOS 7, chances are it doesn't support FaceTime anyway because there's no front facing cam, or at least this is true for the 3GS. So Apple is pretty much just telling you to update to iOS 7.

On one hand, people should just upgrade. On the other hand, Apple actually killed a functionality that your phone originally came with and you paid for. There could be a class action lawsuit here.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
iOS 1 was the best ANYTHING NEWER IS FUGLY :mad: The App Store is just bloated crap you don't need.

If I could install iOS 1 on my iPad Air, I would.

;)

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I am also waiting for the flood of entitled people who refuse to upgrade to iOS7 for x,y,z reason to start complaining.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'll admit I didn't like the new iOS 7 icons at first, but there are really so many advantages that I think upgrading is worth it. I haven't run iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 though, but I know there are some performance issues. I think iOS 7 runs great on my 4S and 5s.

Either way Apple would avoid a lot of complaints if they could get FaceTime working in older iOS 6 versions again.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
LOL awesome! I can't wait to hear the whining! The tears of the luddities are like sweet nectar. Honestly, this couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people.

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Who is this going to affect more? Apple or the customer who has alternative 3rd party video calling services?

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Brace yourselves....!:D

Did iOS 6 users actually think they could stay on outdated software FOREVER and not have any problems?!

Did iOS 6 users actually think that as the world around them progresses and technology and hardware moves forward, they could remain on outdated software and have everything still work fine?!

How long are iOS 6 users planning on staying on iOS 6?

FOREVER?!

lol good luck with that hahaha!

Last edited:

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Hmm, well good thing it's only FaceTime. For those who aren't really users of FaceTime, it's ok. But if you do use FaceTime... then well... you're screwed :(

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Can't create free software that's actually good enough to compel people to voluntarily upgrade to? Solution: Break the version they stayed with.

A big F U right from Apple's own mouth. When was the last time that Apple so directly disrespected its customers? I'm struggling to recall their service ever being so poor. Just offer the fix you created to iOS 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.