Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
On my new rMBP13, I've noticed that the battery is being drained by something overnight. I tend to close the lid and put it on the shelf next to my bed during the night (unplugged from power). This morning, it was at 34%, after being at 100% when I closed the lid.

Isn't there a setting someplace to ensure that it goes to sleep when the lid is closed? I've been looking in Prefs but haven't found it. I've never had this problem with previous Mac laptops (four Airs and two 17" MBPs).

Rob

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
On my new rMBP13, I've noticed that the battery is being drained by something overnight. I tend to close the lid and put it on the shelf next to my bed during the night (unplugged from power). This morning, it was at 34%, after being at 100% when I closed the lid.

Isn't there a setting someplace to ensure that it goes to sleep when the lid is closed? I've been looking in Prefs but haven't found it. I've never had this problem with previous Mac laptops (four Airs and two 17" MBPs).

Rob

Like you said, it sounds like it is not going to sleep at all. Try the troubleshooting steps in this Apple support document. Also, try the tips in this article, particularly that assertions command toward the lower part of the page. That will help tell you what is keeping it awake.

wadjj

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Power nap on battery is strongly not recommended, it can't actually guarantee to only run the tasks listed in preferences.

princealyy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I had the same problem, it was due to bootcamp.
Are you by chance using bootcamp on the laptop? Shut down your virtual device and your mac should go to sleep.
If this is not the case ... then I am sure there are other option ... :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are you by chance using bootcamp on the laptop? Shut down your virtual device and your mac should go to sleep

Are you talking about using virtualization of bootcamp - two different animals. bootcamp you boot into windows, virtualization you run windows within OSX. You're post is a bit conflicting.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Did you leave any USB devices plugged in?
Some wireless mice/keyboards are known to pickup "RF noise" which the mini-receiver plugged into the Mac/PC will randomly awaken from sleep due to "input" so the system will awake in clamshell mode until sleeping again. Bluetooth on Macs can do the same when a battery is low on the mouse/keyboard--my old BT Mighty Mouse did this.

...I had this happen on my 2010 MBP several times until figuring out it was the mouse. I know the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 suffers the same glitch as Logitech M305/505 (Logitech Unified series doesn't have this issue)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.