Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2014
Hi,

Yesterday, I went to the bestbuy store with an edu disscount and a movers coupon in order to buy me a new rMBP 13". (8/256) They woudn't let me to use the movers coupon on the macbook (they said that the coupon can't be used for macs and they even tried to scan it and it didn't work) after 30 minutes of talking with all the managers (which all said the same - that i can't use this coupon for the macbook) and saying that I read in macrumors that a lot of people used both of the coupons I eventually bought it only with the edu disscount. (1275+tax)

Does anyone has an advice of how can I get also the movers disscount?or why they woudn't let me to use it?

Thanks,
Daniel

btw, here is my coupon, maybe its not the legit one?
zlbss9.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What does the details on the back say? Anything about it being valid for Best Buy?

I mean its doesn't look like a Best Buy coupon, so why would they honor it?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
What does the details on the back say? Anything about it being valid for Best Buy?

It looks like a Best Buy coupon...look at font and color. However I worked there as of 2v months ago and never saw that.

ND40oz

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
I used the one from the movers guide website without any issues, guy didn't think it would work but scanned it anyway and it worked fine.

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014

It is a Best Buy coupon, it's provided in the USPS change of address/mover's packet. Anyone can grab it from the post office. I've been hearing from a lot of people that they had no problem using this with the student coupon, but all that was at least a few days ago. This person however claims that he/she tried it yesterday and it didn't work....I'm wondering if Best Buy changed their system recently so that the mover's coupon doesn't work on macs? I hope they didn't though, I was planning on using it soon :(

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
I used the one from the movers guide website without any issues, guy didn't think it would work but scanned it anyway and it worked fine.

Did you have to fill out the application to get the coupon?

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
The coupon does work if they scan it, most likely they were instructed to not combine them. Try another BB.

danielme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2014
They scanned it and it didn't work..
the pic i uploaded is the legit movers coupon? They said its not legit for Apple computers.

danielme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2014
They said that macs are UMRP products and the coupon isn't legit for UMRP products.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
I used a mover's coupon on the $2600 model that was on sale for $2470.

Ended up getting it for $2220 + $135 tax.

No idea why they won't take it. Only thing they wouldn't do was take my $150 student discount because I already had the 10% coupon. Woulda had it for $2070...

gbkrip

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Nebraska
I just used a mover's coupon to purchase an iPad. My memory is foggy, but that does not look like the coupon I had. Perhaps it is an outdated version (which would explain why it didn't work?). Visit a local USPS office and grab a mover's packet to compare. I think there is no reason it shouldn't work for a macbook.

ND40oz

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011
Did you have to fill out the application to get the coupon?

Yeah, you fill out the application, pay the $1.05, get the coupon(s) that you want and then don't complete the move application.

The coupons do stack, just use the edu one first and then the movers one.

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
I just used a mover's coupon to purchase an iPad. My memory is foggy, but that does not look like the coupon I had. Perhaps it is an outdated version (which would explain why it didn't work?). Visit a local USPS office and grab a mover's packet to compare. I think there is no reason it shouldn't work for a macbook.

I just grabbed one from the post office like two days ago, mine looks like that. If yours looked different, this is most likely the newest/updated coupon.

----------

They said that macs are UMRP products and the coupon isn't legit for UMRP products.

What is UMRP?

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, you fill out the application, pay the $1.05, get the coupon(s) that you want and then don't complete the move application.

The coupons do stack, just use the edu one first and then the movers one.

Huh, that's weird. The website one says it excludes UMRP (Unilateral Minimum Resale Price) items, which would most likely be Apple products.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
It is odd that it didn't scan in their system. I've used 2 with no problem on either one. As someone else stated, grab another one from the Post Office and try again at a different Best Buy if possible.

ND40oz

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2011

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Try ordering online with in-store pick up.

The mover's coupon is not able to be entered online. When I got my rMBP, I also had a 10 percent off coupon that was able to be used online. I tried to stack it with my student discount and the online system would not allow me to combine. I ended up just going to the store and purchasing where I had no problems.

It is starting to look like they have blocked the ability to stack these coupons though. Several others are stating it no longer works when they try in store.

hj123456

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
I don't understand the UMRP policy completely, but if Apple products are considered UMRP products how can Best Buy hold a sale on them? From my understanding it just seems that they have blocked the ability to stack both coupons, not that 10% coupon excludes macbooks. Man I really hope this isn't true though I was planning on trying to use both coupons :(

Ahuynh616

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
On the $150 edu coupon there is fine print saying you cannot combine the coupon with other offers. That's the reasoning the sales guy gave me for not letting me use the movers coupon also.

DaSamAy

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
It Worked...
I just used the Movers Coupon for Best Buy. I got the coupon from the post office this morning and just used it online to purchase a Mid 2014 rMBP. The coupon gave me 10% off. Now I am just waiting for the text to tell me that its ready for pickup. :)

Edit:
Got It! My First Macbook Pro! So Happy...

Last edited:

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
That coupon looks just like the one I got from USPS this week. No cost. Nothing to fill out. Just ask at the counter.

Used the code online for 10% discount.

Then tried to add EDUC code. No work. Tried EDUC code only, all is fine. Try to add movers and will not add/stack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.