Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I'm looking at picking up a used 2012 MBP. The price is good, but I'm told it runs really slow and the fans run constantly. I plan on replacing the HDD and maxing out the RAM anyway, but I can't get to the machine to run a hardware test before purchase. Could this be some other sort of hardware issue (logic board)?

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013
I'm looking at picking up a used 2012 MBP. The price is good, but I'm told it runs really slow and the fans run constantly. I plan on replacing the HDD and maxing out the RAM anyway, but I can't get to the machine to run a hardware test before purchase. Could this be some other sort of hardware issue (logic board)?

The thermal paste might need to be changed if the fan is on constantly.

Is it the 15" model or 13"?

If it has a 5400 RPM HDD and maybe 2 GB of RAM, I could understand why it would be described as slow.

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
It's a 13" with stock 500GB drive and 4G of RAM

----------

Is it possible that this would be a logic board issue?

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
If the fan run constantly, the heat sink could be blocked or thermal paste should be redone.

I recently had a similar issue with my 2011 MBP. You wouldn't believe how dirty it was inside.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Two possibilities:

Something is running on the machine, maxxing out the CPU, causing it to appear slow to the user and run hot.

Airflow blockage is causing it to run hot enough to throttle, hence appearing slow.

A screenshot of the CPU activity monitor panel sorted with the highest CPU usage at the top will likely tell you, or you can post here, and possibly the vendor can send you before you get it or make a final decision?

Highly unlikely to be the HDD, while they can cause apparent slowness if they are logging errors, that failure doesn't tend to make the machine run hot in my experience.

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
The plan is to get a big SSD and max out the RAM. I plan on installing the OS from scratch (you can still do that, right?) so I'm really hoping it's software related. As far as I can tell from research it's either software (resource) related, fan sensor related, or dirt. Does that really cover all the bases or is there some chance that I'm gonna have a bum logic board?

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Is anything likely to even show up in a hardware test if it were the logic board?

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Don't know, it's an online purchase. I asked the guy if he'd do a hardware test. Waiting to see. Thanks for all the help guys. I've only ever had one Mac that had a logic board fail and I don't really remember the details.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems like a number of red flags on this used MBP sale. Unless the price is really low and you can afford to lose that money on getting a defective mac, I'd walk away.

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like a number of red flags on this used MBP sale. Unless the price is really low and you can afford to lose that money on getting a defective mac, I'd walk away.

I'd use the 'issues' presented to drive the price down as far as I could get the seller (and honestly, it should be a KILLER deal, as most Apple owners I know have no idea how to fix anything)

The first thing I'd do, is a full clean and re-paste:

Why would I do these things? Because I've done them before ;)

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Here is the only error reported from the hardware test:

4SNS/1/c0000008:TSOP--124

Heatsink sensor it seems.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Here is the only error reported from the hardware test:

4SNS/1/c0000008:TSOP--124

Heatsink sensor it seems.
A temp sensor failing will make the computer default to full blast fans, as it has no idea whether it needs cooling or not and takes no chances.

The sensor itself is about $20 or so if I recall, Apple should fix it for very little money.

If by running hot the guy is just stating that the computer is warm to the touch, well that's just how MBP's are.

luthier42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
I decided against it. After looking at the 38 step repair at iFixit and realizing that I could get the same machine without the heat problem for an additional $70 (a good deal less when you consider the part, thermal paste, and a few tools I don't currently have) and not have to disconnect all those crazy small connections it seemed like it might not be worth the effort and risk that I might damage something in the process. Thanks for all the help guys, I learned a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.