Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Is iOS 8 B3 usable as a daily driver?

Already seeing lots of posts pop up frustrated at persistent bugs that have not been addressed.

Please refrain from "it's a beta" remarks.

b1gted

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Bartlesville, OK

Already seeing lots of posts pop up frustrated at persistent bugs that have not been addressed.

Although its a beta, it is very frustrating to think in 3 weeks they can't squash imessage bugs. :)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Switched back to iOS 7.1.2 from b2. While I completely understand what it means to be a beta, I couldn't handle it on my daily driver.

Looking forward to using iOS 8 when it's officially released.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
So far it seems more stable than b2, but you have to give it a few hours to be used in different scenarios.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
You know what's funny? I feel as if iOS 8 has far more bugs than iOS 7 did in the beta stages, and iOS 7 was a complete overhaul of iOS. I personally didn't expect the iOS 8 betas to be so buggy.

It could make sense though considering all the new features iOS 8 brings to the table. I'm wondering if they'll have all the kinks out in time for the GM, something they couldn't even accomplish with iOS 7.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm already annoyed that the earphone controls to play/pause songs crashes the music app as I use it at work when Im working and don't want to reach for the phone to change tracks.

I'll give it a few days but will keep my Macbook nearby in case I want to restore.

dtlee1974

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
You know what's funny? I feel as if iOS 8 has far more bugs than iOS 7 did in the beta stages, and iOS 7 was a complete overhaul of iOS. I personally didn't expect the iOS 8 betas to be so buggy.

It could make sense though considering all the new features iOS 8 brings to the table. I'm wondering if they'll have all the kinks out in time for the GM, something they couldn't even accomplish with iOS 7.

iOS 7 was more of a reskin than an overhaul. It *looks* like an overhaul, but when you think about it, it didn't change all that much as far as functionality goes. iOS 8 is changing much more under the hood than 7 did but doesn't look very different. It might actually be the biggest upgrade since the app store became available.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I think you should let people use beta 3 for at least a day before asking if it is ready to be used as a daily driver.

I've gotten a lot of responses that are specific and actually helpful, but thank you!

Good question. Let's see what the consensus so far is:

Looks like the answer is no.

I've gotten a lot of responses that are specific and actually helpful, it's great to have them all in one thread for other's to review, but thank you!

And read all the posts of people reporting issues now. :)

I've gotten a lot of responses that are specific and actually helpful, it's great to have them all in one thread for other's to review, but thank you!

gglittle

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Although its a beta, it is very frustrating to think in 3 weeks they can't squash imessage bugs. :)

Aaaannnd why should they? You are assuming that betas progress linearly with each release, progressively improving on the last. That is not how betas work, since a given beta can easily address issues that have nothing to do with prior releases, even regress to prior bugs in some areas. The questions is, are you finding issues with the iMessage areas that are mentioned in the release notes, and if so, have you bugged them to Apple?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Depends on your usage. For me. The issues I had in beta 2 were addressed. I used 2 as a daily. 3 is even better.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I don't even find anything new in IOS 8 that I use as compared to IOS 7. Is there any feature, you really want? If not, its buggy and frustrating at times.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
So far the biggest issues seem to be abysmal battery life and a few random resprings. I'm letting the battery go all the way down and giving it a full recharge so we'll see if that changes anything.

zemaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
Definetly not! It still locks up frequently and apps crash a lot. Then there is the horrible battery life and general slowness od the OS.

On the bright side things are nowhere as bad as beta 1.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012

Its a beta. Hold for Gold Master. If you have to ask the question.....

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
So far I had only issues using the AppStore. Searching doesn't always work, but apart from that I haven't experienced any serious issues. Of course, time will tell how stable it is.
I decided to install the beta 3 to all my iOS devices, since now it can use the legacy iCloud storage..I did the same with Yosemite..

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
No problems for me so far that I've come across, give it a go, if you have problems then go back to 7, it doesn't take a lot of your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.