Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nazedayo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
I plan to get an iPhone 6 this fall no question. Problem, I have 2 iPhones:
an iPhone 4S with a cracked back ($100 to fix according to iCracked), and
an iPhone 5 with a cracked front glass + broken down volume button ($300 to fix, according to iCracked).

What's the best way to go about this? Should I trade both in at the Apple store when I reserve the iPhone 6 (do they even accept 2 phones for trade-in)? Or should I repair and try to sell both on craigslist or some other site? Or some other option? Basically I want to get rid of both phones somehow when I get the 6.

Thanks!

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
If you are handy and have some confidence, look up ifixit for parts and DIY fixes. All the things you listed, apart from the down volume button, is relatively easy to replace. But they are definitely cheaper than the prices you listed.

I would suggest you get them fixed somehow and sell on craigslist or swappa. You will get more money this way. I dont think apple trade-ins give very much, and neither do I think they accept broken stuff.

You could always sell as is as well and try to get as much for them as possible.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
You can try gazelle, they'll take totally cracked phones. I remember selling them my iPhone 3G that totally didn't work. Front glass chipped away (maybe 1/8 of it), and phone internals were no longer working (from doing a DIY repair of the front screen) and got $50 for it. This was over 3 years after it's initial release.

I remember seeing that the Apple store would replace back glass panel iPhone 4/4S for $29. So I may just do that then sell it or give it to gazelle. The iPhone 5S maybe more of a pain. You could get something for it I'm sure, but probably only for parts (again gazelle is your safest bet they sell a broken/cracked screen/body one for $125). You could maybe fix it and sell it, but not sure how much you would make accounting for the cost of fixing, even by yourself, if you can get parts for cheap, then it may work better, the worst that could happen is that you mess it up and still can give it to gazelle for $125.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I plan to get an iPhone 6 this fall no question. Problem, I have 2 iPhones:
an iPhone 4S with a cracked back ($100 to fix according to iCracked), and
an iPhone 5 with a cracked front glass + broken down volume button ($300 to fix, according to iCracked).

What's the best way to go about this? Should I trade both in at the Apple store when I reserve the iPhone 6 (do they even accept 2 phones for trade-in)? Or should I repair and try to sell both on craigslist or some other site? Or some other option? Basically I want to get rid of both phones somehow when I get the 6.

Thanks!
A cracked back plate only? That's a cheap repair, and takes about five minutes.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I'd replace both of the broken parts. worth it to resell. the 4s backplate is a very cheap repair, and can be done at an apple store for $29. the screen on the 5 would be a bit more expensive, but would be worth doing. just make sure you know what you're doing before you tear into the phone, and get a good quality display, not a cheap junk one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.