Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ianrogers.jpg
Apple's $3 billion acquisition of Beats was finalized today, and as the two companies merge into one, the positions some former Beats employees will take on at Apple are becoming clearer.

According to a new report from The Wall Street Journal, Ian Rogers, who serves as the CEO of Beats Music, will take Apple's own iTunes Radio streaming music service under his wing, heading up both streaming music services. Rogers will likely report to Eddy Cue, the SVP of Internet Software and Services at Apple, who oversees all of Apple's content stores.
Rogers, a former Yahoo executive, will run both teams to create cohesion in Apple's streaming-music options, according to the people familiar with the matter. Pandora and Spotify, the two-biggest streaming music services, each offer both a free ad-supported service and a subscription-based service.
As previously reported, Beats co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young (aka Dr. Dre) are also expected to take on senior roles at the company, and while it remains unclear exactly what the duo will do at Apple, Iovine may also become involved with iTunes, securing deals and marketing opportunities.

Earlier today, Apple posted a message on its website welcoming the Beats team to the family, as Beats shut down its own online store. While many former Beats employees are transitioning to Cupertino or continuing to work in a Los Angeles office, approximately 200 employees in human resources, finance, and other areas where there was overlap with Apple have only been given temporary positions as the company tries to find new roles for them.

Article Link: Beats Music CEO Ian Rogers to Also Head Up iTunes Radio

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
That's good and all. Just dissolve the Beats brand... Destroy all their products & abuse their resources.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Spotify ipad app is garbage and outdated, the iPhone app took a LONG time to get updated

Beats being full integrated into iOS can only mean good things not just for Beats Music but also for Spotify to step its game up because it basically has no competition when it comes to the numbers so they enjoy being lazy

trickness

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
Talk about failing upwards. Topspin was one of the most overhyped, overpriced pieces of crap in the digital music space, and Beats Music has barely moved the needle either. But Ian's always been good at doing presentations and spinning ******** in a good natured way

Pair

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hopefully this means iTunes Radio is closer being offered in the UK.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Spotify ipad app is garbage and outdated, the iPhone app took a LONG time to get updated

Beats being full integrated into iOS can only mean good things not just for Beats Music but also for Spotify to step its game up because it basically has no competition when it comes to the numbers so they enjoy being lazy

Spotify for iOS has been regularly and frequently updated on the iPhone and is one of the best music apps in terms of beauty, simplicity, and functionality. I agree that the iPad app could use some improvements but Spotify is the company to beat right now on terms of streaming. Their iPhone iOS app is one of the most highly rated apps on the Apps store - and for good reason.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
We need something to spice up iTunes.

Spicing up iTunes is easy. There's a lot they can do there, starting with breaking up the monolithic desktop app into smaller ones to mirror iOS. They just need to replace Eddy Cue with someone who is a true music lover and product guy who can innovate; my understanding is that Eddy Cue is more of a maintenance guy. Maybe Iovine will be the answer.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Spotify for iOS has been regularly and frequently updated on the iPhone and is one of the best music apps in terms of beauty, simplicity, and functionality. I agree that the iPad app could use some improvements but Spotify is the company to beat right now on terms of streaming. Their iPhone iOS app is one of the most highly rated apps on the Apps store - and for good reason.

While I mostly agree, I do have some issues with it freezing... Though that happens with a lot of apps on my 5S, even though it didn't on my 5.

pietrociao

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Well... guess I'd better go download pandora... BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE GUYS WITH SUNBURNED EARS!

I agree! That means he's always on vacation and doesn't even wear Beats headphones (which are great for ear sunburn prevention)

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
He's young, he knows what's popular, he was in the leadership of a very successful/profitable music brand, and it can only mean good things to have him around.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
So it begins.

Can't wait until we get full OS integration. Perhaps a Beats tab in the Music app. I don't want to have to manage 2 apps for my various music needs (downloads, streaming, radio) from the same company.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
iTunes could be an optional installation on Macs just like Garage Band or Xcode. I really don't like receiving iTunes updates once a week while I open iTunes once a year by mistake.

----------

He looks like my neighbour's 16 year old son. ;)
Man, that's a young looking CEO.

He probably was born when Winamp 2.0 was about to be launched.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Good. Now Apple needs to get someone to take over Eddy's Apple TV duties so we can finally get an updated ATV. Let Eddy run the back end stuff like iCloud. That seems to be more of his competency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.