Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
First post on this forum! Not sure if this is the right category so apologies in advance for any cross posting.

I'm looking to buy either a 13 Air or a 13 rMBP. Uses = mostly surfing and email although some audio work. Have a current 27 iMac and G5 (to become Mini when upgraded) for the heavy work. This purchase mainly for when I am traveling away from home and casual surfing in front of TV. Don't game.

The Air boasts a slower CPU. So what is it's advantage.

PS probably will not wait for new rMBP as the true upgrade appears to be a distance off........and I'm traveling soon.

thx for any help. fallen

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The MBA has a much better battery, the rMBP has a better screen, faster CPU and GPU.

Its really all that, do you want a longer lasting battery or a faster computer with a better screen.

Personally, with the rMBP, I don't see any need for the 13" MBA.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
First post on this forum! Not sure if this is the right category so apologies in advance for any cross posting.

I'm looking to buy either a 13 Air or a 13 rMBP. Uses = mostly surfing and email although some audio work. Have a current 27 iMac and G5 (to become Mini when upgraded) for the heavy work. This purchase mainly for when I am traveling away from home and casual surfing in front of TV. Don't game.

The Air boasts a slower CPU. So what is it's advantage.

PS probably will not wait for new rMBP as the true upgrade appears to be a distance off........and I'm traveling soon.

thx for any help. fallen

I think the 13" rMBP is the best computer in Apple's current lineup, but there are still some tradeoffs. The MBA is 1/2 pound lighter and has about 3 hours more of battery life. The biggest difference between the two is the cost. You can find the MBA for as little as $700 new. If you have the money and don't need the extra battery life, the 13" rMBP is better in arguably every other aspect.

The rMBP has about a 15% faster processor, 30% faster graphics, a nicer screen, nicer speakers, more ports, and an overall better design.

I ended up purchasing a MBA in June for $700 because I plan on selling it in a year or two anyways. Right now is an awkward time in the history of Mac. The delays in Broadwell have created a gap so we do not know where the computer lineup is going to sit through next year. Apple is supposedly going to be refreshing the MBA and maybe the iMac, which typically means higher price tags and glitchier hardware, so it is probably best to buy now or wait for 2016. That is just my opinion, as I do not know what Apple's lineup will be. The rMBP is gorgeous, so if you have the money and need a new computer, there isn't a consumer laptop I would recommend more highly.

Matt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.