Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Teardown of New 16 GB iPod Touch Reveals Same Internals and Layout as Larger Capacity Models

The teardown experts at iFixit have promptly torn down Apple's refreshed 16 GB iPod touch, a day after the device was announced and went on sale. The $199 iPod touch is Apple's new entry-level touch model, adopting the camera and color options of the existing fifth-generation models.

The teardown analysis of the 2014 16 GB model found no significant changes from Apple's current 32 GB and 64 GB iPod touch models, which were released in 2012. This "refreshed" device includes the same components as the existing 32 GB iPod touch variant, but with half the storage.
Quote:
At least, that's the way this camera-laden, 16 GB iPod Touch came to be. We delved inside Apple's "refreshed" device and found the same components we'd seen in Touches of yesteryear, but with 16 GB of on-board flash memory. So it's not really that this 16 GB variant gains a camera -- instead, it loses half of its 32 GB of storage.
Apple has on occasion taken the opportunity of minor product updates to test out new components, but there is little evidence of that occurring with the new iPod touch. Several of the chips have slightly different part numbers than seen on the original fifth-generation iPod touch teardown, but it is not uncommon for such components to be tweaked at times over a product's lifetime. Overall, the layout of the logic board components on the new iPod touch appears identical to that of the original fifth-generation model, providing no evidence of any significant internal changes.

Besides hardware components, the 16 GB iPod touch also shares the same poor repairability of its higher capacity counterparts. As noted in iFixit's original teardown of the fifth-generation iPod touch, the device received a 3 out of 10 repairability score because of its non-removable battery and linked components that must be replaced in groups.

Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch is recognized for its ultrathin form factor and its bright color options, but the hardware is more than a generation behind, with an A5 processor and 5-megapixel iSight camera that put the device's internals on par with the iPhone 4s.

Even with the relatively dated hardware, however, it is unclear when we should expect a more substantial upgrade for the line. Apple traditionally uses its September event to unveil new iPod hardware, but with iPod sales in decline and this recent refresh and price drop to rekindle interest in the device, it is unlikely that Apple will make further changes to its iPod touch lineup in the immediate future.

Article Link: Teardown of New 16 GB iPod Touch Reveals Same Internals and Layout as Larger Capacity Models
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

IPT eventually will be replaced by a version with phone capabilities.

You buy a prepaid-card from any provider and IPT is an iPhone when you need it.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Richardgm
macrumors 6502

So just to be clear, they announced a 2 year old product. Got it.
Richardgm is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Z8beema
macrumors 6502

Article Link: Teardown of New 16 GB iPod Touch Reveals Same Internals and Layout as Larger Capacity Models[/QUOTE]

Excellent investigative work *rolls eyes*
Z8beema is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:31 AM   #5
roland.g
macrumors 603

We've got a new model, which is the old model with less capacity, no smoke and mirrors.

"I think we need to take it apart and make sure they didn't change anything else"

That seems like effort well spent.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:33 AM   #6
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I'm half-surprised iFixit didn't find a soldered screen and battery glued with industrial adhesive.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:33 AM   #7
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
We've got a new model, which is the old model with less capacity, no smoke and mirrors.

"I think we need to take it apart and make sure they didn't change anything else"

That seems like effort well spent.
it's a lazy move from apple. they could of dropped prices even more.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:36 AM   #8
tigres
macrumors 68040

Beginning to see how that pipeline is bursting at the seams; rinse and repeat.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Right price two years later

This should have been the original lineup/ price in 2012, and retire the fourth gen right away
Tiger8 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:40 AM   #10
t.gillespie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgm View Post
No, they announced massive drop in price on 1 and 1/2 year old product..

64GB model dropped 25% ($100) from $399 to $299 - I'd say that worth an announcement..
t.gillespie is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:40 AM   #11
Paddle1
macrumors 6502a

There is a mistake. The iPhone 4s and up all have 8 Megapixel cameras.
Paddle1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:41 AM   #12
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post

Isn't that an existing unlocked iPhone that you can buy from Apple? Why would Apple want to lower margins??
mtneer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:45 AM   #13
Zxxv
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they will break the user experience to crap on this model once they release iOS 8 later this year totally pissing off those who bought it for their kids this summer?

If they do it'll be a great way to loose customers by souring the taste in their mouths
Zxxv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:45 AM   #14
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!!!!

lol. I wonder what this means for this fall when they usually update the iPod line... Is this a sign the iPods are stagnating and only getting minor updates from now on? A 500GB iPod classic would be nice.
lotzosushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:47 AM   #15
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

I suspect that we've just seen this year's only iPod update. Shame.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:47 AM   #16
ISanych
macrumors member

Quote:
It will be 3 years old in 2 months.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:53 AM   #17
crsh1976
macrumors regular

Quote:
This news also confirms that it's a non-news.
crsh1976 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:53 AM   #18
ChrisCW11
macrumors regular

iPod Touch, dead or a phoenix to rise again?

This pricing could suggest Apple is trying to offload iPod stock and parts and kill the line. I mean anybody with an iPhone does not need IPT, and there is definitely a trend where people want larger screens so iPad's and iPad Mini's fill that gap. They could always rebrand IPT the iPad Nano or something.

But, remember that this generation of iPod introduced a new form factor for iDevices that the iPad Air, Mini and now the iPhone have all adopted. So IPT could remain as a "test" platform for future ideas Apple wants to try out before investing into their flagship products. IPT is still the thinnest iDevice out there, and it used to have the same core components as iPad's and iPhones at the time.

If Apple does continues the iPod product, we could see a new model in a year or two that might be a harbinger of what future iPhones and iPads will look like. Work out the kinks of a new design, process or assembly technique, maybe we will see one wrapped in sapphire, or a curved screen.

However, we are definitely in a "post-iPod" era and it may not be worthwhile to invest any more time, effort or money into a product line that is increasingly irrelevant, so Apple is just dumping stock.
ChrisCW11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:55 AM   #19
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post

Is this troll bait?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:57 AM   #20
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISanych View Post
It will be 3 years old in 2 months.
The 5th gen iPod Touch was released October 11, 2012.
LSUtigers03 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:01 AM   #21
efktd
macrumors regular

A lot has happened on 2 years. This hasn't.
efktd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:04 AM   #22
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCW11 View Post

If Apple does continues the iPod product, we could see a new model in a year or two that might be a harbinger of what future iPhones and iPads will look like. Work out the kinks of a new design, process or assembly technique, maybe we will see one wrapped in sapphire, or a curved screen.
Doubtful. Why would you want to introduce new, expensive technologies via your most price-sensitive product category?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
it's a lazy move from apple. they could of dropped prices even more.
The iPod line is what is known as a "cash cow." High market share, low growth. To be milked for profits that fund your growth businesses. Classic business strategy.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:07 AM   #23
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
I wonder if they will break the user experience to crap on this model once they release iOS 8 later this year totally pissing off those who bought it for their kids this summer?

If they do it'll be a great way to loose customers by souring the taste in their mouths
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
I'm shocked. SHOCKED!!!!

lol. I wonder what this means for this fall when they usually update the iPod line... Is this a sign the iPods are stagnating and only getting minor updates from now on? A 500GB iPod classic would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
I suspect that we've just seen this year's only iPod update. Shame.
I have too suspicions that are completely based on only my own thoughts. Therfore we should place this as front page news.

1. With iOS 8, they will update the iPod Touch line with a processor upgrade and older versions will run slower (this prediction should be a surprise to almost noone).

2. If Apple ever gets past the lawsuits over iMessage and FaceTime technology and finally opens it up to others, we could see the ipod touch being an entry level phone that requires no carrier plan subscription. Kind of works that way now with skype, but Apple marketing would only sell this feature when its all Apple.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:14 AM   #24
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Wow. The amazing new MacBook Air with a slight processor increase and $100 price drop, the revolutionary breathtaking slower iMac, and the groundbreaking new iPod touch. So far 2014 has been an extraordinary year for Apple. As Tim Cook said "Only Apple could make such amazing hardware and software"

"This is truly the best pipeline I've ever seen in 25 years" -Eddy Cue

In all honestly, it's kinda pathetic to see how cheap Tim Cook is. The 5th gen 16GB iPod touch with out a camera was around for a little over a year. Just because Tim Cook is a cheap greedy cow. The new iMac reinforces that! And the new iPod touch pretty much shows that as well.

Only Apple......
Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:21 AM   #25
Traverse
macrumors 65816

If they don't at least update them to the A6 chip in the fall, then I will truly believe they are dead.
Traverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion