Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
I sold my ipad mini to someone on ebay but it's not letting them set up the device. I had wiped it using itunes, but not on the computer it normally was used with. On the computer it was used on, I clicked my account in tunes, then manage devices link, and removed the iPad from there. I dont think the device was used with iCloud, but its my sister device so I am not completely sure of this. We logged into icloud with her apple ID but it said she doesnt use it so Im not sure what to think. The user still cant setup the iPad, so I am missing something somewhere and I dont know what. Any thoughts?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you did not remove find my iPad from the device he will not be able to reset it

igneousc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
If you did not remove find my iPad from the device he will not be able to reset it

Can I somehow disable that remotely? It's on the setup screen, I just didnt realize there would be an issue so I didnt test it before I sent it.
She must have a different apple id associated with icloud/find my ipad, because her normal apple ID doesnt show anything when she logs in to icloud.com?

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Can I somehow disable that remotely? It's on the setup screen, I just didnt realize there would be an issue so I didnt test it before I sent it.
She must have a different apple id associated with icloud/find my ipad, because her normal apple ID doesnt show anything when she logs in to icloud.com?

You would have to give the buyer the apple ID and password tied to that iPad in order for them to complete the restore.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
When I reset to factory on my iPad or iPhone, it requires that you turn off find my iphone before it will allow it to reset.

Yours should be the same

I did this to reset it before I sent it:
Step 1
Disconnect the iPad from the computer, but leave the USB cable connected to the computer.

Step 2
Hold down the "Sleep/Wake" button for several seconds until a red slider appears. Move your finger across the slider to turn the iPad off.

Step 3
Connect the iPad to the computer while holding down the "Home" button to turn on the iPad.

Step 4
Release the "Home" button when you see a message that says, "Connect to iTunes."

Step 5
Launch iTunes. iTunes will alert you that it detects a device in Recovery Mode.

Step 6
Click "OK" and click "Restore" to reset the iPad.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Step 1
Disconnect the iPad from the computer, but leave the USB cable connected to the computer.

Step 2
Hold down the "Sleep/Wake" button for several seconds until a red slider appears. Move your finger across the slider to turn the iPad off.

Step 3
Connect the iPad to the computer while holding down the "Home" button to turn on the iPad.

Step 4
Release the "Home" button when you see a message that says, "Connect to iTunes."

Step 5

Step 6

WOW!

You do not need your computer to reset your device.

Just do Settings, General, Reset and then Erase All Content and Settings.

Done

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Since you restored while connected to the computer it may have an apple ID greyed out under iTunes & App Store. If that is so, it should be corrected with the new owner doing an "Erase all content and settings" while not attached to a computer.

igneousc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Since you restored while connected to the computer it may have an apple ID greyed out under iTunes & App Store. If that is so, it should be corrected with the new owner doing an "Erase all content and settings" while not attached to a computer.

but they're unable to set up the ipad, so Im not sure how they could get to it?
I sent them the ipad so when they turn it on, it's at the setup screen. They said:

When setting up you are asked to put in an Apple ID and when trying to put in mine, it says it is locked by an account. I assume that is your account.
So I removed the device from my sisters iTunes program under devices, and they said:
There is an Apple ID associated with this iPad and another id cannot be associated with it. Hence. It is locked.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I sold my ipad mini to someone on ebay but it's not letting them set up the device. I had wiped it using itunes, but not on the computer it normally was used with. On the computer it was used on, I clicked my account in tunes, then manage devices link, and removed the iPad from there. I dont think the device was used with iCloud, but its my sister device so I am not completely sure of this. We logged into icloud with her apple ID but it said she doesnt use it so Im not sure what to think. The user still cant setup the iPad, so I am missing something somewhere and I dont know what. Any thoughts?

If the iPad mini had iOS 7 at the time that you sold it, then you probably had find my iPad enabled in which case you have the activation lock set up. You should've disabled this before wiping and restoring. The below quotes are helpful.

The only way to remedy this is to enter in your AppleID and password.

Did you try this:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

You need to have disabled Find my iPad before having done this. This is why they're having this problem. It's a security measure built into iOS 7 and newer.

WOW!

You do not need your computer to reset your device.

Just do Settings, General, Reset and then Erase All Content and Settings.

Done

Actually, if you do a firmware-level (DFU) restore, you NEED a computer and by doing so, you flush out a lot of quirks and crap from the firmware and basically reset it to new so that when you are also reloading the OS it loads completely cleanly. It's not a bad idea, nor is it worth making anyone feel stupid for not having done it your way instead.

To the OP: You either need them to send you your iPad back so you can correct this, or you need to give them your AppleID password (in which case, I'd change it as soon as they're up and running).

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Actually, if you do a firmware-level (DFU) restore, you NEED a computer and by doing so, you flush out a lot of quirks and crap from the firmware and basically reset it to new so that when you are also reloading the OS it loads completely cleanly. It's not a bad idea, nor is it worth making anyone feel stupid for not having done it your way instead.

I agree about no need to make OP feel stupid, but it was unnecessary, and also, if OP had done the "erase everything" from the iPad, he would have gotten the "need to disable activation lock" warning before the device could be wiped, and would have avoided this entire situation.

To the OP: You either need them to send you your iPad back so you can correct this, or you need to give them your AppleID password (in which case, I'd change it as soon as they're up and running).

No need for having the iPad sent back or giving the new owner your password. Just do it the way I posted earlier (at post 11). It's what Apple recommends for situations like this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.