Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kiff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Since the introduction of the MBP (personally I don't think the name is that bad) I've been eagerly reading every Apple news-site on the web just to hear some news on the Intel Macs. I finally made the decision to go for it and Switch®! :)

I'm just doubting on one thing: Would it be better to buy an extra SO-DIMM of 1Gb or 512Mb? Or to rephrase: Go dual channel or go more memory?
As I've said I'm about to switch so I've got no clue as what memory expectations are for OSX (for WinXP 1Gb is more than enough). Once I figure this out, I'm hitting that "Order Now" button!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There are contradictory reports as to whether the MBP even supports dual-channel access at all. Personally I'd go for more RAM over dual-channel.

alienex

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
is there a way to find out if the MBP supports dual channel and what is supposed to be the advantage of dual channel instead of more ram?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
alienex said:
is there a way to find out if the MBP supports dual channel and what is supposed to be the advantage of dual channel instead of more ram?
Yes: We wait for Apple to release developer notes that say definitively one way or another what memory architecture is in the machine(s)

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/hardware2.html

However, in almost every case: 1.5 Gb total RAM unmatched trumps 1.0 Gb total RAM in matched pairs, just because of the extrra .5 Gb for the OS. Initial rumors are that the iMac Intel doesnt reach full performance until you get over 1 Gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.