Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Pretty amazing how badly the S5 can lag, even with much newer hardware (in comparison to the Nex5 and stock Android. This is especially evident when refreshing previously open apps.) Another reason I'm glad Motorola didn't skin the crap out of Android for the Moto series of phones.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Pretty amazing how badly the S5 can lag, even with much newer hardware (in comparison to the Nex5 and stock Android. This is especially evident when refreshing previously open apps.) Another reason I'm glad Motorola didn't skin the crap out of Android for the Moto series of phones.

flawed test.

1.) right hand to control the Nexus 5, left hand to control the S5...simultaneously as well...not gonna lead to accurate results.

2.) as hard as you may try, you're never gonna get both your thumbs to hit the app icon at the same time.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I already posted this in the S5 thread.

He also did one with Sense v Touchwiz

----------

flawed test.

1.) right hand to control the Nexus 5, left hand to control the S5...simultaneously as well...not gonna lead to accurate results.

2.) as hard as you may try, you're never gonna get both your thumbs to hit the app icon at the same time.

The multitasking results about having to reload after is VERY accurate from my own experience.

And app opening speed wise there isn't a huge difference between my S5 and my S4 GPE. Though the S5 was marginally faster.

ritholtz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
S5 has some design problem with multi tasking window. It will be interesting if some one can create these videos with similar phones in both sides. With slow motion technique, I am pretty sure they can prove one is better (marginally) than other.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
What's the point of this if we are looking at split seconds difference? Who wins here doesn't have any meanings to most people except those with extreme OCD

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
S5 has some design problem with multi tasking window. It will be interesting if some one can create these videos with similar phones in both sides. With slow motion technique, I am pretty sure they can prove one is better (marginally) than other.

What's the point of this if we are looking at split seconds difference? Who wins here doesn't have any meanings to most people except those with extreme OCD

It's not the split second differences that is interesting to me, or the way samsung have an animation lag in multitasking window.

It's the way on the GS5 when using multitasking after say 4-5 recent apps it then has to start reloading older recents when switched to them because it's running out of memory, whereas the M8 has NO trouble and doesn't have to reload, and likewise the Nexus 5 similar story.

That is the thing that effects users more than just a split second delay here and there. It's a clear example of how inefficient Samsung has made Touchwiz in regards to its excessive memory usage.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting video, this is one reason why I prefer vanilla android over what manufacturers throw on their phone - it adds bloat and degrades performance.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
While stock Android is great, no doubt, Samsung adds so much functionality to TouchWiz (in addition to their bloatware useless applications) that I'd be willing to sacrifice some performance for it.

And it should be no surprise that they're almost the same in terms of speed. S5 runs Snapdragon 801, which is just an overclocked 800.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
While stock Android is great, no doubt, Samsung adds so much functionality to TouchWiz (in addition to their bloatware useless applications) that I'd be willing to sacrifice some performance for it.

And it should be no surprise that they're almost the same in terms of speed. S5 runs Snapdragon 801, which is just an overclocked 800.

I have to agree. I used a Moto X and Nexus 5 for a few weeks, and while Stock android is fast, after messing with a Samsung, especially the newer ones, i don't really see any issues with touchwiz.

ecrispy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Not sure what the video is supposed to show since the speed differences are tiny. Touchwiz has improved a lot, it also has 2x the features of stock and some people depend on those features.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Not sure what the video is supposed to show since the speed differences are tiny. Touchwiz has improved a lot, it also has 2x the features of stock and some people depend on those features.

These few precious milliseconds can add up, over a lifetime you can save several seconds of your life, how can you put a value on that?

In all seriousness, is this what people cry about and call "lag"?!?! Those tiny little literally MILLIseconds? That's seriously the most pitiful thing I've ever seen, don't people have more things to do with their time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.