Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
We are deploying and testing a new feature on the forums. Wiki threads.

A wiki thread is a normal discussion thread where the 1st post is an editable wiki. That means other users can edit the contents of the post. The purpose is to help the management of long running guides or collections of knowledge.

Here is an example

Who can create and edit?

Registered users with at least 25 posts can both start Wiki threads and edit existing Wiki threads. If someone abuses their privileges, they will be banned from future Wiki editing.

Moderators and the thread-starter can revoke Wiki editing privileges for a given thread at a later time.

How do I start a Wiki?

Start a new thread and simply check of "Is Wiki" checkbox in the options. Alternatively, if you've already started a thread, you can edit it and check off the "Is Wiki" box after the fact.

Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 11.19.16 AM.png

How do I edit?

Simply press on the Edit button, and you can add, remove, and edit text from the post. If you click on the "Last edited by..." link at the bottom of the post, you will see a history of revisions, and be able to compare and revert.

What if someone keeps defacing a Wiki?

Please report (
report.gif
) the post, and specify which user is causing the problems

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for your efforts.

The advantage of the old wiki setup was a dedicated space where a table of contents (TOC) of wiki articles existed at Mac Rumors. One location to access all wiki articles. My impression is that these articles will be displayed in their related forums which is not necessarily bad other than the utility of a table of contents for these type of articles would be handy.

If they are sticky, in the forum thread section, I could image a bunch of them accumulating at the head of the list, interfering with the display of regular forum posts, hence another reason to give them their own dedicated space and TOC.

The flip side if they descend down the list due to inactivity, will there be an easy way to locate them versus being lost in the list?

What is the functional difference between a wiki thread and a regular forum thread, just the ability to edit?

Will current images that have been uploaded into the old wiki space be able to be used in new wiki posts? Using the image tool in the wiki, is this a link to an external source or is the image imported into the wiki? Instructions on the handling of images would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)
-Dave

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Thanks for your efforts.

The advantage of the old will setup was a dedicated space where a table of contents (TOC) of wiki articles existed at Mac Rumors. One location to access all wiki articles. My impression is that these articles will be displayed in their related forums which is not necessarily bad other than the utility of a table of contents for these type of articles would be handy.

If they are sticky, in the forum thread section, I could image a bunch of them accumulating at the head of the list, interfering with the display of regular forum posts, hence another reason to give them their own dedicated space and TOC.

The flip side if they descend down the list due to inactivity, will there be an easy way to locate them versus being lost in the list?

What is the functional difference between a wiki thread and a regular forum thread, just the ability to edit?

Will current images that have been uploaded into the old wiki space be able to be used in new wiki posts? Using the image tool in the wiki, is this a link to an external source or is the image imported into the wiki? Instructions on the handling of images would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)
-Dave

This is a bit of a work in progress, and not an ideal Wiki Media replacement, but also helps serve other purposes, and may work well enough as a Wiki Media replacement, since we aren't willing to dedicate the resources to bring the guides up to date.

- A per-forum Wiki sticky which links to there Wikis may be the best makeshift option to provide that index of content. We are also going to look into a search view that lists all the wiki threads in the forum.

- The difference is 1) users can edit the 1st post 2) the "Wiki" designation on the Thread title

- Yes, those images will be usable directly. Due to the complexities involved, direct attachment isn't offered in the first post, but could be added as a reply to the forum thread and then embedded with tags

arn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is a bit of a work in progress, and not an ideal Wiki Media replacement, but also helps serve other purposes, and may work well enough as a Wiki Media replacement, since we aren't willing to dedicate the resources to bring the guides up to date.

- A per-forum Wiki sticky which links to there Wikis may be the best makeshift option to provide that index of content. We are also going to look into a search view that lists all the wiki threads in the forum.

- The difference is 1) users can edit the 1st post 2) the "Wiki" designation on the Thread title

- Yes, those images will be usable directly. Due to the complexities involved, direct attachment isn't offered in the first post, but could be added as a reply to the forum thread and then embedded with tags

arn[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand, will images of any kind be able to be inserted into the guide, the first post? The only place where images are valuable would be within the guide, otherwise the utility of such guides are drastically reduced IMO.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Not sure I understand, will images of any kind be able to be inserted into the guide, the first post? The only place where images are valuable would be within the guide, otherwise the utility of such guides are drastically reduced IMO.

sorry, by direct attachment, I meant using the vBulletin attachment function. But it appears that does work.

you can use tags

arn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Although I've used instructions on the guides page in the past to upload images, that page is not easy to access. Could you please provide a link or instructions on how to:

1) Upload images to Mac Rumors.
2) How to search the Mac Rumors image library for existing images.

Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Can existing threads be turned into wikis? Thinking about the SSD Buying Guide thread as it would be a prime candidate for this.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Can existing threads be turned into wikis? Thinking about the SSD Buying Guide thread as it would be a prime candidate for this.

I'd have to say yes. Though I think it would require mods to change it for other users. If you edit Arn's first post here and go to advanced then the option to turn it into a Wiki is there.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'd have to say yes. Though I think it would require mods to change it for other users. If you edit Arn's first post here and go to advanced then the option to turn it into a Wiki is there.

A Moderator or the Thread Starter can toggle a thread's Wiki status.

arn

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
I've managed to turn a couple of my threads to wiki 2 weeks ago, but now I cannot change any future threads into one.

Anyone can help me?
I've tried 20 times on over 3 threads, no luck.

The box is checked, I click submit, and the thread is not a wiki...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've managed to turn a couple of my threads to wiki 2 weeks ago, but now I cannot change any future threads into one.

Anyone can help me?
I've tried 20 times on over 3 threads, no luck.

The box is checked, I click submit, and the thread is not a wiki...

I just turned this thread of yours into a Wiki and it seems to have stuck. Are you sure you're hitting the right button and saving it?

Also, your statement about bumping the thread when updates are made is against the forum rules. Bumping is not allowed.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Also, your statement about bumping the thread when updates are made is against the forum rules. Bumping is not allowed.

Good point, but as it stands now, if I edit post #1 in a wiki thread it does not make that thread show up with a new post in my subscribed list (I just tested one), so I have no way to know there is new info there.

Can the forum software be tweaked such that an edit to post #1 in a wiki thread makes the thread show up as if it has a new post. Otherwise I suppose you could direct users to put their new info in a new post at the end of the thread and in post #1 to pop the thread back up as new in subscribed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Good point, but as it stands now, if I edit post #1 in a wiki thread it does not make that thread show up with a new post in my subscribed list (I just tested one), so I have no way to know there is new info there.

Can the forum software be tweaked such that an edit to post #1 in a wiki thread makes the thread show up as if it has a new post. Otherwise I suppose you could direct users to put their new info in a new post at the end of the thread and in post #1 to pop the thread back up as new in subscribed.

Tweaking the forum software is something only Arn can answer. But it's fine to post that an update was made, so long as it's a significantly informative post and not 'just enough' to make it a bump - if that makes any sense.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Tweaking the forum software is something only Arn can answer. But it's fine to post that an update was made, so long as it's a significantly informative post and not 'just enough' to make it a bump - if that makes any sense.

Yeah... what I was thinking is just repeat the info. So add a post saying, "I noticed now with DP5 the Spotlight icon is darker (see screenshot)." Then put the same thing in post #1. Otherwise post #1 will just get longer and longer and nobody will ever read it because it won't show up in subscribed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Yeah... what I was thinking is just repeat the info. So add a post saying, "I noticed now with DP5 the Spotlight icon is darker (see screenshot)." Then put the same thing in post #1. Otherwise post #1 will just get longer and longer and nobody will ever read it because it won't show up in subscribed.

Yep, just like that would be fine. I think its the best that we can do at this point.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010

JoeTomasone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2014
Can't create Wiki in iPhone forum

I can create one in iOS8, but when I start a post in iPhone, the Wiki option is missing.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Hi. Sorry. I'm also having trouble making my post a Wiki. I've made them before in the old forums but there wasn't an "is wiki" option for me now. :( Is there a different way to do it now? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.