Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone5s2013

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2013
using it as daily driver.of course beta string meant some issue is still exist (iMessage 's scroll text wrong, QuickType is not show, wifi hostpot)

Thanks.

wolsoncpa

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2013
I think it's better than beta 2 but you have to be willing to put up with some apps not working. Most of the bugs that are reported are minor annoyances and/or can be removed by doing a clean install plus regular reboots. It seems if I leave the phone on any longer than a day, I need to restart it to get it to work 100% correctly (this was an issue in beta 2, not sure it's in beta 3 yet).

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
No, I wouldn't say to use it as daily driver. I'm getting graphical glitches and numerous issues on my iPad.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
With beta 3 now out I decided to give it a go as my daily driver for the rest of this week just for kicks and giggles. Here are my observations after 20 hours with it:

1. Calendar view on the notification center is hit and/or miss if it updates correctly.
2. iMessage doesn't seem to work. When I send one out to another iDevice, on my phone it says that it sent as an iMessage but on the receiving end it was received as a standard sms.
3. The location services icon (slanted triangle) is always on even after a reboot and killing all apps. I have no idea why. It isn't draining the battery but it is kinda of annoying. I probably will be filing a bug on this.

These bugs aren't enough yet to make me switch back to 7 but I am not sure I will keep 8 past this week.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I'm ok with using it daily although I am annoyed by the music app bug where it crashes if you use headphone play/pause buttons.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Is iOS 8 B3 usable as a daily driver?

Already seeing lots of posts pop up frustrated at persistent bugs that have not been addressed.

Please refrain from "it's a beta" remarks.

It's a beta.

There's nothing more to say whether you like the remark or not. That's why its for developers, because we understand this kind of thing.

It doesn't get truly stable until around release 4 / GM seed.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
It's a beta.

There's nothing more to say whether you like the remark or not. That's why its for developers, because we understand this kind of thing.

Truth. In my short time with beta 3 though I've noticed a big improvement in stability. There is a bug that causes a respring when you try to download an app from the purchased list though, but that's what bug reporter is there for.

No matter how you look at it, betas will always have bugs. Hell, even final releases have bugs, the difference is that developers are willing to live with them whatever they are, because they know they'll be fixed eventually.

To answer to your question, Beta 3 is the most stable yet. It still has the Bluetooth LE bug that's been there since beta 1 though, so my Pebble watch will just have to fight it out.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
It's a beta.

There is nothing in the MacRumors terms of use that prohibit non-developers from discussing beta versions of iOS or OS X- the only restriction is that you can't provide links or instructions to download the betas.

There are fewer people this year actually complaining about things not working right, and a higher percentage of people simply inquiring as to what works and what doesn't work. People are learning that they should do their homework before they install beta software, and that is to be commended. If a developer is frustrated by non-devs discussing iOS betas, they can go to the Apple developer forum where they can freely discuss things from a developer's perspective to their heart's content. But MacRumors will not likely prevent discussion of current or future iOS betas, even from non-devs.

I do think Apple should prevent beta users from being allowed to review apps, however- negative reviews left due to bugs caused by betas are the sole way in which non-developers can hurt developers.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
If you don't mind random resprings then it isn't bad. Most issues I was having in Beta 2 are no longer there, but I get random resprings often.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
It's a beta.

There's a lot more to say, as noted in all the other posts in this thread.

I used iOS 7 beta since the day it was released, and it was usable for me as a daily driver by beta 3.

It's a valid question, and the insight that people have given thusfar has been very helpful to me.

Why do you find the need to come into this thread, not give a helpful response, say exactly what I asked people not to say in the OP, etc?

I understand what a beta is. I know what developing is. No need to be on a high horse about it my friend.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
There's a lot more to say, as noted in all the other posts in this thread.

I used iOS 7 beta since the day it was released, and it was usable for me as a daily driver by beta 3.

It's a valid question, and the insight that people have given thusfar has been very helpful to me.

Why do you find the need to come into this thread, not give a helpful response, say exactly what I asked people not to say in the OP, etc?

I understand what a beta is. I know what developing is. No need to be on a high horse about it my friend.

You're telling people to not tell you the answer. There's no high horse here just the reality of the situation.

Betas break things all the time. Just because something works in one beta doesn't mean it will work in another. Apple puts release notes up for all the known bugs each release so anyone can look at it and see what is broken/fixed/is a known issue.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 8 is packed with new features and code, it may take longer to make it run in a stable manner.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
You're telling people to not tell you the answer. There's no high horse here just the reality of the situation.

Betas break things all the time. Just because something works in one beta doesn't mean it will work in another. Apple puts release notes up for all the known bugs each release so anyone can look at it and see what is broken/fixed/is a known issue.

The reality of the situation is that dozens of people have posted dozens of comments in this thread giving us first hand personal accounts of what their experience is using the the beta. And I'm very thankful for that. It is much more valuable, useful, and human compared to a set of release notes.

Again, thank you everyone who's chiming in with helpful input!

Cheers.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Betas seem to have a mind of their own. While one device may have issues with app/feature A, B, and E... another device will just fine with those, and throw a fit with app/feature C and D.

I have iOS 8 B3 installed on 3 test devices right now... A certain app will work just fine on device (A) all day and then, randomly start crashing on the same device later!

There's really no way of saying whether iOS B3 will work good enough on *your* device, regardless of how it works on anyone else's.

The best answer is, imo, try it out first hand. You may have very trivial issues/bugs...maybe none at all !... or you may face frustrating crashes all the time forcing you to revert back to 7.1.2

Lynas

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Switched back to iOS 7.1.2 from b2. While I completely understand what it means to be a beta, I couldn't handle it on my daily driver.

Looking forward to using iOS 8 when it's officially released.

Same here.

I bailed on B2 after 6 days.

The thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that everyones phone setup is totally different (running apps, preferences, network conditions etc)

In my scenario I basically spent more time watching the apple logo and blowing on the rear of the phone to cool it down.

Whatever was going on, the hardware didn't like it.

No free space means everything dies instantly and phone crawls along.

Roll on B6!

Zimmy68

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2008
It is a beta... You should not even be annoyed by these bugs...it is normal... Stop whining....

Crashing from using headphones controls on the music app in the 8th generation of an os is Alpha stuff.

I if I were given the task to develop the music app, that would probably be 1st hour stuff.
If that was crashing in the 3rd beta, I would expect to lose my job.

I'm convinced Apple devotes the least of their time to the music app which was never fixed (switching to landscape brings up random album).

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I've been using Beta 3 for about 24 hours now and to be honest, it runs great. I have had a couple of resprings, and when I first installed it, it would freeze up if I tried to go into the notifications menu. But a restart fixed that.

Other than a few quirky things that you would expect in a beta, random crashes, etc., it works surprisingly well. The only app issue I've had so far has been Weather Channel's app, which crashes on launch. I've mostly been using social media apps, and not any games, so I haven't done a wide range of testing.

One thing I will note though, I was very excited after the keynote about all the new features, but in using the beta, there really isn't much there that makes me go "man, I've got to keep using this." Once more apps take advantage of everything, and I have Yosemite on my Mac, it should bring many of the new features to light, but from a non-developer standpoint, aside from quick reply in messages and the new keyboard, there's not much of a reason to even run the beta right now.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Try using FaceTime. It doesn't work as well. Most of the screen is black and the video window doesn't take up all screen.

In Mail.app the keyboard stays in portrait mode, even if you hold the device in landscape mode.

The AppStore many times doesn't display search results.

Of course all these things are normal in beta software. You can use it daily (as I do also), but only if you are prepared to accept any issues that might occur.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
in my experience, Beta 3 is still not consistently stable enough as a daily driver. It's close. I'm using it as my daily driver and it doesn't bother me enough to go backwards but if I had to do it again, I would wait.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
I've actually gotten a lot of helpful responses, but thanks

Ha, still hold for the GM. Even if it is utopia on B3, B4 may have major glitches. You never know. Do not use it as your daily driver unless you are completely prepared for future glitches. It is like pandoras box. You really want to open it but you don't know what it will bring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.