Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Today was announced that the Public Beta of Yosemite will be released tomorrow .. I really want to install this on my main computer (I only have 1 :p) so I would like to know if there are any serious problems that should stop me from doing so .. Thank you in advance !

antoniogra7

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I haven't used it very extensively, but it looks good enough. Anyway, you should stay away from the beta if you don't have backups and can't afford the time to fix the computer if it goes wrong. You can also install it in a different partition so you don't mess up your current system (still, make a backup before).

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I have the latest developer beta on both my macbook pro retina and 2011 iMac and I have no problems. I'm running chrome, photoshop, lightroom, spotify, messages and mail simultaneously and have no issues.

BTW, I started on DP3

So far, the only glitch I've seen is a black bar on the scroll bar when opening finder. It goes away once you actually start scrolling and it doesn't happen every time. It's just ugly and weird if anything.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
I have been using DP4 on my late 2012 rMBP. It still have graphics glitches. Freezes when using chrome every so often and some times the computer will just crash. I was actually shocked when I heard this version would be the public beta. I thought DP5 would be.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Main computer? I would never put a beta OS on my MAIN computer, but I've been running Developer Previews on my MacBook Pro '09 since DP 1. I have to say, DP4 feels stable COMPARED to DP1. All throughout DP1 and DP2 stages, I almost didn't want to use my laptop because of how frequently it would crash or reboot or freeze. If you don't have problems with occasional crashes and minor glitches, give it a shot, but I would still recommend installing on a separate partition.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Two words: It’s beta.

Ok, two more: caveat emptor.

If you are willing to put up with current (or future) glitches, go for it. If you’re squeamish about that kind of stuff, stay away for now.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not sure it is a wise move on Apple's part to use DP4 as the public beta. It isn't terrible, but as many have said, there are glitches. And for people that don't know what they are doing, the various glitches can be a pain in the butt. The other side of it is the public relations aspect. Many people will see this as them getting the polished version before everyone else, even though it is beta.

A lot of people are going to install it as their main OS. And when they find that a lot of their programs don't work, are spotty, or lose some of their work, they aren't going to be happy.

I hope Apple is ready for some backlash.

Last edited:

kultschar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Just an example

DP4 has taken away my wifi! (worked fine in DP1-DP3)

You have been warned - its still buggy as expected at this early stage

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd recommend putting it on an external drive or partition your main drive so you'll have a Mavericks partition and a Yosemite partition.

Short of that, I'd highly recommend making a cloned image of your Mavericks drive before installing the beta.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Apparently there are some problems and that was to be expected since this is still a Beta .. I can live with a few glitches but losing wi-fi like another person mentioned above is too much of a risk for me ..

I don't want the hassle of creating partitions or installing Yosemite to a separate drive so I guess I'll stick with Mavericks for the time being .. Maybe I'll try the second version of the Public beta if things are "safer" .. I can wait :)

Thanks for all of your replies, they were really helpful ! :)

mt247

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
For me Safari is not working at all. Keeps crashing when i want to enter an url. Also file copy is not working. Getting a white box when moving files with the mouse and that's is. No text only a white box.

Last edited:

fixxolas

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
Safari crashes, apps are not starting, finder relaunches when working with network shares, copying over network is buggy, UI elements freezes.

(nMP)

So, no. I would not use it yet.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I have the latest developer beta on both my macbook pro retina and 2011 iMac and I have no problems. I'm running chrome, photoshop, lightroom, spotify, messages and mail simultaneously and have no issues.

BTW, I started on DP3

So far, the only glitch I've seen is a black bar on the scroll bar when opening finder. It goes away once you actually start scrolling and it doesn't happen every time. It's just ugly and weird if anything.

Oh cool, I was looking for someone who had tried out Lightroom. Glad to hear it's working. I'm gonna install the Public Beta as my main OS tomorrow. I'll be sure to take a Time Machine back up and avoid all this YOU WILL DIE IF YOU INSTALL A BETA AS YOUR MAIN OS talk from others on this forum. Which is just not ********* necessary. :rolleyes:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Oh cool, I was looking for someone who had tried out Lightroom. Glad to hear it's working. I'm gonna install the Public Beta as my main OS tomorrow. I'll be sure to take a Time Machine back up and avoid all this YOU WILL DIE IF YOU INSTALL A BETA AS YOUR MAIN OS talk from others on this forum. Which is just not ********* necessary. :rolleyes:

Every thread needs a drama queen. No one will die.

eXoBrute

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
I did a fresh install of DP1 on my brand new ssd which is now being used as my main drive. I updated one by one to DP4 and then installed my apps and transferred my files. So far i can honestly say i have had less problems than when i had mavericks as my main. Safari rarely gives me any problems, iTunes & mail works great now also. I have been using Spotify normally and have not noticed any issues with it. Microsoft Office seems to work flawlessly as well.

I would say go ahead and install it as your main as long as your not relying on it for work or using heavy resource apps because it is still a beta and could crash at anytime even though i have not expierenced that.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego

I'm running LR5 if that helps. It's actually quite faster now.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
works fine besides apps freezing up when u want to shut ur computer down. works after force quitting them tho

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I put DP2 on my 2012 air and within an hour I'd gone back to Mav. When DP3 came out I tried again and stuck with it as I had no problems. I've upgraded the Air to DP4 and have now installed DP4 on my main iMac. Zero issues.

Porsupah

macrumors regular
As ever, at this stage, it seems to depend a great deal on the specific model. On my late 2013 rMBP, I'm fine with b4 - even Mail appears to be reliably pulling email from every account, which has been a problem since around 10.9.2.

Liam555

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
Today was announced that the Public Beta of Yosemite will be released tomorrow .. I really want to install this on my main computer (I only have 1 :p) so I would like to know if there are any serious problems that should stop me from doing so .. Thank you in advance !

How do we know the public beta will be released tomorrow?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 5.36.18 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 2014-07-23 at 5.36.18 PM.PNG
    190.5 KB · Views: 134

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
As ever, at this stage, it seems to depend a great deal on the specific model.

I was thinking about this .. Anyone who is using DP4 on a rMBP (2012) ?? I have the 2.3ghz i7/16GB RAM model ..

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
DP4 is the first one that I have found to be generally 'stable' so far.. all previous DP's I was having massive problems with hd4000 graphics, especially in safari. But everything seems ok again now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.