Rumored NFC Chip for iPhone 6 Highlighted in Claimed Schematic

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rumors of near field communications (NFC) support for the iPhone surface nearly every year, and this year's iPhone 6 rumors are no different, with reports split on whether the device will include the short-range communications technology frequently used for mobile payments. A couple of new reports do, however, come down on the side of NFC being included in the iPhone 6.

The first mention came in a separate leak showing a purported battery from Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 late last week. That report from Taiwanese newspaper Apple Daily also mentioned in passing that the iPhone 6 will include a PN65V NFC chip from NXP, but offered no specific evidence in support of the claim.

[​IMG]
    NXP PN65 NFC chip from Nexus 7 (Source: iFixit)
    But now Chinese repair firm GeekBar has shared what is said to be a wiring schematic for just such a chip to be included on the iPhone 6. NXP has been the rumored partner for NFC in the iPhone 6, and the company's PN65 NFC package is used in a number of Android mobile devices.

[​IMG]
    Claimed iPhone 6 schematic for NXP PN65V NFC chip
    While GeekBar's interpretation of such schematics is questionable given a leak earlier today in which it claimed the iPhone 6 will contain only 1 GB of RAM as the schematic appears to be addressing NAND flash rather than DRAM, the appearance of a PN65V chip on the schematics seems straightforward if they are indeed legitimate.

Apple has been rumored for some time to be working on a mobile payments system, with a launch coming perhaps as soon as this year in partnership with Visa. Details on the system are unclear, but Apple has reportedly been taking a "go-slow" approach for a number of years as it has tried to figure out the best way to deploy such a system without simply competing with existing providers "all fighting over their piece of the pie."

Article Link: Rumored NFC Chip for iPhone 6 Highlighted in Claimed Schematic

2. macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I wonder if this will be the "One more thing" feature.

3. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

Hmmm...will believe it when I see it.

4. macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

not another wiring schematic ... this had people up in arms over "1 GB of RAM" :roll eyes:

I really see no need for NFC, with everyone that has android and the ability to use it, i have never seen 1 person use it in real life ... ever.

5. macrumors 6502

decimortis

NFC is right. Noone ********** Cares. ;)

D.

6. macrumors 6502a

In 6 hours do we get another schematic update with contactless wireless charging?

7. macrumors 6502a

Useless.

8. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As I said in the other story, Apple may not even give schematics to third parties. They may deal only in netlists. So take it with a grain of salt.

9. macrumors member

One Bad Duck

Props to Apple to wait and see and do it right, rather than do it first. Having said that it is time now for us to leave our wallets, keys, money and 'smartcards' at home.

Running your life through your phone is the ultimate ecosystem lock-in. Its not if its when..

10. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Finally!

11. macrumors regular

Doubt it. Most retailers don't even have modes for accepting NFC payments. It'd be cool if they included NFC, but most people won't care (prediction).

12. macrumors regular

Ok guys now all the parts are leaked out let get this iPhone built up before the September 9th event. lol

13. macrumors 6502a

If they come up with there own payment gateway that works really well it might be the thing to get most retailers onboard with NFC.

14. macrumors 6502

Yesssss.

I would love to be able to buy a drink of powerade or something from a restaurant while running. Swing in, pay $1, get refreshment, continue running.

15. macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Wouldn't that be useful? I once used it for Wii Remotes back in like 2007, and it worked wonders. But no, I'm not gullible enough to believe that.

16. macrumors newbie

I have no actual experience with this stuff, but could NFC be used for home automation stuff? Like a more secure way to unlock a door, rather than using bluetooth.

17. macrumors 6502a

Said it before and I'll say it again for the 5th or so time: iPhone 6 will have NFC.

18. macrumors 65816

dagamer34

19. macrumors 6502a

I want this to become a reality sooner rather than later
    Apple patents a 1-meter-range wireless charging system

20. macrumors regular

Ugh! First the RAM leak, now NFC. It's all good, but I'd like to see a leak about the processor- that'd interest me a lot! Surely if this leaker has gotten his hand on internal schematics, he can leak the specs of the A8. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

22. macrumors regular

I could reprogram my old festival bracelets to be clones of the new ones I am going to. Maybe give my friends my VIP area access. hmmmm

23. macrumors 65816

People complain about everything they can.

24. macrumors 6502a

Looking at the article it seems you are wrong. The only thing required would be chip & pin services, not NFC. Of course it likely that any new POS terminal will have NFC ability, but it doesn't require to be activated.

25. macrumors regular

ashton18

Yay