Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

programmer<3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I recently got my rMBP 15" mid-2014 model. It is equipped with an i7 cpu and 16 gb ram. 2 days ago, I fully charged my mac. Then, I began my work on a document. After working for 6 hours, I thought I'd take a break. At that time, 20% battery was left. I opened chess. Within 10 minutes into the game, my macbook's fan started roaring at full speed. I checked the activity moniter and saw sjeng (chess engine) using 100% cpu. Is this normal? Can chess really hog the cpu and force the fans to full speed on an i7?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's your temperature?

Any process pegging the CPU at 10% will cause the fans to kick into higher gear. Given the computationally complex algorithms of chess, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not a chess player so I'll leave it at that.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just fired up Chess and played a few minutes and CPU hovered around 7% the whole time. Does it do this is you make a new test login account and play from there?

programmer<3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I just fired up Chess and played a few minutes and CPU hovered around 7% the whole time. Does it do this is you make a new test login account and play from there?

Open the chess and check the "sjeng" process. It will show something around 100%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.