Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Will FCP7 work on 10.10 Yosemite?
The answer yes it will.

Will it work well? The answer is no, FCP 7 as part of Final Cut Studio 2 and 3 was not designed to run on the new coding in Yosemite, yes you could install Rosetta if you have Snow Leopard install disk, this is a minor re-engineering of Yosemite to fool the FCS/FCP7 installer into thinking it is running on a compatible approved operating system.

You will not enjoy a pleasant experience editing, it will cause conflicts, endless cycles of rendering and dropped frames, will it handle complex "modern" that is post FCP X video codecs as well as FCP X, no.. So why bother?

You gain nothing from using outdated obsolete timelines, there is very little benefit in FCP Classic any more, that chapter is closed, you will struggle to find updates to the basic installer, if you had any sense, you would have saved the various updates, but lets be real, who had the forethought to do this...I did not, and I was shocked at how Classic struggled on my 2013 retina Macbook pro with 8GB RAM..

I thought if it run like a dream with 4, then 8 would be a breeze, oh boy was I wrong, it was a hunk of junk, beachballs, endless rendering, even then, life as a curse...Out the window it went, and I am not looking back, sad that an investment did not last as long as I had hoped it would..FCP X is the future, it is becoming more stable. OK issues with Yosemite, so I am still using 10.9.4 Mavericks for now..

Time to leave the past where it belongs, in the past, I would not consider going back, why? There is very few aspects of 7 that make it compelling to be my tool of choice..

Dark Goob

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The answer yes it will.

Will it work well? The answer is no, FCP 7 as part of Final Cut Studio 2 and 3 was not designed to run on the new coding in Yosemite, yes you could install Rosetta if you have Snow Leopard install disk, this is a minor re-engineering of Yosemite to fool the FCS/FCP7 installer into thinking it is running on a compatible approved operating system.

You will not enjoy a pleasant experience editing, it will cause conflicts, endless cycles of rendering and dropped frames, will it handle complex "modern" that is post FCP X video codecs as well as FCP X, no.. So why bother?

You gain nothing from using outdated obsolete timelines, there is very little benefit in FCP Classic any more, that chapter is closed, you will struggle to find updates to the basic installer, if you had any sense, you would have saved the various updates, but lets be real, who had the forethought to do this...I did not, and I was shocked at how Classic struggled on my 2013 retina Macbook pro with 8GB RAM..

I thought if it run like a dream with 4, then 8 would be a breeze, oh boy was I wrong, it was a hunk of junk, beachballs, endless rendering, even then, life as a curse...Out the window it went, and I am not looking back, sad that an investment did not last as long as I had hoped it would..FCP X is the future, it is becoming more stable. OK issues with Yosemite, so I am still using 10.9.4 Mavericks for now..

Time to leave the past where it belongs, in the past, I would not consider going back, why? There is very few aspects of 7 that make it compelling to be my tool of choice..

How do you know whether FCP7 will necessarily run poorly on 10.10? Your bad experience could have been caused by a conflict with an old codec file.

What specifically about 10.10 makes FCP7 unhappy?

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
The answer yes it will.

Where are you getting your information? FCP 7 is running fine on my systems that have been upgraded to 10.10. I have not noticed any trouble. Installing Rosetta will get you nothing. Rosetta is an emulation layer for running apps written for PowerPC processors. Final Cut Pro 7 is Intel native, it will run fine on any desktop i5 or i7 processor in a modern Mac.

Will FCP 7 be as Fast as FCP X 10.1.x on a modern machine? No. FCP X has all kinds of optimizations that make it faster on new hardware, but FCP 7 is not going to run any worse because of it.

The only thing to MAYBE be weary of is running FCP 7 on the low clocked processors in the MacBook Air since FCP 7 is very processor intensive and can't pull on the GPU to speed things up like FCP X can... but those chips are so much more efficient than the Core2Duos FCP 7 was designed to run on that I'm sure it would be fine there too.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I have a 2013 late november 8GB RAM macbook pro, when I tried to install Classic FCP on as I have Mavericks as my operating system, I had an error, Dr Google suggested trying Rosetta, amongst other tricks, using Rosetta worked, as I do suspect it of creating a emulation layer or some sort of similar, the point is, tried to re-install after Rosetta, and it worked..

2 things could be at fault here for my reporting faults with FCP 7, 1-a bad hardware device, the laptop is dodgy, or 2-Mavericks is faulty...I say this as well you have no issues, and I have no other issues with Mavericks, so logically I can deduce the laptop is faulty..

I always thought my retina 2013 macbookpro was a hunk of junk, from the day I bought it, and tried to use it, but was assured and even had it swapped..So as there is a fault with the 2011 model is there a general fault with the 2013 8GB model as well..I do not for 1 second suspect issues with Mavericks, I do 100% believe the laptop is faulty!

neelagrawal

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
Dropped Frames

I was always wondering why I kept getting "endless cycles of dropped frames." I always figured it was due to something with my VRAM, but now it makes sense that it was Mavericks the whole time. Thanks Justine, I appreciate the insight.

Neel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.