Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French Apple website IGen.fr (Google Translate) has shared a variety of new details about Apple's upcoming iPhone 6, including dimensions for each model, info about the protruding camera ring on the rear of both devices, and more. The photos appear to be of internal information residing in a Foxconn factory, as the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and 4.7-inch iPhone 6 carry code names of N56 and N61, respectively.

The information states that the final version of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will measure 158 mm long, 78 mm wide, and 7.1 mm thick (7.7 with the protruding camera), weighing 184.6 grams, or 6.5 ounces. Also spotted is information for a first prototype, which retained the same length and width but was 7.0 mm thick and weighed 168.5 grams, or 5.9 ounces.

igen_iphone6_dimensions_55.jpg
Supposed measurements of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6​
Meanwhile, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is said to measure at 138 mm long, 66 mm wide, and 6.9 mm thick, as the weight of the device is not listed. For comparison, the iPhone 5s measures 123x58 mm and is 7.6 mm thick.

igen_iphone6_comparison_all.jpg
A comparison of both the 5.5-inch and 4.7-inch model, as well as the iPhone 5s​
A source close to the production of the 5.5-inch version claims that it will feature a battery with a large capacity, possibly 2915 mAh. That number comes from a in line with a component leak spotted earlier this month. The source did not specify whether the larger device was equipped with a sapphire display, however Apple reportedly shipped 28 containers of displays to Foxconn from the United States. It is possible that those containers could have come from GT Advanced Technologies, which Apple partnered with to produce sapphire displays at a factory in Arizona. However, no additional evidence suggests that is the case.

igen_iphone6_protruding_camera.jpg
A schematic showing the protruding camera on each iPhone 6 and the iPhone 5s​
Specifics around the protruding camera ring on both devices are also seen in the photos, as the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will have an external camera ring that protrudes at 0.67-0.77 millimeters while the ring on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will protrude at 0.77 mm. Both protruding camera rings appear to be similar to the one on the fifth-generation iPod touch, although it is unknown at this time what specific purpose they serve. The schematic of the protruding camera ring on the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 was spotted a few days ago, however that was originally interpreted to be for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6.

Finally, the source notes that the iPhone 6 features a well cut-out logo on its rear, which is said to be made from a very durable material and lines up with previous leaks. The device's rear bands sighted in previous leaks are also said to be featured on the iPhone 6, and will act as refined antennas. Apple was also said to be working to feature a 2.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone 6, however the company scrapped it to avoid complaints about compatibility issues with existing audio accessories.

Certification tests for both models were said to take place last week, with mass production reportedly beginning this week. Apple is said to have ordered 40 million 4.7-inch units of the iPhone 6 for the rest of 2014, and is aiming for a 100 million devices by the end of this year. It was also stated that the launch 5.5-inch version may be delayed until a later time, although both are scheduled to be introduced at the same time.

Apple will reveal the iPhone 6 at a media event on Tuesday, September 9. In addition to a refined design as mentioned above, both models of the device will feature a faster A8 processor, an improved camera, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Information Leak Sourced from Foxconn Details Dimensions of 4.7-Inch and 5.5-Inch Versions

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
No but really... A 0.6mm protruding lens is insane.

Last edited:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Organs

I guess it's time to sell a kidney and a testicle to be able to afford a 5.5", sapphire display, 128 GB version, unlocked, black.

Man, I wish I could justify and buy it. I hate my Galaxy.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
So the camera lens i think will come out to 1 mm for optical zoom?
it could be possible?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice, as we get closer to September that larger iPhone 6 is becoming more and more likely.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm hoping thats actually an iPhone 5S with upgraded internals.... EG they chuck an A8 Processor into it and possibly some other small upgrades for us 4 inch lovers!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
The evidence is mounting that there will indeed be a 5.5" iPhone 6, whether it will be released at the same time as the 4.7" we will find out. But i think they will both be announced at the same time i.e, September 9th :D

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
for the first time in all the generations i did not buy a 5s. My 5, its battery, goes from 100$ to 79% to 53% to 27% to 19% to 11% to 1%. Then can last on that 1% for a while. Need. New. Phone.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I guess there white bands are here to stay

sigh

I'm okay with them if they make the Antenna reception better… not that the current iPhone is bad, but increased range and strength of signal is always welcomed if that's the net affect.

Aesthetically, I hope the make the bands the same color as the body… then you won't notice them too much anyway. But if they are white against gray or black, that will look goofy.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I'll be getting the 4.7,but I'm happy there's more proof of the 5.5 for all those that want it. Just waiting for the keynote now...

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
I'm hoping there's a good reason for the lens sticking out, and not just for the phone to be .6mm thinner!

However I have a DodoCase on my iPhone 5, and if I do the same on the 6, then that should line up quite nicely with the lens

And i'm still torn between 4.7 and 5.5. I know 5.5 is silly HUGE, but I never use my phone for calling, so a bigger screen would benefit me most of the time. But..its HUGE

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
That's 4.5 mm narrower than this phone which also features a 4.7" display.

Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Slim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Why does the N56 say Proto 1 and Proto 2, but the N61 doesn't have "Proto" listed?

No final version yet for N56?

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
158 mm long, 78 mm wide, and 7.1 mm thick ), weighing 184.6 grams for 5.5" ?
We use to smile about Note 3 and how big it is with it's 5.7" but look...i think for a 5.5" it is so monstrous.

Phil at iphone 5 presentation said: "It is really easy to make a product that's bigger,everybody does that"
So Apple is no longer THAT company

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
I'd say that that was a fairly thorough synopsis of the new 6. Still nothing Earth-shatteringly different than any of the previously reported leaks, just further confirmation as to what will be soon announced.

Looking forward to it.

imm22

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Portugal
And thats by far one of the ugliest smartphone I ever seen... That makes it the ugliest iPhone ever. :eek:

Or, or ... apple may have a new trick. They started to copy what the automobile industry does to there prototypes.
attachment.php

I hope this is the case.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
These kinds of things remind me why I hate the mainstream.
I don't wanna sound like a hipster, but seriously why 5.5, who in the damn world has hands that big and can still use their phone with 1 hand. What happened to small and comfortable to use after taking it out of your pocket?

What ever happened to technology having to get smaller and smaller, why are we going in the opposite direction? only to realise later that we want things smaller again because it's all too big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.