Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I don't think so...
Why should we be forced to buy a huge screen iPhone just to get the latest features?
It's going to be way too big to use with one hand.
The 5S has an amazing screen size and the 4.7 will be the perfect size if we can use it with one hand use.

I hope both iPhones has the same specs.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I don't think so...
Why should we be forced to buy a huge screen iPhone just to get the latest features?
The 5S has an amazing screen size and the 4.7 will be the perfect size if we can use it with one hand use.

While I agree that I hope both iPhones have the same specs, the 5.5 would obviously have a bigger footprint, therefore I wouldn't be surprised if the 5.5 had better specs than the 4.7.

With that being said, apple usually does a good job optimizing their software for the hardware they sell, so I am sure in real world usage both would be sufficient.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Fair? Why wouldn't it be fair? :confused:

Since
Many would want to have a comfortable size iPhone and price.
I don't want to hold an iPhone with 2 hands just to reply to a text.
Phones are meant to be comfortable and portable.
iPad Mini is meant for the mid size.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Since
Many would want to have a comfortable size iPhone and price.
I don't want to hold an iPhone with 2 hands just to reply to a text.
Phones are meant to be comfortable and portable.
iPad Mini is meant for the mid size.

Life isn't fair. :)

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
IF a 5.5 exists for this cycle, they'll announce specs in advance of sales for the 4.7.

So, it really does not matter.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Let's say it has better battery life, a better camera, a faster processor, and more RAM.

Let's also say that all of those things are possible because it's bigger. (Just like how the iPad's processor is faster than the iPhone's.) That makes sense to me.

So what's your solution? To cripple the larger phone? Make it worse for no other reason than to make you feel better? Turn things off that exist naturally in the phone but which you don't want those users to have?

In what way is any of that "fair?"

Unless Apple comes out and says the 5.5 users get more iCloud storage space because Apple loves them more I think you need to just get over it.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
It hadn't been announced yet but still. Is it fair that Samsung made the s4 and note 3 etc? One has an s pen and larger battery I believe however it turns out it will be fair not because I will be buying both but because Apple will say it's fair...

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
size doesn't matter for me, bigger screen makes bigger issue so according to me 4.7 is perfect screen size for iPhone 6. i also have an iPhone 5s i m very comfortable with the screen size.so in future i would like to with 4.7 iPhone 6.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I don't think so...

Life is sometimes not fair. You are not "forced" to but anything and Apple is just offering you choices.

I doubt the 5.5 will have any features not offered by the 4.7 model, that is if there is a 5.5 model.

I do not think they will be offered at the same time so you will be getting the 4.7 first with the other likely not out till at least 30 days later.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
If they are charging a significant premium for a 5.5" version over a 4.7", then why wouldn't it be fair if it has more features? Apple don't owe you anything. You either buy it or you don't.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see how fairness plays into different features.

If the 5.5" is going to be more expensive, I can see apple adding more features. It helps with getting consumers to justify the higher cost.

Jack snakeskin

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I don't think so...

If it was fair then how would we be able to make fun of you and laugh in your face for having a lower spec and cheaper device?

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I don't see it as more features, but different features to handled tasks that require the bigger screen. If Apple were to give the 5.5 a stylus and not the 4.7. That makes complete sense. That has nothing to do with fairness. Bigger battery again makes complete sense.

I don't think the phone will be getting some new kind of iOS 8 with all these features just for that phone. One because we have seen nothing to confirm something like that. Which at this point there should have been something because they would have had to do some kind of beta testing. Second Look at the iPad Air and iPad Mini. Both have the same iOS 7. The iPad Air is just bigger. Same will be the case in the phone.

All that said. We have nothing to even say we are getting a 5.5 iPhone this year. There have been little to no mock ups that are believable, and as the release gets closer and closer. The rumors have gotten quieter, and quieter. I just don't think we have anything to worry about.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
It doesn't matter. You'd hope the battery would be larger in the 5.5, as the larger screen would necessitate it. As for processing power, etc., it doesn't matter. iOS will run fine on it. Additionally, for people upgrading from the painfully slow 4's and 4s's, it'll seem blazing fast.

I'll get the 4.7 screen as I only have 1 pair of cargo pants and don't want to be the man purse guy just to carry my phone. :rolleyes:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Such a strange sense of what is fair or not.

Only way to twist the definition of fairness into this would be by saying it's unfair to the 4.7" model itself as if it was a sentient being. Lol

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
If there is a 5.5" iPhone 6 coming out with higher specs than the 4.7" iPhone 6 there will definitely be a higher price tag on it. Fair? Absolutely!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
You're asking if it's fair that the more expensive product has more features than it's cheaper counterparts. Is this a serious question?

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Definitely "fair". But, I hope the 4.7 version has enough of a spec upgrade that I won't covet the 5.5. That would be a challenge to carry around given I also often lug the iPad.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I agree with many of the other posts. If they release both a 4.7 and a 5.5 the 5.5 will automatically be more expensive probably. If it is more expensive then yes it should have more features since they would be expecting people to pay more for it. In addition, the 5.5 would be bigger (obviously), leaving more room to put in things such as a bigger battery, etc. They can't drag down the 5.5 just because the 4.7 doesn't have the capability to hold what the 5.5 can. Finally, I don't know much about tech other than I like it so I may be wrong, but it seems like a bigger phone would require more power and a bigger battery to run it.

So I guess in the end I'm say yes I think it's "fair" for the 5.5 to have features that the 4.7 doesn't. And if the features are good enough I will buy it rather than 4.7 that I had been pretty set on.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think if the 5.5" is more expensive then yes it would be fair for the 5.5" to have more features. Also you are talking about a different type of device, yes its still a phone but it would also be a phablet and Apple know this, thats why i think they will be adding a 128GB option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.