Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackMamba14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
As a student the current Air is 125$ off for a 16gb WiFi. Have the budget for a 499$ iPad but unsure whether the Air 2 is going to be worth waiting for. Thanks for your input

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even with the potentially increased ram. I'd go for the Air now if you're able to save a nice chunk of change.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Even with the potentially increased ram. I'd go for the Air now if you're able to save a nice chunk of change.

I agree. The Air is a great device and although this safari reload issue does seem real it hardly affects everyone equally. Many of us have no such issues. You get a return policy so why try out the Air with the good savings and see how it works for you?

As for the extra RAM? No one knows for sure if that will even rectify the safari reload problem. I believe that it's a software issue and safari needs fixing. That's why pretty much the only complaint you get about the Air is the tab reloads on safari. If it's truly RAM then why aren't we seeing problems while running graphically intense games and such? Makes no sense.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
The current Air is a fantastic tablet. I have no issues recommending it to you. A strategy that you may want to employ is pick up the current Air and get the 32 GB model. 16GB isn't going to go very far for you.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Stay on target for the next generation.
;)
Target will have the best deal on the iPad Air, offering it at the discounted price of $479 and including a $100 Target gift card with the purchase, essentially dropping the price of the iPad Air to $379. The offer is listed in their weekly ad and appears to be in store only. Target's supplies are likely to be limited and the store is opening at 8 PM on Thursday, November 28, in many areas.

----------------

The current Air is a fantastic tablet. I have no issues recommending it to you. A strategy that you may want to employ is pick up the current Air and get the 32 GB model.

What if 32GB is the base for the next generation?

I say wait.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
If (and when) the next ipad air 2 has more memory, there propably will be apps only compatible with Air 2 in the future. And this is the dilemma - developers surely take the advantage of the extra memory available but it also means that those apps wont work with Air1 and people will be disappointed. So it is up to Apple and will they start a new line with extra memory or do they wont all apps to be compatible with the earlier devices.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
The air 2 and mini 3 are just around the corner. I would wait. Rumors say they may also be thinner and even lighter then last years!

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
I would recommend purchasing an iPad Air or Air 2 with a minimum of 32GB storage memory. If iOS does switch to 64 bit apps in the coming years then you will want as much storage space as possible since the space requirements to store the apps will increase significantly. You will also want more space to store and play HD video content. Limited storage memory is one of the biggest crutches for base model 16GB iPads. If you can afford the 64GB or 128GB storage for the Air or Air 2 then that will extend the longevity of your purchase more than simply getting the newer Air 2 over the Air.

What I like about the current Air is that it's a mature product. Most of the production bugs have been worked out for the past year. Therefore I got the 128GB iPad Air Wifi from BB in a deal too good to refuse. I saved over $120 USD with the sale and rewards discounts I had available to use. The Air 2 will be slightly thinner, lighter, have the touch sensor and 2GB memory but prices will likely be much higher than the current Air on sale and availability may be limited after it's released. I figure that if I really like the Air 2 after it's released I still could purchase one next year and either keep the current Air or sell it.

Last edited:

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
I'm a student as well and I'm waiting for the next gen. In my case, I'm on the fence between Air 2 and rMini 2.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If (and when) the next ipad air 2 has more memory, there propably will be apps only compatible with Air 2 in the future. And this is the dilemma - developers surely take the advantage of the extra memory available but it also means that those apps wont work with Air1 and people will be disappointed. So it is up to Apple and will they start a new line with extra memory or do they wont all apps to be compatible with the earlier devices.
That's not exactly how it works. App compatibility is usually based on iOS version and not strictly hardware specifications. While apps will be able to use more memory on an iPad with 2GB RAM, that doesn't mean they won't work on older models with 1GB or less. Granted, badly coded apps might be prone to crashing on older devices. The iPad 2 and iPad mini both have just 512MB RAM and as long as they're running iOS 7, they should be able to run all the same apps that the iPad Air and iPad mini retina do.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I'm a student as well and I'm waiting for the next gen. In my case, I'm on the fence between Air 2 and rMini 2.

Are you a boy or girl?
My wife prefers the air because she can carry it with her at all times in her purse. I am a man I do not have a purse. Consequently my main tablet is the iPad mini. Although I prefer using the air, and even have one, I do not use it most of the time because it will not fit in my back pocket. To me it all boils down to portability and ones ability to carry the device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.