Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Good news everyone! The much anticipated processors are delayed again.

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-processors-delayed-arriving-july-2015/

Some say the delay is artificial due to the lack of competition.
http://wccftech.com/intels-microarchitecture-delay-analysis-schedule-shift-real/

What that means for the :apple: macbook pro is you'll likely see the haswell refresh in this years macbook pro refresh. Which will just be a slight bump in speed.

Haswell Mobile Refresh arriving by Q4 2014. Core i7-4980HQ, Core i7-4870HQ, Core i7-4770HQ, Core i5-4210H, respectively, to replace the existing 4960HQ, 4860HQ, 4760HQ, 4200H .

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-processors-delayed-arriving-july-2015/#ixzz36ZIakoJz

There are additional rumors that the macbook pro refresh will switch to the nvidia 860m graphics card.

You'll have to translate it to english in chrome. (although the translation is pretty hilarious in my opinion because it's so bad)
http://www.macx.cn/thread-2132058-1-1.html

I see a lot of people waiting and with school coming up it doesn't seem like the wait is worthwhile unless you really want the 860m graphics card.

Edit:
http://thepcenthusiast.com/5th-gen-intel-broadwell-processors-release-date/
http://thepcenthusiast.com/intel-broadwell-skylake-release-date-revealed/

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That will be a kick in the pants if its true :(

I'm not in the market for a new MBP, but I may be by the time intel gets their act together.

taelan28

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2014
Haswell was all about energy efficiency. I think Ivy bridge was as well. I dont think Apple will go backwards and put in a dedicated Nvidia chip that prosumers will narily use. Or they would order graphic-less chips and have the Nvidia chip solely handle graphics, which would be a 5 year step backwards in terms of efficiency. Heck, even our game consoles have system on chips these days. I dont see them going backwards and packing in a Nvidia chip. They'll cut the price and sell more first since I dont see many people out there saying "OMG DEDICATED NVIDIA GPU, NOW I WANT ONE!"

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
This is big news. Basically a 9 month delay on new chips from Intel, who have been pretty consistent in the past.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Ahh well he only said that he gurantees broadwell will be released. He never said what chips though. It looks like the tablet/phone versions of broadwell will be released by end of year. The mobile CPU's are next year. The desktop versions in July 2015.

If true, which all signs point to say it is, this is a huge advantage for AMD to catch up.

Interesting. That goes against what the Intel CEO said just a couple of months ago.

Intel CEO 'Guarantees' Broadwell Chips by This Holiday Season

----------

That's not really accurate. The gaming consoles pack a GPU as well. It's an AMD something something. I forget off hand.

People do use the dGPU but most people don't need it. There is a demand for it though so you won't see the dGPU go away. That will never happen. You do have your choice not to get the dGPU so...

Haswell was all about energy efficiency. I think Ivy bridge was as well. I dont think Apple will go backwards and put in a dedicated Nvidia chip that prosumers will narily use. Or they would order graphic-less chips and have the Nvidia chip solely handle graphics, which would be a 5 year step backwards in terms of efficiency. Heck, even our game consoles have system on chips these days. I dont see them going backwards and packing in a Nvidia chip. They'll cut the price and sell more first since I dont see many people out there saying "OMG DEDICATED NVIDIA GPU, NOW I WANT ONE!"

----------

Ya if you already have a retina mbp you probably won't want to upgrade. Unless Apple does something unexpected like change the macbook pro with retina+ and 4k stuff and thunderbolt 3 and DDR3 quad or something stupid. Other than that I don't really see the point in upgrading.

I have the macbook pro classic 15-inch, Mid 2012 though so I'll be upgrading. The resolution would be nice for xcode.

Macbook Pro with Retina Display, Mid / Late 2014 :

Haswell 0.2 GHz speed bump.

Great.

:rolleyes:

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Makes no sense that only these Chinese sites would have this information if it were true because Intel designs and manufactures their own processors.

So what I'm saying is, these "leaks" cannot be from a supply chain in China because these chips are not designed or manufactured in China and if these leaks are based on OEM's who have contact with Intel then these leaks again wouldn't be concentrated in China and would be all over the place as it would be huge news.

This rumor I believe is false.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
I'm thinking you're referring to this page:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2156...chips-will-be-in-pcs-this-holiday-season.html

However that's back in May.

I think you'll start seeing the same articles about the delay on other tech sites soon once information is verified.

14nm is really small so it makes sense that there would be issues to perfect it.

Makes no sense that only these Chinese sites would have this information if it were true because Intel designs and manufactures their own processors.

So what I'm saying is, these "leaks" cannot be from a supply chain in China because these chips are not designed or manufactured in China and if these leaks are based on OEM's who have contact with Intel then these leaks again wouldn't be concentrated in China and would be all over the place as it would be huge news.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
It's not just the chinese website.

So Broadwell mobile will be released in February 2015 and Skylake in Q3/Q4 of 2015.

"If you look at the table above, the Broadwell Y 2+2 platform will be released somewhere in week 37 to week 40 of 2014. Meanwhile, the U 2+2 platform will be released on week 42-47, or sometime in October to November. And finally the U 2+3 platform, the better Broadwell mobiles processors, is expected to be released by week 5 to 10 of 2015, that is somewhere in February 2015.

How about the Intel Broadwell processors for the desktop PC, or for the Z97 and ZH97 motherboards that were recently released in the market? Unfortunately for PC enthusiasts and System builders, we will have to wait for one more year (starting today), since the BDW-H 4+3e LGA platform will be released by week 21 to week 26 of 2015, or somewhere in June of 2015."

http://thepcenthusiast.com/5th-gen-intel-broadwell-processors-release-date/

"Based on the leaked roadmap, Intel will be releasing the first wave of 5th generation Broadwell processors towards the end of 2014. We will be first seeing Broadwell for mobile devices, followed by Broadwell for desktop and the Broadwell K series (unlock processors) towards the middle of 2015. Like the Haswell Refresh, the 5th Gen Broadwell processors are supported by the 9 series chipset and socket LGA 1150."

http://thepcenthusiast.com/intel-broadwell-skylake-release-date-revealed/

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
prag they are just quoting the chinese sources verbatim. That is not confirmed evidence of anything just people shouting into megaphones at each other.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Ya no one knows. All we got are rumors to go by. I definitely want to be wrong in this case because I want to upgrade my macbook pro this year.:D

prag they are just quoting the chinese sources verbatim. That is not confirmed evidence of anything just people shouting into megaphones at each other.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Only thing that comes to my mind is that there is right now GIGANTIC desinformation going on.

Nobody knows for sure what will Intel and Nvidia do and most important - when.

I think this may be because of Apple.

Doubling down on secrecy? Would it go THAT far?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I wonder how this will affect Intel's tick/tock strategy since they've largely delayed this chipset by a year - I'm sure pushing skylake off by a year as well.

Good point. They'll either have to push back their entire release schedule, or have a short window for Broadwell and release Skylake, more or less, on time.

It's obvious it will also affect PC manufacturers schedules too. Like what will Apple do with their line of computers waiting on the new chip?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well it looks like Moore's law has crashed into the laws of physics.

We all expected that, and I'm sure Intel will correct the issues they're running into and/or start developing new technology to make the CPUs even faster.

As it stands, how fast do we really need computers to be anyways? My old core 2 duo laptop does everything I throw at it. Granted I'm not computing the mass of the universe but for the apps that my kids run (its there's at this point), it works well.

My Ivy Bridge MBP is plenty fast as well, Intel is in a tough spot, with less people buying laptop/desktops, and people not really needing as much horsepower they need to find ways to entice folks to buy newer computers.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
We all expected that, and I'm sure Intel will correct the issues they're running into and/or start developing new technology to make the CPUs even faster.

As it stands, how fast do we really need computers to be anyways? My old core 2 duo laptop does everything I throw at it. Granted I'm not computing the mass of the universe but for the apps that my kids run (its there's at this point), it works well.

My Ivy Bridge MBP is plenty fast as well, Intel is in a tough spot, with less people buying laptop/desktops, and people not really needing as much horsepower they need to find ways to entice folks to buy newer computers.

I beginning to wonder if it's not additional speed anymore that we will be getting as time goes on, but the ability to get new features on products due to new technology advances in the chips. An example I can think of is AirPlay Mirroring. My 2010 iMac cannot do it because of the chip (I forget which Intel model) but my 2012 MBP can do it.

With Intel and/or Apple locking certain features into a chip, that would force consumers to upgrade their PC's in order to gain access to them.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

To be honest I'm already happy enough with Haswell.

But the problem is, I'm waiting for Apple to incorporate NVIDIA Maxwell. If they did Haswell + Maxwell, I'd snap it up in a hurry, but if Apple won't incorporate Maxwell until Broadwell comes around...grrrr.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I beginning to wonder if it's not additional speed anymore that we will be getting as time goes on, but the ability to get new features on products due to new technology advances in the chips. An example I can think of is AirPlay Mirroring. My 2010 iMac cannot do it because of the chip (I forget which Intel model) but my 2012 MBP can do it.

With Intel and/or Apple locking certain features into a chip, that would force consumers to upgrade their PC's in order to gain access to them.

I think that's the direction Intel is going in at this point - just look at the focus on low power consumption and they've really improved the iGPU performance.

I was not planning on getting a new MBP this year anyways, maybe next year, I'll have to wait and see what's available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.