Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Hi Guys,

Every year my broadband provider seems to cut me off due to "technical issues" at their cabinets.

When this happens I can be without internet for up to 7 days whilst they repair the issue.

When this happens my Apple TV can still see my iMacs iTunes library but because it can't get online to authorise my media etc it won't stream them..

is there a way round this?

its really frustrating as all the content is stored locally on my mac upstairs

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
that would be the in a perfect world scenario.

1. All movies and TV from iTunes have DRM
2. any of my own content i.e. ripped content will play but will take ages to stream if internet is down. you'd think with it being local on house wifi it would still be instant?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When this happens my Apple TV can still see my iMacs iTunes library but because it can't get online to authorise my media etc it won't stream them..

Naturally it won't stream your DRM'd media if your internet connection is down. Would you expect different?

As for authorization, I don't believe an internet connection is needed to play your purchased media. I certainly don't need one. So the easy answer for you is to store your purchased media locally.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
I have all my content stored locally on my iMac upstairs.

when the internet went down my apple tv can still see the iMac and its iTunes library but when i select a movie or tv show that was purchased via iTunes it says it is not authorised to play the content. i.e. my wifi network is still active and all computers can file share and see each other etc.

I can still play the content on the iMac upstairs but the apple tv will not except the stream.

it appears that despite having the content stored on my iMac the apple tv still needs to check online that it is authorised.

My question is does anyone know a workaround incase it happens again?

all my content is purchased via iTunes and it frustrating that on the odd occasion where my internet does go down i can't view any of my purchases on the TV.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
all my content is my own, and not purchased through itunes, when internet goes down i can't play anything. only workaround i found was to airplay from within itunes on my mac. this worked for me even though i couldnt access the files through the atv directly.

Longkeg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2014
The Nation’s (US) Oldest City
Have you tried playing the content on your iMac and mirroring the iMac screen to the AppleTV via AirPlay?

Oops... Never mind. If you don't have the internet then your DRM content won't be authorized on the computer either. I think you'll have to wait till your internet comes back. What kind of ISP lets their service go dark for a week at a time? I hope you're not paying for that down time.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Have you tried playing the content on your iMac and mirroring the iMac screen to the AppleTV via AirPlay?

don't use mirroring (the setting in the menu bar of the mac)
just use regular airplay in iTunes itself, choose a destination from the top of the app.

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
That won't work, or it didn't for me... If I tried to go full screen, during a video, it still gave me authorization errors.

So the funny thing is that it needs it authorizes somewhat randomly. I built a new house, and it took about a month to get actual internet into my house. Here's what I did:

1. I bought this TRENDnet Wireless Bridge
2. I set it up to connect to the hotspot on my phone.
3. I plugged the bridge into the Internet port of my router that would normally hook to my modem.
4. I activated the hotspot and restarted my Apple TV.

Because it doesn't authorize every movie. You don't have to have it on all the time. I would turn it on when I wanted to get on the net, but the rest of the time, I left it off. I don't recall having too much trouble out of it.

It's not a perfect solution, but it's a great stop-gap measure for when the internet is down for extended periods of time.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Don't buy content with DRM on it.

It's not a DRM issue for the file, its an issue of Apple devices validating the iTunes account ID in order to negotiate a Home Sharing connection. And since Apple TV is based on Home Sharing, no Internet will damn near completely kill an Apple TV in some (many) situations.

You can still play music on it when this happens, because that does not use the Home Sharing, it uses the older "Shared Library" method.

I experienced this earlier this year when my ISP's DNS blocked Apple for a little while. My fix was to switch to 8.8.8.8.

photo.jpg

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
When I have no internet I can still see content, videos, but it takes a long time to load. Real pain in the butt, I am thinking of getting something else for when the internet is down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.