Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tactik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm not actually very mac-literate, but just noticed something odd on my wife's iMac. When going to Chrome's history page (cmd-Y) at the top it now says SendingTrojanLopadK and an arrow next to it (giving two options: expand list, collapse all) with four websites listed as visited ten hours ago.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/2YfmVLp

I haven't seen this before, and had not visited those webpages before they showed up there. As you can see I googled first and then decided to check out the webpages to see if any of it made sense.

My wife is currently in another country and presumably using her iPhone and some of her browsing history may be getting sent to this computer via google, or apple or god-knows.

I can only find a Windows reference online for it
http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-196844-en--Trojan-Lopad-K.html

I'm running on OSX 10.6.8 and Chrome 35.0.1916.114

I would love some help with this, and apologies if it is in the wrong section, I'll check for a proper AV board again also.

Cheers.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It looks to me like someone searched that term at Google and that is what is in the history, and it likely got synced by Google like you mentioned.

I just searched the term and here is how my Chrome history shows it, just like yours.

YCilhYE.png

tactik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hi Weaselboy,

Thanks for the experiment. But it is not the history below the [clear browing history] button... it is the title just under the History title. Where SendingTrojanLopadK is in bold.

Those pages were my searching for that name AFTER I saw the strange heading on my screenshot.

Did you also have the bold heading?

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
. But it is not the history below the [clear browing history] button...

Yes it is. Twice - at 1:53 AM.

Looks like search history to me. Probably your wife typed something else and her typo was "auto-corrected" by iOS.

Incidentally, "sending trojan lopadk" returns 0 google results. "SendingTrojanLopadk" returns this thread.

I wouldn't worry about it. Move on.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi Weaselboy,

Thanks for the experiment. But it is not the history below the [clear browing history] button... it is the title just under the History title. Where SendingTrojanLopadK is in bold.

Those pages were my searching for that name AFTER I saw the strange heading on my screenshot.

Did you also have the bold heading?

Oh I'm sorry... now I see what you mean. I don't have that upper area at all and I can seem to do anything to make it appear. :confused:

I even tried downloading a file in Chrome thinking it was a list of downloads, but no.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi everyone,
I'm not actually very mac-literate, but just noticed something odd on my wife's iMac. When going to Chrome's history page (cmd-Y) at the top it now says SendingTrojanLopadK and an arrow next to it (giving two options: expand list, collapse all) with four websites listed as visited ten hours ago.
Open the list of Chrome extensions from the Window menu in Chrome and see if you find anything there that looks suspect. It could be something an extension is doing.

tactik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hi chrfr, thanks for the advice.

I checked and there are 3 extensions. AdBlock Plus, Google Docs, SearchMe.

The last is a bit shayd (from a cursory search) so I clicked the trashcan icon. Then cleared browsing data. Quit Chrome and re-opened.

Went to the history (cmd-Y) and for the first second or so the header was not there. Then the page flashed quickly and it appeared, pushing everything else down the page.

I had a chat to my wife in Hong Kong and she said that she can also see my browsing history, in a similar fashion.

Now I figure there is a "feature" in this somewhere, but the header SendingTrojanLopadK is just creepy and reeks of malware.

Very odd.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah, that's just history from when someone accidentally googled for that.

I have no reaso to believe malware would be googling for things, so I really wouldn't worry

tactik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Hi StiligFox,
Isn't the bold heading at the very top of the history page NOT part of the normal history page??

I'm not talking about the search terms within the pages visited section... Those are there because I immediately ran a couple of searches when I found it.
IE: The terms were only searched for AFTER I saw the strange header.

Any ideas?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hi StiligFox,
Isn't the bold heading at the very top of the history page NOT part of the normal history page??

I'm not talking about the search terms within the pages visited section... Those are there because I immediately ran a couple of searches when I found it.
IE: The terms were only searched for AFTER I saw the strange header.

Any ideas?

I tinkered around some more yesterday and tested everything I cloud think of, and I can't make anything appear in that top section like in your screenshot. Very strange.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well, not sure if it actually is a bug, virus, or something else - but I recommend that you run the freeware "Sophos" over your Mac. It doesn't necessarily pick up OSX based items, but it can scan for Windows based things and other malware/etc.

URL

In addition - you might want to open up Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app - and trawl through the processes to see if there's anything obviously not meant to be running (be sure to select "All processes" from the drop down menu).

It could potentially just be pop ups, also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.