Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:15 PM   #1
mmoin
macrumors regular

touchpad doesn't work, please help

So I just got my iBook yesterday, and it's great, but the touchpad no longer works. My USB mouse works perfectly, but the touchpad (the pad and the button) doesn't work at all, since this morning when I installed a 256MB DIMM in the laptop. I've tried powering down and then turning on the computer without the usb mouse attached, and I lifted the keyboard, and the touchpad cable (I think it's the touchpad cable, the brown thing) is attached. Any ideas? I'm getting a bit worried about this.

Thanks, Andrew

Last edited by mmoin; Jan 16, 2003 at 12:14 AM.
mmoin is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:15 AM   #2
mmoin
macrumors regular

just bringing the post up

I figure I will probably just call apple tomorrow, but hopefully there's some way to fix it without having to call up support.
mmoin is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:35 AM   #3
alset
macrumors 65816

Call support. There is no reason I can think of for this to happen. BTW - you have the mouse unplugged, right? I believe there is a setting to disable the track-pad when a mouse is plugged in. check System Preferences.

Dan
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:50 AM   #4
mmoin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by alset
Call support. There is no reason I can think of for this to happen. BTW - you have the mouse unplugged, right? I believe there is a setting to disable the track-pad when a mouse is plugged in. check System Preferences.

Dan
Well, when I detach the mouse the trackpad still doesn't work, also, when I try restarting and then detaching the mouse, it still doesn't work (I can't really restart without the mouse in since I can't use the trackpad). I've heard about that setting in sys. preferences, but it doesn't seem to be there. Anyway, thanks for the advice.
mmoin is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 03:17 AM   #5
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
I know this is a worn out fixall but have you tried repairing your disk permissions?
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 03:39 AM   #6
rainman::|:|
macrumors 603

Send a message via Yahoo to rainman::|:|
I see one of three possibilities.

First, there's a problem with the trackpad device or cable connecting it. That it's connected is a good sign that this isn't it, but there could be a short somewhere in the device.

Second, there's a problem on the logic board, whatever hardware interprets trackpad movement is fried. Or the connections to the rest of the system.

Thirdly, it's a lower-level software issue. Reparing permissions might actually work, if your system isn't able to read some internal driver or something correctly. If you don't want to take it in right away, you could try performing a clean install or installing on another disk, and booting from there. Or booting from 9, if you have it.

You're probably SOL and going to have to take it in. Sorry

pnw
rainman::|:| is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:54 AM   #7
mmmdreg
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mmmdreg Send a message via MSN to mmmdreg
Well I don't know how exactly RAM could affect it but since you claim it started happening after you intalled the extra RAM, perhaps try taking it out..
mmmdreg is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:50 AM   #8
mmoin
macrumors regular

Hmm, now it's working again, I suppose because I unplugged the USB mouse before I went to sleep.
mmoin is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:56 AM   #9
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
Quote:
Originally posted by mmoin
Hmm, now it's working again, I suppose because I unplugged the USB mouse before I went to sleep.
I still recommend repairing permissions. Does it continue to work even after you restart? If not boot up off the 10.2 installation disk. Does it work while running off this disk? If so it's purely a software problem.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:55 AM   #10
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
actually, my pop's ibook did this also.

have you installed RAM yourself? if so the track pad/clicker may have lost contact with the socket it is in.

in my pop's case, the whole entire socket became unsoldered formt he motherboard amazingly enough.

call apple, get them to fix it. it is prolly not a software issue.
idkew is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:18 PM   #11
mmoin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by idkew
actually, my pop's ibook did this also.

have you installed RAM yourself? if so the track pad/clicker may have lost contact with the socket it is in.

in my pop's case, the whole entire socket became unsoldered formt he motherboard amazingly enough.

call apple, get them to fix it. it is prolly not a software issue.
That's what I initially feared, but the fact that the trackpad works now indicates that it's probably a software problem rather than hardware. I'm probably going to try repairing permissions, but otherwise, the trackpad seems to be working now. very odd.
mmoin is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 01:10 PM   #12
GeeYouEye
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to GeeYouEye Send a message via Yahoo to GeeYouEye
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. At the time, I thought that the trackpad might have frozen (literally, I had just gotten back from Yosemite). Hearing this though, I wonder if it's a more widespread issue.

BTW, not only was it not working in X, it wasn't working in 9. It's definitely a hardware issue.
Like politics, free speech, computers, entertainment, and more? Join us at Wordforge.net
GeeYouEye is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:10 PM   #13
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
Quote:
Originally posted by mmoin

That's what I initially feared, but the fact that the trackpad works now indicates that it's probably a software problem rather than hardware. I'm probably going to try repairing permissions, but otherwise, the trackpad seems to be working now. very odd.
same with my pop's. it would connect and disconnect randomly. this happend for a week until it stop entirely.
idkew is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:29 PM   #14
mmoin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by idkew

same with my pop's. it would connect and disconnect randomly. this happend for a week until it stop entirely.
Weird stuff- well, if it stops working again I'm definitely going to call apple then.
mmoin is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2003, 04:39 PM   #15
Ifeelbloated
macrumors regular

Pound it with your fist a couple of times.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion