Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 that I'm planning to sell to Gazelle (I'm upgrading to a 6). You receive more money if you sell an unlocked phone, of course, and this seems fairly easy to do with AT&T. I just have a few quick questions first:

Can you still use AT&T's service after unlocking your phone? In other words, should I do this now prior to receiving my new phone next month?

Also, I have been an unlimited plan still. Will unlocking my phone affect this? Any other contract issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It will still work on ATT, it just opens the door to use the phone on other carriers.

It should not affect your unlimited plan since you're not really making any changes to the plan.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
I have an iPhone 5 that I'm planning to sell to Gazelle (I'm upgrading to a 6). You receive more money if you sell an unlocked phone, of course, and this seems fairly easy to do with AT&T. I just have a few quick questions first:

Can you still use AT&T's service after unlocking your phone? In other words, should I do this now prior to receiving my new phone next month?

Also, I have been an unlimited plan still. Will unlocking my phone affect this? Any other contract issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, you can still use AT&T service after unlocking and it will not affect your unlimited plan. The unlock usually takes less than a day to complete.
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
There are services you can use to check the unlock status after you sent the request to AT&T. Also, you might want to check out other sites that may offer you a bit more for your unlocked phone. Gazelle's prices are usually on the lower end of the reputable trade in sites.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I just did this and the unlock came through in just 7 hours.

EDH667: Do I really have to backup & restore my iPhone to get the unlock to work like it says in the instruction email?

My unlock came in 20 minutes. Yes. After the restore the phone was unlocked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.