Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

73b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
I am going to be getting an iPhone 6 on release day. I am not sure whether or not I should trade in/sell my iPhone 5 now or immediately after. Do you think the value would drop that much right away? If I sell it around next week, I could use an old slide-out keyboard phone I have for a week or so until the 6 comes in, if this would get me a substantially larger amount of money for my phone.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Every year I'm surprised how little the value of the previous couple of iPhones drop. You will lose some money, but not a lot, and, to me, it's almost worth not having to switch to a go phone for a few weeks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sell it now, as the market will get flooded with iPhone 5 sales. Supply and demand, the supply will get saturated next month thus bringing down the price.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I wouldn't expect the iPhone 5 value to go down that much when the iPhone 6 is released. I think the iPhone 5S value will drop more substantially as it will no longer be the current model. Gazelle's current value for a 16GB iPhone 5 in good condition is about $150 (or $175 if it is unlocked). For comparison a iPhone 5s in good condition gets $260 and an iPhone 4S gets $100.

Considering the unsubsidized cost of an iPhone 5 was $649 the price has already dropped substantially.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wouldn't expect the iPhone 5 value to go down that much when the iPhone 6 is released..

When I got the iPhone 5, and tried to sell my 2 year old iPhone 4, the value plummeted because everyone and his brother were selling them. I fully expect the same issue to occur. The 5S is only a year old and will hold the value more then a 2 year old phone.

73b

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
When I got the iPhone 5, and tried to sell my 2 year old iPhone 4, the value plummeted because everyone and his brother were selling them. I fully expect the same issue to occur. The 5S is only a year old and will hold the value more then a 2 year old phone.

What time do you suggest selling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.