Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rumors of near field communications (NFC) support for the iPhone surface nearly every year, and this year's iPhone 6 rumors are no different, with reports split on whether the device will include the short-range communications technology frequently used for mobile payments. A couple of new reports do, however, come down on the side of NFC being included in the iPhone 6.

The first mention came in a separate leak showing a purported battery from Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 late last week. That report from Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily also mentioned in passing that the iPhone 6 will include a PN65V NFC chip from NXP, but offered no specific evidence in support of the claim.

nxp_pn65_nexus_7.jpg
NXP PN65 NFC chip from Nexus 7 (Source: iFixit)
But now Chinese repair firm GeekBar has shared what is said to be a wiring schematic for just such a chip to be included on the iPhone 6. NXP has been the rumored partner for NFC in the iPhone 6, and the company's PN65 NFC package is used in a number of Android mobile devices.

pn65v_schematic.jpg
Claimed iPhone 6 schematic for NXP PN65V NFC chip
While GeekBar's interpretation of such schematics is questionable given a leak earlier today in which it claimed the iPhone 6 will contain only 1 GB of RAM as the schematic appears to be addressing NAND flash rather than DRAM, the appearance of a PN65V chip on the schematics seems straightforward if they are indeed legitimate.

Apple has been rumored for some time to be working on a mobile payments system, with a launch coming perhaps as soon as this year in partnership with Visa. Details on the system are unclear, but Apple has reportedly been taking a "go-slow" approach for a number of years as it has tried to figure out the best way to deploy such a system without simply competing with existing providers "all fighting over their piece of the pie."

Article Link: Rumored NFC Chip for iPhone 6 Highlighted in Claimed Schematic

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
not another wiring schematic ... this had people up in arms over "1 GB of RAM" :roll eyes:

I really see no need for NFC, with everyone that has android and the ability to use it, i have never seen 1 person use it in real life ... ever.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
As I said in the other story, Apple may not even give schematics to third parties. They may deal only in netlists. So take it with a grain of salt.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Props to Apple to wait and see and do it right, rather than do it first. Having said that it is time now for us to leave our wallets, keys, money and 'smartcards' at home.

Running your life through your phone is the ultimate ecosystem lock-in. Its not if its when..

Pluto88888

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Ok guys now all the parts are leaked out let get this iPhone built up before the September 9th event. lol

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Doubt it. Most retailers don't even have modes for accepting NFC payments. It'd be cool if they included NFC, but most people won't care (prediction).

If they come up with there own payment gateway that works really well it might be the thing to get most retailers onboard with NFC.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Yesssss.

I would love to be able to buy a drink of powerade or something from a restaurant while running. Swing in, pay $1, get refreshment, continue running.

shubie

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2014
I have no actual experience with this stuff, but could NFC be used for home automation stuff? Like a more secure way to unlock a door, rather than using bluetooth.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Said it before and I'll say it again for the 5th or so time: iPhone 6 will have NFC.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Ugh! First the RAM leak, now NFC. It's all good, but I'd like to see a leak about the processor- that'd interest me a lot! Surely if this leaker has gotten his hand on internal schematics, he can leak the specs of the A8. :rolleyes:

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
I could reprogram my old festival bracelets to be clones of the new ones I am going to. Maybe give my friends my VIP area access. hmmmm

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
NFC is required to be in PoS machines by October 2015 as decreed by EMV (EuroPay, MasterCard, Visa), or the retailer is liable for fraud. So, it's most definitely coming.

Link: http://blog.unibulmerchantservices.com/emv-nfc-mobile-wallets-and-credit-card-fraud-liability/
Looking at the article it seems you are wrong. The only thing required would be chip & pin services, not NFC. Of course it likely that any new POS terminal will have NFC ability, but it doesn't require to be activated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.