Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazzuolo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Hey there, I was just wondering if there is a way to use my Macbook pro (late 2011, 2.4 i5, 8gb RAM, and 500gb HD) as a screen for a Gamecube/Wii/Snes. I red some stuff about using a capture card to do this, but I’m still unsure whether this will work. Since I will be using my laptop screen as a screen for the console, ideally there would be little to no input lag. If you’ve ever played Smash, you know how important it is to not have a laggy screen.
Also, if a capture card is the answer to my question, suggestions on which one would be nice. It doesn’t have to be an HD capture card, and I don’t really want to spend loads on one either.
Finally, is my computer even powerful enough to do this? I can emulate Smash with dolphin pretty well, but I don’t know how resource intensive this is.
Thanks for your help!

P.S. If this is in the wrong section, can somebody move it? This is my first time posting, so sorry for the trouble.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, there's really not technical way to set this up as you want

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hey there, I was just wondering if there is a way to use my Macbook pro (late 2011, 2.4 i5, 8gb RAM, and 500gb HD) as a screen for a Gamecube/Wii/Snes. I red some stuff about using a capture card to do this, but I’m still unsure whether this will work. Since I will be using my laptop screen as a screen for the console, ideally there would be little to no input lag. If you’ve ever played Smash, you know how important it is to not have a laggy screen.
Also, if a capture card is the answer to my question, suggestions on which one would be nice. It doesn’t have to be an HD capture card, and I don’t really want to spend loads on one either.
Finally, is my computer even powerful enough to do this? I can emulate Smash with dolphin pretty well, but I don’t know how resource intensive this is.
Thanks for your help!

P.S. If this is in the wrong section, can somebody move it? This is my first time posting, so sorry for the trouble.
Not doable without horrendous lag. No external port is connected straight to the display.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
Sadly no way to do this without buying overpriced peripherals and having insane lag.

If you are wanting the original hardware like myself just wait till you are home and relaxing at the TV to enjoy some good old console games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.