Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
It's a far more significant update than I was expecting. Looking forward to reading reviews about it.

I just wish that they would build a simple wi-fi module into the camera for quick and easy transfer of an image to a tablet or phone. The camera could still be used with Nikon's sophisticated (and expensive) wi-fi adaptor for those who need all the extra features.

For example, only last night I was asked by a client to immediately send an image to them so they could tweet it. Thankfully I have the little wi-fi adaptor for the D600 which allows me to send images to my phone or tablet (where I can then do a quick edit of the image using Snapseed before emailing the client). I don't carry a laptop with me any more, just a phone and tablet - it saves a lot of space and weight!

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
D810

Not sure if you guys are talking about the same camera. :confused:
The D810 looks like a very slightly improved D800E.
Dont get me wrong, it will probably produce the best IQ money can buy, but at 3300€ :cool:
Thats double the price of the D610 and 600€ more than the Df+50mm 1.8g kit.

I doubt mere mortals will be able to tell the difference between those three dslrs.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
After 13 years using Nikon cameras, I'm switching to the GH4. That's what I think about the D810. It's a little bit better in most aspects than the D800, but video seems to be an afterthought. That's fine, they have every right to even skip video altogether and focus (haha) on still, but that's not where the market is going. And I'd LOVE a C300 or a BMPC à la Nikon.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's a little bit better in most aspects than the D800, but video seems to be an afterthought. That's fine, they have every right to even skip video altogether and focus (haha) on still, but that's not where the market is going. And I'd LOVE a C300 or a BMPC à la Nikon.
the D800 is, imo the best dslr for video. Except for 4k, but thats a different story altogether.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I'm generally not interested in DSLRs, but this is a nice camera. Best feature: ISO64. Definitely a step in the right direction (I'd like to see native ISO 25, if possible).

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Not sure if you guys are talking about the same camera. :confused:
The D810 looks like a very slightly improved D800E.
Dont get me wrong, it will probably produce the best IQ money can buy, but at 3300€ :cool:
Thats double the price of the D610 and 600€ more than the Df+50mm 1.8g kit.

I doubt mere mortals will be able to tell the difference between those three dslrs.

Ah, but the beings that produce blog reviews and do testing will be able to tell :D. I can't personally justify the price over a D610 but I'm just interested if it really brings anything new. Where do improvements in IQ stop? If 99% of the population can no longer tell the difference withought technological testing then what's the point? To be able to blow the same image up larger and larger?

Referencing some of my recent posts the thing that I'm really interested in is increased low light performance. Personally I'm not going to pay double for the ability of the 810 over the 610 in high ISO but I'm interested in seeing where that's going. I guess I'm more interested in seeing a new camera's ability to produce high IQ in difficult situations then it's mind blowing IQ in perfect situations.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I'm generally not interested in DSLRs, but this is a nice camera. Best feature: ISO64. Definitely a step in the right direction (I'd like to see native ISO 25, if possible).
D610 goes to IsO50.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
D610 goes to IsO50.

There's a difference between the D610's base sensor ISO of 100 and the ISO 50 setting. The D810 also has an artificial low ISO setting- but it's not 50, it's 32. The artificial low ISO settings are in effect just the same as adding a stop of exposure compensation to the base ISO shot, then reducing the exposure by a stop in post. In low-contrast scenes, this works well enough, but if the scene has high contrast, or lots of bright spots, you'll clip the highlights sooner.

Paul

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
There's a difference between the D610's base sensor ISO of 100 and the ISO 50 setting. The D810 also has an artificial low ISO setting- but it's not 50, it's 32. The artificial low ISO settings are in effect just the same as adding a stop of exposure compensation to the base ISO shot, then reducing the exposure by a stop in post. In low-contrast scenes, this works well enough, but if the scene has high contrast, or lots of bright spots, you'll clip the highlights sooner.
Paul
Thx. Didnt know the D810 had actual base ISO64.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
It has some nice features that I would have liked to have in my D800, but I don't know if it's enough for me to upgrade. I normally don't buy camera's as soon as they are released. If I were to purchase the D810, I would wait 6+ months after it's release, or even see if the price will drop. Other than that, I will continue shooting with my D800.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
why there is no 4K video when even gopro hero 4 is rumored to have it in few months? Why is Nikon slacking there? Am I missing something?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Do any of you guys think there is too many cameras in Nikons line up? With so many cameras, many of the features overlap and the best features are not always on the best camera.
You just want a much simpler approach IMO.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I like the updated video stuff. I just wish it had focus peaking.. the Zebra are a nice touch though.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
I generally think these kinds of incremental updates are the best ones. The exciting all-new products are usually flawed in one way or another but making a good camera better is a good move even if it doesn't get people excited.

It's much like when Apple makes an OS update like Leopard or Mountain Lion that doesn't add many fancy features but does make things run better and faster. They end up being the ones you most want to live with.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
Preordered yesterday from Adorama, so uh, I hope it's good.

As much as I would love to see a "true" successor to the D700 (i.e. D4s-minus, like the D700 was a D3-minus), I actually have enjoyed the D800 the few times I rented it. 36MP was (and still is) pretty woefully unnecessary, namely because it came at the expense of low-light performance, and the giant files still absolutely crush/overheat my RBP... but that doesn't mean that it hasn't had its advantages. Being able to crop down super-far while still having a print quality image is pretty sweet.

That said, questions too:

- I would very much like to have this thing on or before July 31. Odds that I get it by then, given Nikon's "late July" promise?

- sRAW: any advantages other than the much smaller file size? Or more importantly, any _disadvantages_, other than the lower resolution?

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
namely because it came at the expense of low-light performance

Downsample the images. It doesn't overcome the well-depth issue completely, but averaging several sensels' worth of information is an adequate substitute for most any situation and works surprisingly well.

Paul

----------

I think most folks have missed the significance here. Lots of shooters want more and more high-ISO performance. Dropping the sensor's base ISO down a stop and still maintaining high-ISO performance is a decent improvement. This is also the cost of resolution, I suspect that they're limited by the well depth of the sensels at the high end, and given the appearance of landscape shooters flocking to the D800E, this is a good strategic move. If I were Nikon marketing, I'd be encouraging sunny day beach images for comparisons.

Oh, the electronic shutter is also very interesting- if I were looking for a new DSLR, this one would probably be high on my list.

Paul

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.