Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 18, 2013
I had a problem today where none of our Apple devices would work on the Apple related services. Our AppleTV had no access to the Internet and could see our server, but wouldn't actually play anything.

And our iOS devices couldn't use Home Sharing. It could see the server, but would get an "You do not have permission to access this content".

And my Mac could not access the Apple website, nor could iTunes access the store.

Also Netflix didn't work from any of our iOS devices.

After some hair pulling and restoring of the AppleTV, I finally discovered that AT&T DNS service was to blame.

I switched everything over to Google DNS (8.8.8.8) and suddenly everything worked again.

What caught me off guard was that even when playing local content from a server, AppleTV still has to go out to the Internet to validate the iTunes accounts for Home Sharing.

I was shocked to only see 2 icons on the screen. :eek:

photo.jpg

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
And my Mac could not access the Apple website, nor could iTunes access the store.

It's unlikely that you were 'blocked'. More likely there was a temporary problem with your provider's DNS. I've needed to resort to using Google's DNS myself when the domain controller in our office failed to boot properly.

If you reset DNS to its default, you might find the situation resolved itself. If it doesn't, let your provider know. Blocking access to the Apple website won't be deliberate on their part.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
home sharing needs an internet connection (don't get me started on the stupidity of that), but what you can do is airplay from your itunes. so when my internet went down for a couple days not too long ago, i couldn't homeshare, but i just went to itunes and manually sent it to the ATV, and that works fine

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I had a similar problem connecting with certain websites (Amazon, USAToday as examples) while others connected fine. Tried resetting everything, clearing caches, all the usual stuff. Then I discovered that all of my equipments (MBP, MB, iPad) was having the same problem, so I came to the conclusion that it must be an ISP problem (I have AT&T U-verse). Contacted them (through live chat) and after a few minutes of "checking" the CSR told me that there was a problem and "maintenance" was being performed and the service should be fine in a while. After a couple hours, everything started working normally.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I have also had intermittent issues with my ISP's DNS servers (TWC). In fact on one prolonged outage the recommended temporary solution by TWC was to use google's servers. I have found google to be more reliable and faster so I just leave my router set to use it.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
home sharing needs an internet connection (don't get me started on the stupidity of that), but what you can do is airplay from your itunes. so when my internet went down for a couple days not too long ago, i couldn't homeshare, but i just went to itunes and manually sent it to the ATV, and that works fine

Home sharing does not need internet at all. When my modem stopped working once, I was able to stream everything from my mac Mini to my Apple TV and used my Remote app on my iPhone, and all of those needs Home sharing to work.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Home sharing does not need internet at all. When my modem stopped working once, I was able to stream everything from my mac Mini to my Apple TV and used my Remote app on my iPhone, and all of those needs Home sharing to work.

well then you're lucky somehow. me and many others around here have discussed how it hasn't worked for us when internet was down

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
well then you're lucky somehow. me and many others around here have discussed how it hasn't worked for us when internet was down

it's not luck at all. I also know people who camp in campers/RV's, no internet at all, and they do the same to watch a movie on a rainy day.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
it's not luck at all. I also know people who camp in campers/RV's, no internet at all, and they do the same to watch a movie on a rainy day.
linds15 is absolutely correct. I don't know how you do it without internet but I wish you would find out and tell the rest of the world how it is done. Apparently Apple doesn't know that it can be done.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972

4. Check your network connection
Home Sharing requires a home network with an active Internet connection. All the devices you want to use with Home Sharing need to be connected to your home network.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I couldn't get my home sharing to work in the past and Apple tech told me I needed an internet connection. Dunno if there is a work around.

On that note I've found (and thousands of others) that you need an Apple server to make your HOME WIFI work. During the update to iOS 6 the Apple server that determines whether you are logging into community wifi via safari or home wifi went down.

Basically if Apple disappeared many Apple devices would be useless in even the most basic task.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
linds15 is absolutely correct. I don't know how you do it without internet but I wish you would find out and tell the rest of the world how it is done. Apparently Apple doesn't know that it can be done.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2972

4. Check your network connection
Home Sharing requires a home network with an active Internet connection. All the devices you want to use with Home Sharing need to be connected to your home network.

That is when you 1st turn on Home Sharing because it does acess the iTunes store to verify your iTunes password.

There was a guy on here once who was doing Home Sharing in his car (please don't ask why, I didn't read that far).

I've does this a few times because for a while internet was going down a few times a week, so we just streamed movies from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
That is when you 1st turn on Home Sharing because it does acess the iTunes store to verify your iTunes password.

There was a guy on here once who was doing Home Sharing in his car (please don't ask why, I didn't read that far).

I've does this a few times because for a while internet was going down a few times a week, so we just streamed movies from the Mac Mini to the Apple TV.

no, it states "Learn what you can do if, after setting up Home Sharing, you cannot access your shared iTunes library over your home network from another computer, Apple TV, or iOS device."

i have homesharing setup on 3 ATVs, and my mac mini. it works, if i go upstairs and turn off my modem it will stop working. so in the interest of myself and other members who have encountered this, can you explain the steps you took to either setup your system to not need internet, or the steps you take when there is no internet to get it functioning.

myself and many more would very much appreciate it

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
no, it states "Learn what you can do if, after setting up Home Sharing, you cannot access your shared iTunes library over your home network from another computer, Apple TV, or iOS device."

i have homesharing setup on 3 ATVs, and my mac mini. it works, if i go upstairs and turn off my modem it will stop working. so in the interest of myself and other members who have encountered this, can you explain the steps you took to either setup your system to not need internet, or the steps you take when there is no internet to get it functioning.

myself and many more would very much appreciate it
Ditto.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
home sharing needs an internet connection
No, it doesn't, once it has been set up.
I had a problem today where none of our Apple devices would work on the Apple related services. Our AppleTV had no access to the Internet and could see our server, but wouldn't actually play anything.

And our iOS devices couldn't use Home Sharing. It could see the server, but would get an "You do not have permission to access this content".
AT&T has nothing to do with home sharing, which only requires your home Wi-Fi network to operate. You could still use home sharing even with no Internet service provider at all, once the initial setup is complete.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

AT&T has nothing to do with home sharing, which only requires your home Wi-Fi network to operate. You could still use home sharing even with no Internet service provider at all, once the initial setup is complete.

Thank you! Like posted the internet is just required to access the iTunes Store to check the Apple ID and password (i believe that's all), once that is done, no internet is needed.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North

so can me and the others get an explaination of how this works for you? we all get it. you say you dont need internet. great, but alot of us don't get it working without. so more than "you dont need it" would be nice to have so we can share in your internet free homesharing experience

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
so can me and the others get an explaination of how this works for you? we all get it. you say you dont need internet. great, but alot of us don't get it working without. so more than "you dont need it" would be nice to have so we can share in your internet free homesharing experience
  • Perform the initial setup of Home Sharing with your Internet connection established.
  • Then do not turn off Home Sharing, or you'll have to go through setup again, which will require the Internet.
  • Once the setup is complete, unplug the cable from your router, eliminating your Internet connection.
  • Home Sharing still works, as long as your Wi-Fi network is still up.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
  • Perform the initial setup of Home Sharing with your Internet connection established.
  • Then do not turn off Home Sharing, or you'll have to go through setup again, which will require the Internet.
  • Once the setup is complete, unplug the cable from your router, eliminating your Internet connection.
  • Home Sharing still works, as long as your Wi-Fi network is still up.
Sorry but that is simply not true for everybody. It seems that at least *some* :apple:TVs randomly try to connect to the iTunes store and if the internet connection is down it disables streaming from the home shared computers.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Sorry but that is simply not true for everybody. It seems that at least *some* :apple:TVs randomly try to connect to the iTunes store and if the internet connection is down it disables streaming from the home shared computers.
I would suspect some other problem at work there. I've never encountered such an issue with any of the Home Sharing setups I've done.

parazitu22

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013

GGJstudios is correct, however it depends on what type of content you are trying to play. If it's drm'd tv shows or movies purchased form itunes the apple tv will try to ping apple's servers to verify the drm, and will not work without an internet connection. If the files are drm free home sharing will work just fine without internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.