Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2014
Hi guys, I need help about something! A friend of mine had a crucial SSD in his laptop, and he dropped it and he broke the Screen and SSD. Now he can connect the ssd using an enclosure to his computer and recover his data but he can't get windows to install on it! What could be the issue, I have searched a lot but to no vail!

Any help or even info would be appreciated!

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Hi guys, I need help about something! A friend of mine had a crucial SSD in his laptop, and he dropped it and he broke the Screen and SSD. Now he can connect the ssd using an enclosure to his computer and recover his data but he can't get windows to install on it! What could be the issue, I have searched a lot but to no vail!

Any help or even info would be appreciated!

Are you sure the SSD is broken? It would have to be quite a violent drop and most of the shock would be absorbed by the notebook around it. If you can still read it from an enclosure I would say it is working. Given this is macrumors I assume it was installed in a Macbook? Before being able to install Windows on it it has to be reformated (NTFS I think)

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I HiGHLY doubt the SSD is broken. Durability is one of the main advantages of SSDs over platter drives. You would have to want to break it to break it. I had issues installing windows before on brand new drives, so I don't think it's the ssd.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If he's using an external enclosure, its more likely he's running into install issues because of that then it breaking because of a fall. Bootcamp requires the internal drive being setup for windows not an external drive - that's probably the cause.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2014
He bought it from HP, I think it's the probook or sth like that, the one that HP copied apple! hehe

Anyways it came with a normal HDD and he bought a crucial SSD and swapped it out and he start using the laptop! 2 Weeks ago he dropped it and the screen and ssd broke! HP repaired the screen but it would not boot with the ssd, so he put the old HDD back and using an enclosure he got his files back from the SSD but he can't seem to install windows on it, when he puts it back into the sata drive of the laptop! What I don't get is why he can put it in an enclosure and connect to USB and get his files but he can't install windows! it gives him an error or sth!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
...Bootcamp requires the internal drive being setup for windows not an external drive - that's probably the cause.

This is likely the cause of the errors.
Install Windows on the internal hard drive.
It won't install on an external, because you can't boot to Windows on an external drive.
(is it even possible yet?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.