Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
So I just got my iBook yesterday, and it's great, but the touchpad no longer works. My USB mouse works perfectly, but the touchpad (the pad and the button) doesn't work at all, since this morning when I installed a 256MB DIMM in the laptop. I've tried powering down and then turning on the computer without the usb mouse attached, and I lifted the keyboard, and the touchpad cable (I think it's the touchpad cable, the brown thing) is attached. Any ideas? I'm getting a bit worried about this.

Thanks, Andrew

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
just bringing the post up

I figure I will probably just call apple tomorrow, but hopefully there's some way to fix it without having to call up support.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Call support. There is no reason I can think of for this to happen. BTW - you have the mouse unplugged, right? I believe there is a setting to disable the track-pad when a mouse is plugged in. check System Preferences.

Dan

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by alset
Call support. There is no reason I can think of for this to happen. BTW - you have the mouse unplugged, right? I believe there is a setting to disable the track-pad when a mouse is plugged in. check System Preferences.

Dan

Well, when I detach the mouse the trackpad still doesn't work, also, when I try restarting and then detaching the mouse, it still doesn't work (I can't really restart without the mouse in since I can't use the trackpad). I've heard about that setting in sys. preferences, but it doesn't seem to be there. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I see one of three possibilities.

First, there's a problem with the trackpad device or cable connecting it. That it's connected is a good sign that this isn't it, but there could be a short somewhere in the device.

Second, there's a problem on the logic board, whatever hardware interprets trackpad movement is fried. Or the connections to the rest of the system.

Thirdly, it's a lower-level software issue. Reparing permissions might actually work, if your system isn't able to read some internal driver or something correctly. If you don't want to take it in right away, you could try performing a clean install or installing on another disk, and booting from there. Or booting from 9, if you have it.

You're probably SOL and going to have to take it in. Sorry :(

pnw

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Well I don't know how exactly RAM could affect it but since you claim it started happening after you intalled the extra RAM, perhaps try taking it out..

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Hmm, now it's working again, I suppose because I unplugged the USB mouse before I went to sleep.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by mmoin
Hmm, now it's working again, I suppose because I unplugged the USB mouse before I went to sleep.

I still recommend repairing permissions. Does it continue to work even after you restart? If not boot up off the 10.2 installation disk. Does it work while running off this disk? If so it's purely a software problem.

idkew

macrumors 68020
actually, my pop's ibook did this also.

have you installed RAM yourself? if so the track pad/clicker may have lost contact with the socket it is in.

in my pop's case, the whole entire socket became unsoldered formt he motherboard amazingly enough.

call apple, get them to fix it. it is prolly not a software issue.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by idkew
actually, my pop's ibook did this also.

have you installed RAM yourself? if so the track pad/clicker may have lost contact with the socket it is in.

in my pop's case, the whole entire socket became unsoldered formt he motherboard amazingly enough.

call apple, get them to fix it. it is prolly not a software issue.

That's what I initially feared, but the fact that the trackpad works now indicates that it's probably a software problem rather than hardware. I'm probably going to try repairing permissions, but otherwise, the trackpad seems to be working now. very odd.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. At the time, I thought that the trackpad might have frozen (literally, I had just gotten back from Yosemite). Hearing this though, I wonder if it's a more widespread issue.

BTW, not only was it not working in X, it wasn't working in 9. It's definitely a hardware issue.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by mmoin

That's what I initially feared, but the fact that the trackpad works now indicates that it's probably a software problem rather than hardware. I'm probably going to try repairing permissions, but otherwise, the trackpad seems to be working now. very odd.

same with my pop's. it would connect and disconnect randomly. this happend for a week until it stop entirely.

mmoin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by idkew

same with my pop's. it would connect and disconnect randomly. this happend for a week until it stop entirely.

Weird stuff- well, if it stops working again I'm definitely going to call apple then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.