Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoganator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Help! I've tried everything...

I plugged in my hard drive and I got a notification pop up saying that I can't add files to the drive because it's damaged. I opened up disk utility and verified it, says it needed repair. I tries repairing but it will not work. I Then restarted and got command+r and tried from there as well but it will not work.

Then I went a different route. To reformat it and erase everything on the drive so I can just get it to work. I tried in disk utility and it says that it can't unmount it. I tried in command+r after restarting as well and it wouldn't work there either.

What do I do?? I just want to mention I don't care about losing the data (I had another backup) I just want it to work again. Thank you!

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
The hard disk has died. Even if you could make it work for a while, it is unreliable. Thus, it is time to replace it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP asks:
[[ What do I do?? ]]

The very first thing you do is IGNORE post #2 directly above this one.

You don't yet know that the drive is -dead-.
It may be quite re-usable.

My suggestion:
First, shut the Mac right down -- all the way off, completely dark.

Next, restart.

If the external drive isn't connected, connect it.

If it mounts on the desktop, don't try to access it.

Instead, immediately launch Disk Utility and try to erase it.

Does that help?

If not, repeat the shut down and restart.

Now, if the drive is on the desktop, drag the icon to the trash.
What happens now?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
OP>> The very first thing you do is IGNORE post #3 directly above this one.

FrankHahn is correct. Even if you manage to revive that thing, it will be unreliable. Dump it and buy a new drive.

Hoganator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2014
Thank you guys! I'll have fun smashing my with a hammer after all the trouble

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
[[ OP>> The very first thing you do is IGNORE post #3 directly above this one. ]]

That's nonsense, too.

If the drive has software corruption -- even a totally trashed directory -- it may be re-usable. Even if to keep around as a "scratch drive", to store non-critical stuff. There's a distinction to be drawn between "important" data, and that which is of little importance.

If the drive has a -hardware- problem -- yes, of course, THEN it's time for another drive.

But I've got hard drives around that are ten years old or older. They still work.

Aside:
I'll reckon 25-30% of the hard drives that are tossed out because they are "dead", aren't really that way at all -- but entirely restorable and re-usable...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Recovery really does depend on the damage to the disk vs the file system itself.

I would personally try some recovery software first of all, such as Data Rescue II and see how you go.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If the drive has software corruption -- even a totally trashed directory -- it may be re-usable. Even if to keep around as a "scratch drive", to store non-critical stuff. There's a distinction to be drawn between "important" data, and that which is of little importance.

Sounds like you are agreeing with my statement that even if revived, the drive would be unreliable. This was not a distinction you made in your earlier post.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
It never fails to mystify . . . . . . that a reasonable person would employ a piece of hardware that may not work, that may waste the time and resources it consumes, and basically, leave the user walking around inside the shadow of a falling piano.

Truly mystifying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.