Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Right now I'm doing fine with a 32gb iphone, are the apps and everything much bigger for iPad?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't think there is much difference in iPad and iPhone app sizes, unless they are graphic intensive games.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Regular apps - not much difference. Some games do have significantly larger files for the iPad in my experience. If you're not much into games, no worries. If you do like games on your iPhone, get a bigger iPad because you'll like them even more on the iPad. Several recent-release games I have are well over 1gb each on my iPad.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
My last two iPhones and three iPads have been 32gb.

When I switched from the Air to the rMini last week I went with the 16gb. After looking at my memory usage on the Air I saw that I was only using around 10gb.

I will continue to get the 32gb (or larger) iPhone since I keep my music and pictures on there, but for now, the 16gb iPad is good for me.

On the iPad I stream all of my music and use Photostream for pictures.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i find i need less room on my iPad because i don't keep any music on it, though if you plan on using the iPad for large games or lots of photos/movies/videos, you might want to consider bumping to 32 or 64.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've looked at my iPhone (when I had it) and saw the utilization, I then estimated that I did or didn't need a larger iPad. (I stuck with the 32gb flavor)

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
No one knows how you use your devices other than you.
I usually happen to load movies on my iPad, so higher storage is needed for me. On the other hand, I keep no videos on my iPhone, so that's a deciding factor.
Having more room on an iPad is desirable, since the bigger screen allows for bigger apps in general.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
16gb does me fine, on both my iPad and iPhone, but then i have unlimited data for both, and use Plex to stream my library wirelessly, so in effect i have 16TB of storage for media and photo as long as i have 3G/4G data or wifi

i really think in the modern world, local data storage is not really required (depending on where you live off course, if i was somewhere with crappy signal id probably carry about a lot more locally)

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Your iPhone usage is only a good indicator if you intend to load your iPad with the exact same apps/content. Do you really think you'll do that?

I have lots of video content on my iPad, and next to none on my iPhone. And my iPhone has all my music, whereas the iPad has none. I have the iWork apps on my iPad and not on my phone (these are ~500MB each).

It sounds like this will be your first iPad, so you might not be able to guess how you're going to use it. But I can tell you that differences in app size (if any) will not enter into it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
To be honest I wish they would release a bigger storage iPad, I currently have the 64GB model iPad 3, and it doesn't hold all my TV shows. Even the 128GB model would probably not be enough to hold all the series of The Big Bang Theory.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
To be honest I wish they would release a bigger storage iPad, I currently have the 64GB model iPad 3, and it doesn't hold all my TV shows. Even the 128GB model would probably not be enough to hold all the series of The Big Bang Theory.
I second the wish for bigger storage capacity. I've had 64GB iPad 2 & 3 and I've frequently needed to juggle content on those since I'd often hit the point where I can't even update apps because storage is full. Now I use a 128GB iPad 4 which is actually working pretty well for me (still have ~15GB free). The main thing eating up my storage space is manga/comics. I like having a sizeable library available to me for whatever mood hits. Unfortunately, not much space left for music or videos since I need to keep some breathing room.

16gb does me fine, on both my iPad and iPhone, but then i have unlimited data for both, and use Plex to stream my library wirelessly, so in effect i have 16TB of storage for media and photo as long as i have 3G/4G data or wifi

i really think in the modern world, local data storage is not really required (depending on where you live off course, if i was somewhere with crappy signal id probably carry about a lot more locally)
That's only because you have unlimited data. Unfortunately, at least in the US, carriers are moving away from unlimited data. I think both AT&T and Verizon charge $15/GB overage on their shared data plans. At around 450MB per hour of video at 1Mbps, that can get expensive pretty quick.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601

I second the wish for bigger storage capacity. I've had 64GB iPad 2 & 3 and I've frequently needed to juggle content on those since I'd often hit the point where I can't even update apps because storage is full. Now I use a 128GB iPad 4 which is actually working pretty well for me (still have ~15GB free). The main thing eating up my storage space is manga/comics. I like having a sizeable library available to me for whatever mood hits. Unfortunately, not much space left for music or videos since I need to keep some breathing room…..

Depending on where and how you both use your iDevices, something like this may solve a lot of your storage problems, and it's less expensive than upgrading from 16GB to 64GB or especially to 128GB capacity on your iDevice.

Taking this with you, will give you instant access anywhere to 1TB or 2TB of stored content, on up to five devices, and it can do this without using bandwidth, or if so desired, connect to nearby Wi–Fi hotspots.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Depending on where and how you both use your iDevices, something like this may solve a lot of your storage problems, and it's less expensive than upgrading from 16GB to 64GB or especially to 128GB capacity on your iDevice.

You'll have instant access anywhere to 1TB or 2TB of stored content.
I've gone that route before with a Kingston WiDrive, Seagate Satellite and Patriot Gauntlet Node. Doesn't really work for me since those tend not to stream comics/manga. Besides, it's not exactly simple enough for my mom to use. :rolleyes:

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have a 64GB iPhone and 64GB iPad. In retrospect, I would have been fine with a 32GB iPad. The difference being I don't need (much) music on the iPad and don't shoot many photos or videos with it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

Taking this with you, will give you instant access anywhere to 1TB or 2TB of stored content, on up to five devices, and it can do this without using bandwidth, or if so desired, connect to nearby Wi–Fi hotspots.

I use mine on the move sometimes, at university and at home. I do have a 2011 MacBook Pro which I use for things like writing reports or essays from uni, but I do like to use my iPad to watch TV shows I've brought on iTunes like The Big Bang Theory, which has 7 seasons and the HD versions are very big at least 800mb or 1GB.

I just think it would be good if Apple released iPads with bigger storage options.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Unless you have all your 16TB of media stored on cloud, which I think it will take ages to upload. Then you have stored you media locally somewhere.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I would say that most people could get away with 16gb. We have data readily accessible to download the apps we need. 32/64/128 are nice options. If you know you need it, go for it.

DaCurmudgen

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
Kind of depends on how you expect to use it. Everyone here is going to tell you what is best based on how they use an iPad. Given that you're doing fine with a 32GB iPhone, I'd guess that 64GB will likely be the most you will need. But as people have pointed out, if you're planning to have a lot of video content with you and don't want the hassle of micromanaging it, 128GB will give plenty of elbow room.

No matter what, I think 16GB will probably be limiting in another year or so, unless you are really diligent about streaming most of your stuff or using an external drive.

Personally, I have a 64GB LTE rMini and really wanted 128GB to "not worry about it," but I've ended up only using about 30% storage because I put my music collection in the cloud, and I take more pictures and videos with my iPhone vs. iPad. I'd say most practical is 32GB, 64GB will give you plenty of cushion, and 128GB is gigs of gluttony.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I will come from experience. I went with 64gb on my ipad3 because I overestimated the stuff I would store on it. So when I upgraded to the retina iPad mini, I went with the 32gb version and it's just right (for now, at least). :)

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Right now I'm doing fine with a 32gb iphone, are the apps and everything much bigger for iPad?

Apps are virtually the same size for both iPhones and iPads.

The only apps that require more space on the iPad are apps that have many high resolution image assets, such as some games. Even then, you only notice a size difference between iPad-only and iPhone-only apps. For universal apps, iPhones and iPads download both the iPad and iPhone versions.

After the app is downloaded, the app files decompress (installation), and the app takes up more storage on your device than what is listed on the app description.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I think the sweet spot for most people is 32GB.

I bought a 128GB Retina Mini simply because I wanted to start leaving my 160GB iPod. Classic at home and use the Mini through Bluetooth in my car.
Right now, I have 79GB of music, that's 9,713 songs and 17.5GB free. I have 29 music video and several HD TV show episodes downloaded from iTunes and about 50 podcast episodes downloaded. I love being able to download music and videos and not worry about space.

I also bought a 32GB Air last month. I originally bought the 16GB but after ONLY installing apps! I was left with between 8-9GB free and they bothered me too much so I exchanged it for the 32GB. My 5S is also 32GB and that has always been plenty of space. I still have 17GB free on it.

I honestly think 16GB is too small for today's needs for most people.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Unless you have all your 16TB of media stored on cloud, which I think it will take ages to upload. Then you have stored you media locally somewhere.

not really, i have all my storage at home, and thanks to Plex can stream all of it, with no problems, i do have 20-30 megabits upload speed though, loving the fibre, so i have access to my entire library and all files at all times.

i suppose you could say i am on my own cloud :rolleyes:;)

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I am hearing impaired, I don't need music on my iPad. I put 2 or 3 movies (1.4GB each movie) into my 32GB Air along with 4 games (1.2GB each game) leaving me with less than 14GB free space. When I am done with movies I delete them to get more spaces. I am thinking about putting 240 pictures into photostream but I am not sure how it works because I heard it will delete pictures after 30 days without first save it to laptop. :apple:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I am hearing impaired, I don't need music on my iPad. I put 2 or 3 movies (1.4GB each movie) into my 32GB Air along with 4 games (1.2GB each game) leaving me with less than 14GB free space. When I am done with movies I delete them to get more spaces. I am thinking about putting 240 pictures into photostream but I am not sure how it works because I heard it will delete pictures after 30 days without first save it to laptop. :apple:

I read somewhere that the Photostream pictures use your iCloud storage, not the storage on the device. I am not sure if that is 100% true.

However, I have the 16gb rMini, I have six Photostreams shared with my wife. It is not taking up any space on the rMini, so there seems to be some truth to it.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong :)

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I read somewhere that the Photostream pictures use your iCloud storage, not the storage on the device. I am not sure if that is 100% true.

However, I have the 16gb rMini, I have six Photostreams shared with my wife. It is not taking up any space on the rMini, so there seems to be some truth to it.

On iPad Today, they mentioned not only does it use space on Photo Stream, but also on your iPad/iPhone. Look in settings under usage and then photos and camera, it lists how much space Photo Stream is using on the device. It's grouped right in withecamera roll and photo library.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.