Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Progress on Apple Campus 2 Continues as Walls Go Up

Construction at Apple's Spaceship campus continues, with the circular building beginning to take shape according to an image posted to Twitter by KCBS news and traffic reporter Ron Cervi (via 9to5Mac).

In the most recent shot, a wall has been built around the perimeter of the building, outlining where the foundation will be poured. A different tweet by @DawnMortensen notes that Pruneridge Avenue, a road that runs through the campus itself, has been permanently closed.

Street-level photographs back in December revealed several buildings still standing, but another aerial photo from February suggested a large portion of the demolition work had been completed. During construction, Apple has closed off sidewalks and built a large green privacy fence to keep the area hidden.

Quote:
Progress on #ApplesNewHQ, a small wall around the foundation of the spaceship has sprouted. #sky1hightechtour pic.twitter.com/iM3JrIQUBH - Ron (@Sky1Ron) June 10, 2014
Cervi has been posting a number of images of the campus over the past few months, tracking the progress of construction. Campus 2 is expected to open in 2016.

Article Link: Progress on Apple Campus 2 Continues as Walls Go Up
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:47 PM   #2
icanhazapple
macrumors regular

maybe 2017/2018

even dec. 31st 2016 seems a bit...optimistic. Just moving the amount of material, let alone the construction/fit & finish seems to push a reasonable estimate beyond 2016.
icanhazapple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:47 PM   #3
SandboxGeneral

It's coming along quickly. Seems like progress is being made not too long after Steve brought it before the City Council for such a huge project.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:52 PM   #4
needfx
macrumors 68020

are they making a giant sand igloo?
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Wow those 'tiny' trucks really give you a sense of scale of the whole thing. I hope we get some decent photos of the inside and out when it's completed, since I'm never going to be able to go in person haha!
Jsameds is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:07 PM   #6
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

My guess is that Apple didn't close the sidewalks or erect the perimeter construction fences. That kind of thing is the responsibility of the contractor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
are they making a giant sand igloo?
Recompacting the soil.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:07 PM   #7
Zandros
macrumors member

So, are there any builders here who want to shed light on how you make the foundation level for such a large building, and what are the tolerances usually?
Zandros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:12 PM   #8
apolloa
macrumors 601

Nice, looks pretty impressive. I expect endless polo mint jokes will follow it's completion haha.

But where are they going to park 15,000 cars? I believe that's the number of employee's they expect to work there.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:13 PM   #9
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Ah, yes, the obligatory crop-circle phase of any architectural undertaking…
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Dekema2
macrumors 6502

I think it's preparing for liftoff, but it needs to emerge from it's silo first.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:14 PM   #11
NachoGrande
macrumors 6502

wow those homes are so close. I'd be kinda bent about that.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Edsel
macrumors regular

As an amature historian, I look at this construction and ponder who will build upon this site in thirty years when Apple, Inc has been purchased/merged into some other corporate multi-national. The only constant is change.
Edsel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:21 PM   #13
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
Nice, looks pretty impressive. I expect endless polo mint jokes will follow it's completion haha.

But where are they going to park 15,000 cars? I believe that's the number of employee's they expect to work there.
Underground parking garage
dannyyankou is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:28 PM   #14
The Barron
macrumors regular

Free iPads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoGrande View Post
Maybe Tim Cook & the rest of the brass will present each home owner with a special, limited edition Apple Space Campus iPad & an iTunes gift card.
The Barron is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Ralf The Dog
macrumors regular

It looks like one big infinite loop.
Ralf The Dog is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:28 PM   #16
jon1987
macrumors regular

This has probably been posted before...

The new Apple campus looks not too dissimilar to the GCHQ ( Government Communications headquarters) building here in the UK. Although it does seem just a tad bigger :-p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	476014  
jon1987 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:29 PM   #17
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Judging by the size of the semi-truck in there, it appears you could have a massive semi-truck demo derby in there
fun173 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:32 PM   #18
Jalopybox
Banned

More non news.
Jalopybox is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:32 PM   #19
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandros View Post
So, are there any builders here who want to shed light on how you make the foundation level for such a large building, and what are the tolerances usually?
The construction technique for setting up such a large foundation is well established in California for building codes.

First, since it is such a large structure, there is no single foundation. From the public plans of the project, they will consolidate the ground to a flat surface and then embed below the ground steel pillars (typically i-beams) from the ground surface to the bedrock below.

My guess is they are segmenting the circular foundation into "pie sections" of individual pours. This way, when an earthquake comes, the building will ripple on each foundation pour without cracking the structure as a whole. On top of that, each foundation pie section has it's part of the mother-ship built on top of it so it looks like a single structure.

In an architecture and civil engineering view, it is a single loop of multiple structures with cosmetic attachments to each other. This is how Infinite Loop on De Anza is build with more distinction of each foundations.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original proposal of Infinite Loop was closer to this design than the existing structure design on De Anza.
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:46 PM   #20
Jayse
macrumors regular

Finally, my new place of worship is coming to life!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:49 PM   #21
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoGrande View Post
You prefer the asphalt and boxes it is replacing? The HP campus went right up to the streets on every side.

Laird Knox is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:53 PM   #22
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
This has probably been posted before...

The new Apple campus looks not too dissimilar to the GCHQ ( Government Communications headquarters) building here in the UK. Although it does seem just a tad bigger :-p
It's disgusting how much tax payer money and power these spying agencies are allocated. All to spy on their own citizens and the citizens of others.
Mac Fly (film) is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:59 PM   #23
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

They are moving forward.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:59 PM   #24
thaifood
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Fly (film) View Post
It's disgusting how much tax payer money and power these spying agencies are allocated. All to spy on their own citizens and the citizens of others.
Coincidently, this article was just posted about street art by Banksy near that building.

http://m.smh.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/banksy-behind-spy-mural-near-britains-intelligence-headquarters-20140611-zs3j0.html

Edit: Clearly, someone is listening is to your thoughts. Best put on the tinfoil

Last edited by thaifood; Jun 10, 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Spy stuff
thaifood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:02 PM   #25
guerro
macrumors regular

Have they already dug out and finished the secret underground bunker?
guerro is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion