Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmv89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
I have purchased MBP two weeks ago.
I have also decided to buy T631 mouse and K811 keyboard because I use external monitors.
When the two devices are off, WiFi speed is 85 MB/s; when they are on, WiFi drops to 5 MB/s.
I tried changing router channels, as well as to 5GHz band instead of 2 GHz; did not help.
I was on the phone with an Apple technician for more than an hour, and he was not able to help me. He told me that it is Logitech who can only help me.
He also said that if I buy Apple Magic mouse and Apple wireless keyboard, they will not affect my WiFi speed; do not know if it is him trying to get me to buy Apple stuff or Apple's Bluetooth is different from Logitech's.

I see that Magic Mouse gets really bad reviews for its ergonomics factor. Apple keyboard is fine, but k811 is much better in every way.

:(I just wish Logitech would fix this issue.:(

Is this the only option I have: magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard?

I do not really want to go back to a wired mouse and keyboard?

What do you recommend guys?

Will magic mouse+wireless apple keyboard+ magic trackpad all work at the same time?

DO YOU REALLY THINK APPLE PRODUCTS WILL NOT INTERFERE UNLIKE LOGITECH PRODUCTS I HAVE? IS IT DIFFERENT BLUETOOTH?

THANK YOU!:)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Do BOTH Logitech devices cause the slow down - or just one?
Use a USB replacement for one, long enough to check that…
(Maybe you like those Logitech items enough to keep one, eh?)
Try to replace the keyboard first with USB, then the mouse. If you don't have one, maybe you can borrow a USB KB or mouse for a day or two.
All the Apple devices WILL work together at the same time.

I wonder if you will (maybe) find out the ANY bluetooth device affects your wireless network - unless you have already tried other bluetooth devices - and Logitech company is really not at fault here (I'm just guessing here :D )

vmv89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
Do BOTH Logitech devices cause the slow down - or just one?
Use a USB replacement for one, long enough to check that…
(Maybe you like those Logitech items enough to keep one, eh?)
Try to replace the keyboard first with USB, then the mouse. If you don't have one, maybe you can borrow a USB KB or mouse for a day or two.
All the Apple devices WILL work together at the same time.

I wonder if you will (maybe) find out the ANY bluetooth device affects your wireless network - unless you have already tried other bluetooth devices - and Logitech company is really not at fault here (I'm just guessing here :D )

BOTH T631 AND K811 OFF: 80-90 MB/S
BOTH ON: 1-15 MB/S
ONE T631 OR K811 ON: 20-40 MB/S

SO having one off does help.
If I would have to choose what to leave with me, definitely T631 mouse, because Apple keyboard is not bad.

So you saying if I buy both Apple keyboard and apple magic mouse or/and trackpad, and use them via Bluetooth at the same time, the speed will not be affected as much as it is with my current Logitech devices?

Thanks for helping me!

----------

I will return T631 and K811.
Now thinking what to buy instead.
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse and/or Trackpad

OR

Buy Apple Wired keyboard and wired mouse (travel back in time :))

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your hardware was operating normally, I wouldn't expect that bluetooth devices would affect your wireless speed to any noticeable degree, particularly when you can set up the wifi radio to operate at 5 GHz, out of the range that the bluetooth could affect (2.4 GHz).

vmv89

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2014
If your hardware was operating normally, I wouldn't expect that bluetooth devices would affect your wireless speed to any noticeable degree, particularly when you can set up the wifi radio to operate at 5 GHz, out of the range that the bluetooth could affect (2.4 GHz).

When the Apple technician helped me switch to 5ghz, it took 2 minutes just to load http://www.google.com. So he said 5ghz will not work in my area.

Just now I called Logitech customer service, explained them the issue, and am really disappointed with their customer service. The lady, who seems to be working from overseas, seemed to be less tech savvy than I am. It took 30 minutes for her to understand what my problem is. She had to look up in her manual the difference between Bluetooth and RF.

:mad:Even though I told her I spoke with Apple and Comcast, she told me "if you see that a mouse and keyboard are on and lighted up, you should call Apple or Comcast; it is their problem and not ours".

Even though I love Logitech products, I will have to make a switch.:apple:

I was wondering if Logitech MX Performance mouse would cause interference (it uses adapter instead of pairing).

Yesterday, I tried my brothers Logitech mouse with the adapter plugged in into a USB port, and it did work and the speed was 40-60 MB/s; a huge improvement.

I will probably buy Apple wireless keyboard and Trackpad/Magic mouse today, and for the work that will require a good mouse I will get MX Performace if it will work well.

Thanks!:)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
5GHz Wi-Fi has less penetration strength than 2.4GHz because it is a higher frequency.

Or maybe your non-apple router is not good at it.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I use both the logitech K811 and mx performance and it has never affected my wifi, and I'm on 2.4 only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.