Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Was creating and deleting Family Share a few times and now I'm locked out

Cannot Start Family Sharing.
An account can start or join a Family group twice a year. This account will be able to use Family Share again in 337 days.

WTF 337 days!?! :eek::mad::eek:

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Wow, that's certainly something that it seems would be nice to know about ahead of time;).

As far as 337 days, you probably first created or joined a family share group 28 days ago, so 365 days after that you'll be able to join another one. That's 337 days from now.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK

An account can start or join a Family group twice a year. This account will be able to use Family Share again in 337 days.

If you think thats bad look what happened to me

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408051225.864252.jpg

rjtroester

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
iOS 8 Public Release didn't fix it

I had the same thing as I'm using the public beta of Yosemite. I was hoping the limit would be reset with the public release of iOS 8 but alas, it has not and I'm still getting the message "Cannot Start Family Sharing". Perhaps with the public release of Yosemite it will get resolved.

EDIT: I did support chat with a rep and she told me that no, they cannot reset the timer.

Last edited:

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Bad news everyone. I just got off the phone with Apple Support's senior advisor. Apple can not (not sure if its really can not or will not) reset the Family Sharing clock. Told me I have to wait out the period, which for me is about 300 days.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Bad news everyone. I just got off the phone with Apple Support's senior advisor. Apple can not (not sure if its really can not or will not) reset the Family Sharing clock. Told me I have to wait out the period, which for me is about 300 days.

That's ridiculous... It's a brand new feature that hardly anybody knows how to use yet. It stands to reason people will experiment with the new features.

rjtroester

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
I agree, this is absolutely ridiculous. I get that I'm taking certain chances/risks by using the Yosemite Beta but nowhere did it say anything about this stupid limitation. Furthermore, the service itself was (I assume) in beta and it was because of it's bugginess that I inadvertently used my Apple ID twice.

Furthermore - and this is a sincere question - what exactly is the point of this limitation? You can only share with one group at a time, correct? So it's not like someone can abuse it by jumping on a bunch of groups at the same time. AND once you leave a group, you lose access to all of those shared apps/music/movies that you didn't buy so again, it's not like you can just hop from group to group and accumulate a bunch of "free" stuff. What am I missing here? Why such a long waiting period?

nickdylan

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2012
Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I was looking forward to using this feature - I'll have to make sure I do so carefully. Have you tried going to an Apple Store? This seems like the sort of thing that somebody could fix for you.

rjtroester

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
Have you tried going to an Apple Store?.

I can only speak for myself. No, I haven't, but it couldn't hurt. Unfortunately for me I live over 3 hours from the closest Apple Store.

Since it's a feature that only works with iOS 8 AND Yosemite, I'm really hoping that once Yosemite is fully released, it'll reset that counter (or they'll be able to do it on Apple's end).

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yeah, I had the same issue adding my son to it. Now he is block for 364 days.
I contacted Apple and tomorrow morning they will call back. I hope they can overturn this or this is just a bad joke.
I understand they might want to do for security reasons but if the account holder call them and confirm the issue after all the security verifications, they must be able to lift this restriction.
If not this will be a huge backlash for Apple because I already see dozens of people with the same issue and that number will just grow exponentially.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The more I read about it, the more I see absolutely zero use for this 'feature.'

The old method of sharing an iTunes account with separate ID's still seems like the best method....

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014

Wow... what a bunch of morons! :mad:

Sorry to hear OP. I would keep calling over time to try and get another 'senior advisor' or send an email to apple corporate.

rjtroester

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
Seems to be working now

Well, I tried it again today and everything is working smoothly. I was able to set up the group, add my wife, and create accounts for 3 of my kids. I did get a new phone number today but I don't see why that would trigger the reset when it's still the same iCloud account. My guess is that it just took a while for it to roll over. If the latter is the case, I'm not sure why Apple Support didn't share that or maybe they just didn't know. I'd recommend others having the problem to give it a try again and see if it works.

As to mantan's comment about usefulness - I thought the same thing in terms of buying apps. Why not just use individual Apple ID's for each person and a separate purchasing ID? Well, with this sharing, you can indeed do that and more. When you set it up, it asks which iTunes account you use for purchases. In my case, that's a different Apple ID from my personal Apple ID. In other words, when you set yourself up as the owner/administrator of the family group, it attaches your Apple ID and, if you want/need to, a separate Apple ID just for purchases.

The advantage then becomes as you have kids who have to buy their own apps and music - they can share that music as long as their a member of your family group but when they go off and start their own family group, they can take all of their purchases with them. Where it perhaps falls down is that if there are apps/music/movies that you'd like to keep when the kids leave, you'd have to re-purchase them if they were purchased with your kids' Apple ID. All paid for by the same credit card but connected technically to the individual account from which the purchase was initiated. At least that's how I understand it.

In addition, one HUGE benefit I see is the shared "Find my iPhone." This way, if I lose my iPhone or my wife loses hers or any one of the kids lose their devices, we can use any other device to locate it.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

Tomorrow I'll get a call. I hope to have better news and I'll share. If not, this is just pretty lame.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

That's expected, it likely appears you were trying to scam the system.

They have similar blocks for auth and deauth devices to your iTunes library since maybe the beginning..

I set my family up.. and was done. I can't imagine an reason to toggle on and off many times. Yea, major scam alert right there.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
As to mantan's comment about usefulness - I thought the same thing in terms of buying apps. Why not just use individual Apple ID's for each person and a separate purchasing ID? Well, with this sharing, you can indeed do that and more. When you set it up, it asks which iTunes account you use for purchases. In my case, that's a different Apple ID from my personal Apple ID. In other words, when you set yourself up as the owner/administrator of the family group, it attaches your Apple ID and, if you want/need to, a separate Apple ID just for purchases.

The advantage then becomes as you have kids who have to buy their own apps and music - they can share that music as long as their a member of your family group but when they go off and start their own family group, they can take all of their purchases with them. Where it perhaps falls down is that if there are apps/music/movies that you'd like to keep when the kids leave, you'd have to re-purchase them if they were purchased with your kids' Apple ID. All paid for by the same credit card but connected technically to the individual account from which the purchase was initiated. At least that's how I understand it.

In addition, one HUGE benefit I see is the shared "Find my iPhone." This way, if I lose my iPhone or my wife loses hers or any one of the kids lose their devices, we can use any other device to locate it.[/QUOTE]

good info. under current system one has to log in to iCloud under the kids account to Find the iPhone so this is a big plus if you can do it from the parent iPhone.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Do not flip Family Share on and off multiple of times

Apple reset my days count today. I didn't even contact apple at all. I was wondering this would happen after they released iOS 8 to public though.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411142575.985976.jpg

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
That's expected, it likely appears you were trying to scam the system.

They have similar blocks for auth and deauth devices to your iTunes library since maybe the beginning..

I set my family up.. and was done. I can't imagine an reason to toggle on and off many times. Yea, major scam alert right there.

In case if you don't know OP was trying this on a beta version just like me. Same thing happened to me but somehow today it was back to 0 and I can setup family sharing now.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
In case if you don't know OP was trying this on a beta version just like me. Same thing happened to me but somehow today it was back to 0 and I can setup family sharing now.

I scheduled another call and I hope to get a more knowledgeble person.
The one I talked asked me to set up a new family share group but had no idea how to do it. Crazy.

Tike1994

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
St. Charles, IL
My account got locked when I logged out of Family Share on my phone and tried to set it up on her phone so she would be the Organizer. When I tried to start the setup process on her phone it said we needed to wait 364 days.

I called Apple and the representitive checked with a supervisor. They said they were aware of the issue and the engineers were working to fix it in a software update.

It seemed strange to me that this would need an iOS software update to fix. Seems like it should be fixed on their icloud account servers.

Either way, I'm hoping they'll straighten it out soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.