Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
"best product pipeline I've seen in the past 25 years at Apple." - Eddy Cue

Was he referring to this "new" 16GB iPod Touch? :eek:

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Now that iPod lineup is uptodate, I'm eagerly waiting for the rerelease of 2006 Mac mini. Can't innovate my 455!

Seriously, this must be one of those less exciting updates from Apple, hopefully signifying a great fall with new product categories.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I think this will be all the updating this year for the touch I think Apple thinks, and I'm not sure they are incorrect, that the given audience for the touch, isn't really looking at the internals.

I'm tempted to pick up a 64gb myself to replace my 16 that I'm pretty happy with, just would like a bit more space. If all I was interested in was the touch's music playback is it an ok deal. I won't be playing games etc.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I considered getting my two youngest kids one of these... but... I'll hold off until the specs get updated. I'm not going to pay this much for tech that's three years old.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I wonder if they will break the user experience to crap on this model once they release iOS 8 later this year totally pissing off those who bought it for their kids this summer?

If they do it'll be a great way to loose customers by souring the taste in their mouths

Nope, in their press release they said this and rest of the iPod Touch lineup would run iOS 8. (Presumably they only meant the current line-up though, not older models). Is that what you meant?

ISanych

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2013
UK
The 5th gen iPod Touch was released October 11, 2012.

hardware is more than a generation behind, with an A5 processor and 5-megapixel iSight camera that put the device's internals on par with the iPhone 4s.

iPhone 4S was released in October of 2011. So harware of new iPod released couple of days ago is almost 3 years old hardware.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
The iPod range will drop the touch and classic, leaving just the nano and shuffle as music players.

To mirror the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, there will be a thinner 5.5-inch iPad...it will have a Lightning jack for headphones.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
IPT eventually will be replaced by a version with phone capabilities.

You buy a prepaid-card from any provider and IPT is an iPhone when you need it.

I believe there is something to this theory. Jobs originally wanted Apple to be an MVNO in regards to the iPhone so they didn't really have to deal with carriers a lot and could set their own prices.

An iPod Touch with perhaps limited (data only) network capabilities would cannibalize the iPhone about as much as a 3G iPad mini does.

Some people want an iPhone, some want an iPod Touch, and others want something in between. There's definitely a market for a 3G iPod Touch aka iPad "Nano".

sammaffei

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
I look at it a different way

This might be an attempt to clear out a glut of parts that will no longer be viable when a new iPod is announced.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
How much processing upgrades does the iPod Touch need to play music? All I ever really see these devices used for is to play music and video.

The current lineup does this flawlessly (and, a bit colorfully). Seems to fill that need perfectly.

A price decrease is a neat gesture.
I am a bit surprised at the overall take on this news by those who generally support Apple products.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
How much processing upgrades does the iPod Touch need to play music? All I ever really see these devices used for is to play music and video.

The current lineup does this flawlessly (and, a bit colorfully). Seems to fill that need perfectly.

I am a bit surprised at the overall take on this news by those who generally support Apple products.

One might argue how much processor upgrades does an iPhone need to make calls, send texts, email, and use safari? The first generation iPhone can still do that.

Point is, Apple is using the iPhone 4S internals (2011) in their iPod touch (released in 2012) and still charges the same price for THREE YEAR OLD HARDWARE. Just like the MacBook Pro 13" (without Retina display).. that was released in 2012, and hasn't been updated since. Same $1199 for outdated hardware.

This new iPod touch continues down the amazing pipeline to join the slower overpriced iMac, and the magical $100 cheaper 0.1GHz faster MacBook Air.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
One might argue how much processor upgrades does an iPhone need to make calls, send texts, email, and use safari? The first generation iPhone can still do that.

Point is, Apple is using the iPhone 4S internals (2011) in their iPod touch (released in 2012) and still charges the same price for THREE YEAR OLD HARDWARE. Just like the MacBook Pro 13" (without Retina display).. that was released in 2012, and hasn't been updated since. Same $1199 for outdated hardware.

This new iPod touch continues down the amazing pipeline to join the slower overpriced iMac, and the magical $100 cheaper 0.1GHz faster MacBook Air.

Not all of the hardware is that old, the iPod 5th Gen has AirDrop, while the 4s doesn't because of hardware differences.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The iPod range will drop the touch and classic, leaving just the nano and shuffle as music players.

To mirror the 5.5-inch iPhone 6, there will be a thinner 5.5-inch iPad...it will have a Lightning jack for headphones.

They'll probably drop the shuffle as well just leaving the nano to maximise production economies of scale. They could easily make a 64Gb version. Eventually once the price comes down the iPhone 5c will probably replace the iPod touch.

Smaller iPad would make a great mobile gaming device to rival the PSP and DS, especially as games is the biggest growth area of the iTunes Store.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

I seldom use it to play music. The pocket computer is the attraction. Apple has allowed marketshare of iOS to drop way to far. Silly CEO sees iPT as the competition for iPhone. Foolish

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why is iFixit doing a teardown of a product that is basically a marketing refresh?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I suspect that we've just seen this year's only iPod update. Shame.

Hell no. These 4.7" and 5.5" version will have an iPod Touch configuration in some manner. iPhone 6 / Sixth generation iPod Touch. Sixes all the way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.