Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:01 PM   #1
BCT
macrumors newbie

Reset OS X to factory condition

Hello all,

I've tried a few searches and haven't been able to find a answer. I have a Dual Core G5 2.0GHz I have just sold. I am going to format and re-install OS X. How can I install it so when the buyer turns it on it will play the welcome movie and ask all the questions - registration etc. The same way it was when I first turned it on.

Is there a way to do this with OS X? I've done this with sysprep on windows xp, so I guess there is a way to do it on OS X.

Thank you
BCT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:04 PM   #2
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Put the system restore DVD in the drive. Open System Preferences, and go to startup disc. Select the restore DVD, and click the restart button in the prefs pane. When it boots back up, you will get the option to install OS X. One of the first few windows should have an options button, probably in the lower left. If you click this, you will get several options to erase the HD before re-writing the OS onto it.

Be forewarned that the multipass overwrite method takes a LOOOOONG time. Probably by about a factor of five vs. what you're guessing it would.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Artful Dodger
macrumors 68020

Quote:
mkrishnan
Put the system restore DVD in the drive. Open System Preferences, and go to startup disc. Select the restore DVD, and click the restart button in the prefs pane. When it boots back up, you will get the option to install OS X. One of the first few windows should have an options button, probably in the lower left. If you click this, you will get several options to erase the HD before re-writing the OS onto it.

Be forewarned that the multipass overwrite method takes a LOOOOONG time. Probably by about a factor of five vs. what you're guessing it would.
Long time is right Not sure I'd do it again but if you have the time it's a good idea, just go have dinner and see a show, then check back
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
stridey
macrumors 65816

And here's instructions for making the "welcome" screen appear upon next reboot.
stridey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 09:43 PM   #5
BCT
macrumors newbie

Thank you all very much for the fast answers!

Helps a lot. ^-^
BCT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X