Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Garrison32
macrumors newbie

In Line Audio Recording

I have an iMac G4 (the half globe one) 10.2.8

I am simply tring to record my voice to something simple like Sound Studio. Here is my problem. I plug in a simple lapel microphone (Radioshack) into the mic plug (next to the headphone plug) and go to my System Preferences and click my Sound.

I go to Input and then click Line In. I get no recording with my lapel mic. I then go to Apple's Website and find this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58022

So if I'm reading this right, I need a PlainTalk mic? What is that? And are there any other ways to record with third party mics?

Thanks in advance
Garrison32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 01:47 PM   #2
zimv20
macrumors 601

if i'm reading that page right, it sounds like the so-called PlainTalk mic is uniquely able to access the mic pre built-in to the port. therefore, no other mic will work, as all mics need a mic pre.

i suppose this was apple's solution to the problem that the jack needed to work as both a line and mic in. just about everyone else in the world uses either two jacks, a combo jack, and/or a switch.

so if you want to use a normal mic, you must use an external microphone preamplifier (either a stand-alone or as part of a mixer).
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:01 PM   #3
Garrison32
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20
if i'm reading that page right, it sounds like the so-called PlainTalk mic is uniquely able to access the mic pre built-in to the port. therefore, no other mic will work, as all mics need a mic pre.

I think you are right. Is it possible to use a USB mic or something?
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:18 PM   #4
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison32
I think you are right. Is it possible to use a USB mic or something?
Yes, or a Griffin iMic with your line or mic input of choice.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 03:27 PM   #5
howesey
macrumors 6502a

I've never understood why Apple do not have a combo socket with line and mic levels.
howesey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:31 PM   #6
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesey
I've never understood why Apple do not have a combo socket with line and mic levels.
from the info above, it seems they do. it's just a non-standard way of doing it.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 04:34 PM   #7
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Is it possible to use a USB mic or something?
yes, once you investigate the digital ways of getting signals in, there are many other possibilities: usb port, firewire port, PCI card, s/pdif in, even ethernet i believe.

this thread has just started discussing some options.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Garrison32
macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the direction! I REALLY appreciate it.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:51 AM   #9
macbodock
macrumors member

Quote:
I have an iMac G4 (the half globe one) 10.2.8

I am simply tring to record my voice to something simple like Sound Studio. Here is my problem. I plug in a simple lapel microphone (Radioshack) into the mic plug (next to the headphone plug) and go to my System Preferences and click my Sound.

I go to Input and then click Line In. I get no recording with my lapel mic. I then go to Apple's Website and find this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58022

So if I'm reading this right, I need a PlainTalk mic? What is that? And are there any other ways to record with third party mics?

Thanks in advance
Garrison32,
Just saw this tread and thought I would add my .02.
Since September I have been using the SnowBall, a USB microphone from B.L.U.E. with some good results. If you having a hard time getting a microphone to work then you might want to look into some of the USB Microphones on the market today. A couple that come to mind are the Snowball from BLUE and the the CO1U from Samson. Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,
macbodock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 07:22 AM   #10
howesey
macrumors 6502a

Always Neumann's Sollution D mic.
howesey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Garrison32
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbodock
Garrison32,
Just saw this tread and thought I would add my .02.
Since September I have been using the SnowBall, a USB microphone from B.L.U.E. with some good results. If you having a hard time getting a microphone to work then you might want to look into some of the USB Microphones on the market today. A couple that come to mind are the Snowball from BLUE and the the CO1U from Samson. Hope this helps!

Kindest Regards,

I just ordered the Griffin iMic and the Griffin Lapel Mic (to use with an iPod). I do want to get a quality mic to record in a setting. I video tape paintball tournaments, and wanted to be able to do some sort of play-by-play in post production as an alternate audio track. I do like how cool the Snowball looks, and after doing some surfing last night, I found a guy's review by him using the Snowball and he recited his review on an .mp3. Very impressive sound quality so I'm sold.

So may I ask what comes with the Snowball? Does the stand come with it? Do I need to order USB cable too? I also want to get the Ringer Shockmount. I tried looking on the Blue site and their dealers... I can't seem to find any info.

UPDATE: Scratch that. I got through on the phones and Blue Mic does not deal. I have to go through the listed dealers and those said dealers determine stand-alone or bundled packs.

Last edited by Garrison32; Jan 24, 2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 06:39 PM   #12
macbodock
macrumors member

Quote:
So may I ask what comes with the Snowball? Does the stand come with it? Do I need to order USB cable too? I also want to get the Ringer Shockmount. I tried looking on the Blue site and their dealers... I can't seem to find any info.

UPDATE: Scratch that. I got through on the phones and Blue Mic does not deal. I have to go through the listed dealers and those said dealers determine stand-alone or bundled packs.
Garrison32,
The ringer is sold separately. I just checked Sweetwater for info on the snowball and seems that there is a SnowBall Pac. Check out Sweetwater for all the info on the Snowball. Hope that this helps!

Kindest Regards,
macbodock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:43 AM   #13
TomG
macrumors newbie

I just bought the Samson CO1U USB mic. It's not bad, but I guess it depends on the use.

I'm sending it back to BSW.

For podcasting or "non professional" use, it would be fine. The sound is pretty good, but a bit on the muffled side, just a touch flat.

Also, there is a lot of delay when listening to the audio with headsets while recording (latency?).

I did a comparison between this mic and a Sennheiser MD421, running through an Apogee Min-Me box into the USB of a PowerMac.

The Samson doesn't sound bad. It just doesn't have the life of the Sennheiser. Also, the Mini-Me is powered off AC. That limits portability. Each person will need to determine individual needs.

I use this setup to record voice over for television shows, often on the road. I can plug in the Mini-Me when I'm in a hotel room. It's more stuff to carry, but the extra quality is well worth it.

But . . . for most uses, I think the Samson is a really neat piece of recording gear.
TomG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 05:00 PM   #14
zimv20
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomG
Also, there is a lot of delay when listening to the audio with headsets while recording (latency?).
yes, that's probably the latency.

Quote:
I did a comparison between this mic and a Sennheiser MD421, running through an Apogee Min-Me box into the USB of a PowerMac.
i'd suspect that approaches "no comparison".

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio