Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hepta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
I will need a way to connect my Ethernet cable to my rMBP. I know Apple makes a Thunderbolt adapter, but it has pretty poor reviews on the Apple Store website (42 five star ratings but also 30 one star ratings). Tek Republic has a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter on Amazon for only $20 and it has mostly five star ratings. Of course, the downside is that it would use one of my two USB ports. Can someone tell me if this is slower than Thunderbolt, or would it not make a difference? Does this seem like a better option, or would I be best taking a gamble with Apple's adapter? Thanks!

Last edited:

Gary500

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I will need a way to connect my Ethernet cable to my rMBP. I know Apple makes a Thunderbolt adapter, but it has pretty poor reviews on the Apple Store website (42 five star ratings but also 30 one star ratings). Tek Republic has a USB 3.0 to Ethernet adapter on Amazon for only $20 and it has mostly five star ratings. Of course, the downside is that it would use one of my two USB ports. Can someone tell me if this is slower than Thunderbolt, or would it not make a difference? Does this seem like a better option, or would I be best taking a gamble with Apple's adapter? Thanks!

Just get the thunderbolt, it works fine for me, and its the only one that supports gigabit ethernet.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Just get the thunderbolt, it works fine for me, and its the only one that supports gigabit ethernet.

USB 3.0 supports gigabit.

OP, you could get something like this which will give you additional USB ports should you need them. I would also go with USB 3.0 if you plan to install Windows through Boot Camp, as a driver problem with the Thunderbolt adapter prevents the system from going to sleep.

If you only plan to use OS X, stick with Thunderbolt.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
There's nothing wrong with the thunderbolt adapter.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I'm using the Kanex Thunderbolt adapter which includes both a USB 3.0 port and gigabit ethernet port

Last edited:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

MD463

hepta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014

OP, you could get something like this which will give you additional USB ports should you need them. I would also go with USB 3.0 if you plan to install Windows through Boot Camp, as a driver problem with the Thunderbolt adapter prevents the system from going to sleep.

I will be using Boot Camp, so I will look into something like that.

Thank you everyone!

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia

I use that adapter at work with the Henge vertical dock for my rMBP. Works like a charm. You will need to install the drivers for the ethernet port to work

hepta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2014
Ended up buying an Anker 3-port USB 3.0 hub that has an Ethernet connection. It was $24 and is very small, I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. The reviews are good though. I often use more than two USB ports so the hub will come in handy. Supposedly it has no issues with Windows and supports hot swapping so I think it will work well!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FYI the Thunderbolt ethernet adaptor does work with Windows running boot camp. I have tried it out.

It does work, but it prevents the laptop from going into sleep mode. I ran into this problem and after much googling I discovered that it was the TB/Ethernet adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.