Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Hey guys,

Sorry if someone already posted a similar topic, but i just wanted to know if anybody had any idea if there's gonna be an update to the public beta?

Thanks for your information!

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I would expect so, once enough of the issues raised have been addressed to make it worthwhile verifying with users that the changes are effective. There are suggestions that the next public beta may be next week, but that is probably no more than a guess.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Potentially but its probably on a monthly cycle, at least that's what everyone is expecting.

TheBass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for your answers - the monthly cycle would mean 24th of August?

zhaolewen

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Sorry if someone already posted a similar topic, but i just wanted to know if anybody had any idea if there's gonna be an update to the public beta?

Would be great if it's possible to upgrade from Public beta 1 to developer preview 5, since PB 1 is almost the same as DP 4, but i failed.

Don't know if anyone knows how to do the upgrade ?
Or if the failure to upgrade is only a rare bug that I've encountered?

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
There are a lot of complicated steps involved in updating from PB1 to DP5.

1. Install PB1
2. Download the DP5 update package (from where ever it happens to come from)
3. Run the Installer.

Process complete.... No special hacking, tweaking, or twerking is required.

mizxco

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
There are a lot of complicated steps involved in updating from PB1 to DP5.

1. Install PB1
2. Download the DP5 update package (from where ever it happens to come from)
3. Run the Installer.

Process complete.... No special hacking, tweaking, or twerking is required.

But what if I really wanted/needed to twerk..

zhaolewen

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
But what if I really wanted/needed to twerk..

Well, after looking through some posts concerning the update, it's not problem for most people...

but I've encountered (unfortunately) the bug where the update fails in the middle of "Writing files...":(

I have only seen one other person who has got a similar problem as mine in this forum

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Well, after looking through some posts concerning the update, it's not problem for most people...

but I've encountered (unfortunately) the bug where the update fails in the middle of "Writing files...":(

I have only seen one other person who has got a similar problem as mine in this forum

Fire up Console.app and see what happens during the install process and what error(s) occur when the update fails. Could be your download is corrupt and you might have to redownload the file.

zhaolewen

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Fire up Console.app and see what happens during the install process and what error(s) occur when the update fails. Could be your download is corrupt and you might have to redownload the file.

Thanks!

The error message is too trivial...

"The installation encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contract the software manufacturer for assistance."

But my mac constantly pops up "kernel: th 0xffffff804308b7e0 data_mover_thread: failed to move data, err=30" maybe this is the cause, but it seems be a new bug in Yosemite. Besides, the system is running in a loop, installing and uninstalling the Calendar and Reminders plugin in the Notification Center.

Now the Console app is FLOODED by the three messages...

Download is corrupt...hmmmmm, let's see about that.

zhaolewen

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Could be your download is corrupt and you might have to redownload the file.

Haha, the upgrade succeeded!!!

I just can't believe it. Did a re-download, the upgrade proceeded more, but it still failed. Then I ran the upgrade again, and it succeeded!

Thanks you very much!

Now I'm going to hope that DP5 fixed some of the bugs in PB1...

Tom2893

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm downloading the public beta now, will it be safe? I didn't do Time Machine and I don't want all my things to be deleted. Thanks

revenent

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
I'm downloading the public beta now, will it be safe? I didn't do Time Machine and I don't want all my things to be deleted. Thanks

In all situations, you should have at least 1 (Latest) backup on hand in the even that anything goes down south.

During the installation of the beta, all of your files are intact. At least mine was.

Nevertheless, there is still no harm in doing a backup. It can be you manually copy everything in your home folder to an external drive or using TM backups to do it.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009

If you haven't done any sort of backup, I would avoid using the Public Beta, because you clearly aren't skilled enough to be on the bleeding edge. :p

I'm serious, backups are essential practice.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
If you haven't done any sort of backup, I would avoid using the Public Beta, because you clearly aren't skilled enough to be on the bleeding edge. :p

I'm serious, backups are essential practice.

Not necessarily. I have every bit of information on my Mac backed up to either DropBox or iCloud. If I lost my Mac tomorrow, I could reconstruct it easily within a couple of hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.