Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaelinxo

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
i have a iphone 4 and dont know if i should wait for the 6 or get the 5s :confused::confused::confused:

DSPalpatine

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
It depends. If you must have the latest and greatest, wait for the 6. If you're looking for a substantial upgrade, get a 5s. It's not like the A7 processor is going to be obsolete anytime soon. Most applications aren't even scraping the surface of what that processor can do.

I upgraded from a 4 to a 5s about a month-and-a-half ago. The differences are impressive, especially application loading times and the camera.

It's your money, though. Spend it how you see fit.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
I have had my iPhone 4 since April 2011 and I finally made the decision today to upgrade to a 5S this weekend. I was waiting for the iPhone 6 to come out but I have had it with the slow performance of my phone, the horrible 3G connection speeds near me and the lack of talk to text is killing me.

I keep my iPhone in my front pocket a lot (or else I lose it everywhere I go - NOT SAFE!) and do NOT want a wider iPhone. I like using my phone with one hand so I do not want something bigger than a 5S. Also, I am having financial issues as of late.

This week until Sunday (5/8) Verizon has $100 any smartphone with a two year contract. Plus Verizon will give you $100 for an iPhone 4 in good condition. Thus making an iPhone 5S 16GB FREE!! I am either going to get a 16GB or I will trade in a 3GS thats laying around somewhere, get $50 for that and get a 32GB for $50.

I want a new phone and kind of need it so this works out for me. :D

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I have had my iPhone 4 since April 2011 and I finally made the decision today to upgrade to a 5S this weekend. I was waiting for the iPhone 6 to come out but I have had it with the slow performance of my phone, the horrible 3G connection speeds near me and the lack of talk to text is killing me.

I keep my iPhone in my front pocket a lot (or else I lose it everywhere I go - NOT SAFE!) and do NOT want a wider iPhone. I like using my phone with one hand so I do not want something bigger than a 5S. Also, I am having financial issues as of late.

This week until Sunday (5/8) Verizon has $100 any smartphone with a two year contract. Plus Verizon will give you $100 for an iPhone 4 in good condition. Thus making an iPhone 5S 16GB FREE!! I am either going to get a 16GB or I will trade in a 3GS thats laying around somewhere, get $50 for that and get a 32GB for $50.

I want a new phone and kind of need it so this works out for me. :D

For some reason I get the feeling you are unsure you made the right decision

stockae92

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
I upgraded from 4s to 5s not long ago.

I think the "longer" screen and the faster performance.

And I got my unit refurb. So if I need to purchase a iPhone 6 refurb, I would have to wait like 1/2 year before I can get one.

Anyway, may you decision base on if the iPhone 4 still satisfy what you need and if a 5s can offer more for you right now.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Is this sarcasm?... If not please explain.

Its not. Like Ann said, it feels like you are trying to justify your soon to be purchase.

You'll enjoy the 5S though, I love mine.

Ill be getting the 6 too, then 6S, etc, lol.

edit- after being on this forum almost 4 years, I can say you will love the 6 too. I cant tell you how many members here have said "I do NOT want a longer iPhone, 4 inches is WAY too big" etc then a week later they all got the 5 and loved it.

Last edited:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The only things the OP need really concern himself/herself over are the size of the screen and Camera.

I'd say they will be the 2 big differences in the iPhone 6. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, OP, if either of those are really important to you, I'd say wait. If they aren't overly important and you can get the 5s cheap, then go for it.

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014

Good lawd man go for it. Doesnt get sweeter than this deal !

iPhone 6 is an "if" thats 6 months away at best.

LosingThe Plot

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2014
UK
5S Purchased

I had the same Quandary iPhone 4 8 Gb that was slowing down and almost full

and went after a 5S with 32 Gb so much faster, far better camera and much lighter, you will get a better deal on a 5S at the moment than in the past

It's certainly enough for my needs, back up and set up was very easy

Technology is a bit like newspapers;)
News today tomorrows Fish and Chips wrapper :(

only you can decide if its worth waiting and paying more for a 6 or 6S
is the larger size of value or not ?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
i have a iphone 4 and dont know if i should wait for the 6 or get the 5s :confused::confused::confused:

If you pay full price, then yes. But right now Target and Best Buy have deals where you basically get the phone for $99 with a contract. I got a new iPad Air for a lot less a few months ago and didn't mind not waiting because of the money I saved. I love Touch ID, but on an ipad it's not as big of a deal, especially when your ipad 3 is running sluggish every day.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point OP, I'd say it better to wait a month to see what Apple has to unveil in WWDC. From there you can decide whether waiting is better or not.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Obviously you are a social phone user, if your phone actually earns you a dollar and you needed a phone you would just buy one.
I would wait if I was you. Bigger screen:)

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I would definitely wait. You waited this long, mine as well stick it out.

this is how I feel.. with the ip6 closing in, I would definitely wait for it. if it's less than 5 months wait, I would wait. if it's more than 5, I would just buy.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Its not. Like Ann said, it feels like you are trying to justify your soon to be purchase.

You'll enjoy the 5S though, I love mine.

Ill be getting the 6 too, then 6S, etc, lol.

edit- after being on this forum almost 4 years, I can say you will love the 6 too. I cant tell you how many members here have said "I do NOT want a longer iPhone, 4 inches is WAY too big" etc then a week later they all got the 5 and loved it.

Not me ... I'm waitin' for Apple to bring out their iFone 15 with a 6"x8" screen that also runs iOs MCLMXVII and that folds up to a 2.5" x 5" size to fit in my $1500 Giordano Bruno silk dress shirt pocket.

Just make an informed choice and live with it. It's just a Fone for God's sake. Not like this is a locker room and everyone's waving "theirs" around and you say "Ooooh ... neat-o! I need one THAT size!":eek:

There's ALWAYS "something new" due out in the next six months - don't get caught up in the "what if i wait" cycle - you'll never get to the other side of the street.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Not me ... I'm waitin' for Apple to bring out their iFone 15 with a 6"x8" screen that also runs iOs MCLMXVII and that folds up to a 2.5" x 5" size to fit in my $1500 Giordano Bruno silk dress shirt pocket.

Just make an informed choice and live with it. It's just a Fone for God's sake. Not like this is a locker room and everyone's waving "theirs" around and you say "Ooooh ... neat-o! I need one THAT size!":eek:

There's ALWAYS "something new" due out in the next six months - don't get caught up in the "what if i wait" cycle - you'll never get to the other side of the street.

Im really confused what your comment has to do with mine or why you quoted it.....and its not just a phone. I don't understand why people say its just a phone.

A PHONE=a device with a phone function/text message. period. Like the 8$ go phone my grandma uses.

an iPhone=phone, text, internet, gaming, calendar, television (yes some ppl do use it for TV), movies device.

I saw a guy in here say he shut off his cable and computer for a month and used only his iPhone to text, watch tv and movies, pay all his bills. Now you tell him "Its just a phone." Ridiculous.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Im really confused what your comment has to do with mine or why you quoted it.....and its not just a phone. I don't understand why people say its just a phone.

A PHONE=a device with a phone function/text message. period. Like the 8$ go phone my grandma uses.

an iPhone=phone, text, internet, gaming, calendar, television (yes some ppl do use it for TV), movies device.

I saw a guy in here say he shut off his cable and computer for a month and used only his iPhone to text, watch tv and movies, pay all his bills. Now you tell him "Its just a phone." Ridiculous.

Well, your original post said "ll be getting the 6 too, then 6S, etc, lol." I was sarcastically referring to those people who are perennially on the cusp about purchasing any kind of technology. Should I do it now? Should I wait? What if the new iOS is that much better than what's currently out there? What if they bring it out in different colors? What if the memory is much bigger?

It's all about deciding what YOU want the technology to do, both at the current moment and for the foreseeable future.

And it IS just a phone ... a phone that does OTHER things too but first and foremost it's a phone. Sure, there about a thousand other things you can do with an iPhone but it's primary capacity is as a phone - everything else is an adjunct to that - and the phone does most of all of those other things very well. It's not a computer meant to be used to do high-end digital photo processing that you also happen to be able to make phone calls on. And I'm not so sure about watching the telly on a tiny 2 x 3.5 screen. If you want to squint at that small a screen to watch the telly & movies on, then by al means, go ahead do it - just don't expect a whole lot from those 7 square inches.

Lighten up a bit.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Mid-September is only 4 months away. If there is any truth to the August rumors (I'm skeptical), then you're talking 3 months. I would suck it up and wait for a couple of reasons. 1st, to see what Apple unveils. It could be something you REALLY want but might be unable to get due to impatience. 2nd, if you decide to get an IP5s, the deals AFTER the IP6 is released will be much, much better than now. My personal feeling is that if you've had an IP4 all these years NOT waiting another 3-4 months to put yourself in a better position than you are now is just silly. Wait!

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
If you look at my earlier post I was planning on getting a 5S this weekend. The first Verizon store was only going to give me $50 for my iPhone 4 so I called the other Verizon store that quoted me $100 and said I was at a Verizon Wireless retailer and not a "corporate" store and their trade-ins and promotions differ. WTH?!....

So I drove 30-40 min to the store that quoted me $100 and we walked into the store and there were 2 salesman and 20+ people waiting. I gave my info so I could be put in the waiting queue and started checking out phones.

First I walked to the 5S. I held it in my hand and there was almost no feeling. It didn't make me say "this is a NICE phone". Sure I knew it was a HUGE upgrade from my 4 but it didn't make me excited. But I knew there is no other choice for me than an iPhone.

I knew I still had a long wait so I walked around and tried out some Androids. Lumia Icon, Moto X, S5.. and even though I disliked the OS (minus widgets) I LOVED their larger screens. It was then and there I knew I would HATE myself to be stuck with a 5S for 2/3 years with a screen the same width as my 3 year old phone. I walked straight out of the store.

I know what we've been seeing are fake mockups and such but I hate how the rear of the iPhone 6 is looking with those antenna cutouts. It makes it look cheap and plain ugly. Hopefully Apple will make those cutouts (if they even appear like that on the iPhone 6) look nice or camouflage them. There are always cases. I just want a new iPhone with a bigger screen.

I AM WAITING FOR AN IPHONE 6!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.