Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
I'm anxiously awaiting my nMP.

I wonder what everyones thoughts are for using FileVault 2 on it.

Do the Xeon's have support for the AES instructions? I'm just wondering how performance will be impacted (though I doubt much).

There's always that scary thought someone will break into your home and steal your stuff, and it seems like a good way to help protect your personal info.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FV2 is a no brainer for laptops. Do you think there is a risk of the nMP growing legs and walking off, i.e., getting stolen - if so then enable FV2

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I'd do it. You won't notice a performance difference. Computers are more likely than anything else you own to get stolen during a break in.

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2013
FV2 is a no brainer for laptops. Do you think there is a risk of the nMP growing legs and walking off, i.e., getting stolen - if so then enable FV2

No more so than anything else, but one never knows these days.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010

Do the Xeon's have support for the AES instructions? I'm just wondering how performance will be impacted (though I doubt much).

There's always that scary thought someone will break into your home and steal your stuff, and it seems like a good way to help protect your personal info.

Do it but know its purpose, it protects your files, it will not stop that person from reformatting and using the machine himself. For the latter, you also need to turn on the firmware password.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

FV2 is very transparent and there is very little performance hit. No real reason not to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.