Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TimesOnline reports on talks of a Disney buyout of Pixar... but also curiously mentions rumors of a wireless iPod:

Apple is also understood to be working on the next generation of iPods, which would have the ability to connect wirelessly to the internet.

There has long been rumors/speculation on Bluetooth enabled iPods to wireless connect to Speakers/Headphones, however the concept of a true wireless Internet iPod has not been frequently discussed.

We made one previous mention of it in September 2003. At that time, an author was discussing the concept of "Everywhere Internet Audio":

Imagine, if you will, an iPod as a wireless digital ladle. It would dip into a nearly bottomless stream of continual music, scooping up any song you wanted, when you wanted, where you wanted.

It's unclear if The Times is actually aware of such plans or simply has inadvertently misinterpreted circulating rumors, but does make for an interesting concept.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Podcasting for XM radio would be what this iPod could turn out to be. Overblown and pointless. I have no idea what's the fascination with wireless audio, except for bluetooth headphones, which would be great. I hate wires dangling in front of me while working out. But I don't want a wireless iPod. How would you charge them? With microwaves?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Lacero said:
Podcasting for XM radio would be what this iPod could be.

? I don't understand that.

This would be being able to wirelessly stream on-demand any song out there. A monthly fee would be the most likely model.

arn

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Since the rumored iPod Boombox is supposed to have some type of wireless capability (AirTunes?), maybe the Times are babbling on about the same story.

I still think that there's a place in the world for a stand-alone iPod variant that isn't tethered to a regular computer.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Macrumors said:
We made one previous mention of it in September 2003. At that time, an author was discussing the concept of "Everywhere Internet Audio":magine, if you will, an iPod as a wireless digital ladle. It would dip into a nearly bottomless stream of continual music, scooping up any song you wanted, when you wanted, where you wanted.

The big shots in the music industry would love the ipod more for this......yea right.

Bless

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
that would be a brilliant move for disney.. they really need a company like pixar.

elmimmo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2002
Spain
Ha! Jobs is not just Pixar's CEO. He simply OWNS Pixar. Why would he do that for? Money? Jobs, who is already filthy rich, more than time he has got to spend it? No way it is going to happen, unless there is more to this than is being told.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hmmm... Combine the subscription model with satellite radio and loss of battery life. I'm skeptical.

Probably one of those rumors that has SOMETHING behind it but not what it sounds like.

Also, browsing a "universal jukebox" of music on an iPod, with just a wheel and no keyboard to search with sounds like a pain. What would be better is to do your searching ahead of time on your computer with its nice big screen, keyboard, mouse, and existing Internet connection. Then load your iPod from that. Oh, wait... we already can do that...

wireless digital ladle
Now THAT is a thing I could use. My current ladle's cord gets tangled like you would not believe.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS?

Eventually you will have your iPod and be able to stream your iTunes library from your computer anywhere you want. You could have your iPod at the coffee shop down the street, and you would be streaming your music from your computer 3 miles away in your apartment. You could be on a roadtrip in California, 2,000 miles away, and streaming your iTunes library from your apartment onto your iPod.

Verizon (and someone else I think?) already have wireless broadband networks. Forget about getting a iPod with a 200 GB harddrive. You won't need it. You will just stream your music and videos ANYWHERE to your iPod. The future of the iPod is without a hardddrive. All the iPod will be in the future is an antenna and a screen, receiving a hi-speed stream of all your music and media files.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I am pretty drunk and I don't know if what I just posted is technologically feasible. I don't see why not though.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Gherkin said:
DO YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS?

Eventually you will have your iPod and be able to stream your iTunes library from your computer anywhere you want. You could have your iPod at the coffee shop down the street, and you would be streaming your music from your computer 3 miles away in your apartment. You could be on a roadtrip in California, 2,000 miles away, and streaming your iTunes library from your apartment onto your iPod.

Verizon (and someone else I think?) already have wireless broadband networks. Forget about getting a iPod with a 200 GB harddrive. You won't need it. You will just stream your music and videos ANYWHERE to your iPod. The future of the iPod is without a hardddrive. All the iPod will be in the future is an antenna and a screen, receiving a hi-speed stream of all your music and media files.
Why do you need to stream music from your computer if your iPod already syncs up with it? I don't think people would buy an iPod without a HDD.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
Seems like major news institutions are really in to the Apple rumors, I find that a little bit odd.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
EricNau said:
Why do you need to stream music from your computer if your iPod already syncs up with it? I don't think people would buy an iPod without a HDD.

I think the bigger picture is streaming your music from iTunes Music Store itself, and have access to every song.

arn

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
EricNau said:

Dude. You never have to sync up with your iPod ever again. Stream isn't such a good word to use, it has bad connotations (drop outs, inferior quality). I don't know if the wireless broadband networks are this good yet, but I'm talking about a constant, instant connection to your library at home on your iPod, WHEREVER you are. No dropouts, perfect quality.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
arn said:
I think the bigger picture is streaming your music from iTunes Music Store itself, and have access to every song.

arn

Yea, that's important too (and yes, a HUGE selling point). But some people also have a ton of music that isn't on the store and they want access too.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Well.. dropping the harddrive and adding wireless for streaming from your computer would be cool... as long as you can find a wireless network. Which is not everywhere.......

It would prolly save some battery time, tho..

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Poff said:
Well.. dropping the harddrive and adding wireless for streaming from your computer would be cool... as long as you can find a wireless network. Which is not everywhere.......

It would prolly save some battery time, tho..

Verizon and other companies have wireless broadband networks though. I'm not talking about a coffee shop hot spot. I'm talking you could be standing in a field in the middle of Kansas and you will still be streaming all the music from the iTunes Music Store and from your computer.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Wow. If Apple would pull through with this idea, they would probably command 95% of the market. It's just such a genius idea. They just have to figure out how to make it cost feasible.

tmornini

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Francisco
What if your iPod could share...

...it's library, or what you're listening to, or both.

Imagine browsing anyone's library attached to the same wireless network.

Imagine buying music online anywhere you're at.

Imagine coming home and pumping out music through your home stereo via Airtunes, and through the boombox in your bedroom.

All that plus video *will* happen, someday!

--
-- Tom Mornini

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.