Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Glad to see OS X Mavericks isn't disappointing anyone, each update creating new problems for the users, some who are still trying to fix problems caused by the last update.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Glad to see OS X Mavericks isn't disappointing anyone, each update creating new problems for the users, some who are still trying to fix problems caused by the last update.

I'm glad that not only do you find joy in others' misfortune, but that you can amuse yourself by thinking that Mavericks is anywhere close to how bad Vista was. :rolleyes:

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013

Just wondering if you ever were around for OS X Lion ?:confused: for all its quirks OS X Mavericks is fairly stable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Actually for me, Mavericks is been rock solid and not "vista like" as you so eloquently put it. Quite the opposite, Mavericks has been one of the best versions of OSX imo.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

Do you actually use Mavericks? They way your post is worded sounds like you don't.

I've had Mavericks since the DPs and it's been rock solid for me on my 2011 MBP.

IMO, Lion was the vista of OS X. Buggy and really slow. Mountain Lion wasn't much better

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i've come to this forum for years, for help with issues, and to share ideas for fixes. and to learn. and to discuss.

but all these endless, whiny posts! EVERY new os has it's share of issues, so...discuss them. ask for help. focus on the issue itself.

instead of:
"why is (insert current new os version here) the worst ever?"

boring, and tiresome. have a problem? ask for help. os having issues? maybe it's YOUR experience, not EVERYBODY's.

let's get on track (for example, the missing Users folder issue in 10.9.3...got it fixed, thru a post on this forum).

so, yes, there are issues. that one's fixed for me, and am back to work...and loving mavericks (overall...) :cool:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's strange that the OP's join-date is the same year that Vista came out since I otherwise would have a sworn he must have been too young to have been around for Vista.

SolRayz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Ft. Lauderdale
Some people who claim they have no issues must be delusional apple fan boys, have memory problems, or are simply noobies to the :apple: world with no experience with what was once the norm, that being, stability and efficiency. Snow Leopard comes to mind and that was some time ago.

The days when Apple used to focus on stability, simplicity, and common sense are long gone. The reality for me is that Mavericks has taken a back seat to my Windows 7 install. Pretty sad but true.

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Vista-like? Hardly. I have run Maverick on both a 2010 and 2011 MBP, both running 4GB, and NEVER had an issue. I upgraded to 8GB on the 2011, but honestly I didn't really need to.

Since it is against policy to insult a member, I REALLY wish the down vote button would come back.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
I've experienced no issues at all & found Mavericks to be a marked improvement on ML.

Remember this forum is highly skewed with the opinions of those with complaints / problems.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Some people who claim they have no issues must be delusional apple fan boys, have memory problems, or are simply noobies to the :apple: world with no experience with what was once the norm, that being, stability and efficiency. Snow Leopard comes to mind and that was some time ago.

The days when Apple used to focus on stability and simplicity are long gone. The reality for me is that Mavericks has taken a back seat to my Windows 7 install. Pretty sad but true.

read what people are posting; NO ONE is saying 'apple is perfect, mavericks is perfect'.

i am loving mavericks...NOW that i've resolved some problems. not my first issues on a mac OS, and...undoubtedly not my last.

overall, for me, mavericks has been stable and efficient; not magical, or anything like that. but hey, am a macuser, not a fanboy...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's strange that the OP's join-date is the same year that Vista came out since I otherwise would have a sworn he must have been too young to have been around for Vista.

I believe my join date is around that time too. I actually switched to using Macs and OS X because of Vista and how bad it was. Vista prevented me from doing any actual work. It turned my computer into an enemy. I had to fight with it to get anything o substance done. And I spent $400+ to be among the first to get it, and completely wrote that off as a loss.

That's never happened to me on OS X, from Tiger to Mavericks. Lion was pretty bad, but the issues were annoyances, not show stoppers. And yes Mavericks has had some glitches here and there, but I've personally only noticed them once someone has told me they exist.

So no, Mavericks is not Vista, not even close. If the OP truly thinks it's that bad, I'm sure Windows 8.1 will make him quite happy. :)

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I'd just like to note that Vista ran flawlessly when I ran it on a MacBook Pro. It was only on a PC that it gave me any trouble.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I'd just like to note that Vista ran flawlessly when I ran it on a MacBook Pro. It was only on a PC that it gave me any trouble.

I remember running Vista in 2007 with no Service Pack at all and it ran fine. (Of course not as good as OS X :D) In fact I had more problems with Windows XP back then. There was a time when I had like 2-3 blue screens per day and with Vista I had like 2-3 ever. (The problem was fixed by upgrading a driver, no blue screen ever since then)

Just because it didn't run well for some (I know tons of people who have/had Vista on their computer with no problems) doesn't make it a worse OS than other versions of Windows. The only real problem with Vista was the lack of driver support back then which wasn't a problem caused by the OS but by the hardware manufactures. Unfortunately the "Vista is bad" thinking is burned into the mind of a lot of people today. :rolleyes:

I still have a virtual machine today that's running Vista. It runs just as fine as my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 virtual machines.

And Mavericks is way better than anything before. Period. Seriously.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I believe my join date is around that time too. I actually switched to using Macs and OS X because of Vista and how bad it was. Vista prevented me from doing any actual work. It turned my computer into an enemy. I had to fight with it to get anything o substance done. And I spent $400+ to be among the first to get it, and completely wrote that off as a loss.

That's never happened to me on OS X, from Tiger to Mavericks. Lion was pretty bad, but the issues were annoyances, not show stoppers. And yes Mavericks has had some glitches here and there, but I've personally only noticed them once someone has told me they exist.

So no, Mavericks is not Vista, not even close. If the OP truly thinks it's that bad, I'm sure Windows 8.1 will make him quite happy. :)
For the record, I'm 78, been retired for almost 20 years and have been involved with computers both as a hobby and in Industrial control since Radio Shack came out with the TRS-80 model 1.
I am familiar with MS Vista and OS X Mavericks, which after testing I choose not to use.
I will be the first to admit I'm a dinosaur and do not take kindly to change anymore.
I would like to have stayed with OS X 10.6.8 but from pure necessity have grudgingly moved up to Mountain Lion.

BTW my original post was meant to be "tongue in cheek"

Last edited:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Actually for me, Mavericks is been rock solid and not "vista like" as you so eloquently put it. Quite the opposite, Mavericks has been one of the best versions of OSX imo.

I agree. It's given me more speed and more RAM, and Safari is snappier. (Actually, it is.)

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
I would say Mavericks is very stable, I really have very few issues and any that I have had its taken me a few web searches to fix or just a quick post here and even then its because Im doing something an average user probably wouldn't.

I guess people can complain about the user file disappearing but a fix was easily found here and it was patched very very quickly. I would say most issues that have popped up have effected maybe 20% of users and even then they are patched quickly.

Its true every OS/update has hiccups but thats why they send out patches. This was much more annoying when we didn't get patches as fast as we do now (flashbacks of windows 98 installer crashing and then trying to find drivers over dialup for my toshiba laptop ugh)

Either way I have been very happy with the OSX lineup in general, you can take that for all that my opinion is worth hah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.