Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbiguousNinja

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Hey, I haven't been on these forums forever (since around the last time I got a macbook!) I'm currently looking to buy a new Retina Macbook Pro for school next fall. I was wondering if I should buy a macbook now or wait for spec bumps/new models that may come out this fall. The educational discount+ $110 gift card is pretty tempting!

Thanks!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Hey, I haven't been on these forums forever (since around the last time I got a macbook!) I'm currently looking to buy a new Retina Macbook Pro for school next fall. I was wondering if I should buy a macbook now or wait for spec bumps/new models that may come out this fall. The educational discount+ $110 gift card is pretty tempting!

Thanks!

Highly unlikely any big update is coming before fall. At most a small ghz bump that won't be noticeable like the airs.

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK

Thanks!

We're probably three months from the next release. The current version is great. It's worth it to me to wait for a 2014 version (for resale reasons).

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Since you already have a mbp you could wait until the new one is released. You may be able to sell you current computer on campus if they have a bulletin board or campus newspaper, etc.

I say wait.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

Thanks!
Depends on how bad you need to have the absolute latest model. Currently there are some great deals to be had. I recently purchased the current model and have zero regrets. I saved over 300 bucks off of Apple's "sticker price" and know I got a great machine. Plus even if you wait, a few months after you get yours a new one will come out and then you are back to square one.

Interesting_Way_924

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
What are the likely rumored features of the new MBP?

My 2008 MBP just flat out died, and so I was given a T61 as a replacement, but its still an ancient 2008 machine. I'm close to wanting to buy a machine, but I think I can wait a bit more.

I do have a work laptop cir. 2012, but I'm struggling to survive with these laptops.

Want to buy but also am willing to wait. I just want to make sure the wait is worth it :)

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
^ had the same question what all new possible updates could the new 2014 macbook pro retina could have?

plusnq

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2013
^ had the same question what all new possible updates could the new 2014 macbook pro retina could have?

What are the likely rumored features of the new MBP?

My 2008 MBP just flat out died, and so I was given a T61 as a replacement, but its still an ancient 2008 machine. I'm close to wanting to buy a machine, but I think I can wait a bit more.

I do have a work laptop cir. 2012, but I'm struggling to survive with these laptops.

Want to buy but also am willing to wait. I just want to make sure the wait is worth it :)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1622520/

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm currently looking to buy a new Retina Macbook Pro for school next fall.
Personally, I'd wait until August to finally take the plunge, but I don't expect any spec bump in the MBP line and clearly Broadwell won't be ready until late Q4 so there's no reason why you should wait for that - given your school needs.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Personally, I'd wait until August to finally take the plunge, but I don't expect any spec bump in the MBP line and clearly Broadwell won't be ready until late Q4 so there's no reason why you should wait for that - given your school needs.

agree cause if apple is going to do a spec bump ; its going to july/august since broadwell chips that most likely the rMB requires don't release till next year ; i see broadwell coming in as a early-2015(march) model and with the spec bump now that would give it a good 8-9 mnths ; which is average time

billderry

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2014
If you don't absolutely need a new computer, then buy one now. If you don't, wait for the new one. And if your computer stops working, buy the current model and you won't be disappointed.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Better still, get it on your state's tax free weekend, usually in Aug or Sept.
I forgot about that, yes see if your state has a tax free weekend. I'm lucky, I'm about 30 minutes away from an Apple store in New Hampshire where there is no sales taxes - Every weekend is tax free weekend if I wanted it to be :p

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I forgot about that, yes see if your state has a tax free weekend. I'm lucky, I'm about 30 minutes away from an Apple store in New Hampshire where there is no sales taxes - Every weekend is tax free weekend if I wanted it to be :p

That could be very dangerous. ;)

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
No one really knows what's going to happen but bottom line is the current macbook pros are pretty awesome. There is no reason not to buy something that you need.

If you have something now to use then sure wait and see what happens. If you need it then waiting isn't worth it. Just buy it.

Thanks!

----------

Which can be used to buy an itunes gift card :p

It's not iTunes credit -- it's an Apple store gift card.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
No one really knows what's going to happen but bottom line is the current macbook pros are pretty awesome. There is no reason not to buy something that you need.

If you have something now to use then sure wait and see what happens. If you need it then waiting isn't worth it. Just buy it.

----------

Which can be used to buy an itunes gift card :p

but why would you spend it on itunes gift card when you get some cases/bags/speakers or apple care $140 !! lol :)

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
How much is the sales taxes where all you guys live? I do live in NH and it's great with no sales tax or income tax, we only have food tax here.

Anyway....Whenever i am at the apple store i constantly see people walking out with 50+ iphones all the time, along with macbooks and everything else. A guy i work with has a son that works there and says full pallets of iphones are still going out weekly to ebay sellers and overseas sellers. I wonder if it is like this all over the country or just here since there is no sales tax?

Maybe i should get in on this and start selling them...

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
How much is the sales taxes where all you guys live? I do live in NH and it's great with no sales tax or income tax, we only have food tax here.

Anyway....Whenever i am at the apple store i constantly see people walking out with 50+ iphones all the time, along with macbooks and everything else. A guy i work with has a son that works there and says full pallets of iphones are still going out weekly to ebay sellers and overseas sellers. I wonder if it is like this all over the country or just here since there is no sales tax?

Maybe i should get in on this and start selling them...

lol you should ! ; and no that doesn't happen over here where people buy pallets of phones and macs from the apple store unless its a super discount or it just came out in texas where its 8.25% sales tax :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.