Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A short time after today's media event, Apple CEO Tim Cook did an exclusive one-on-one interview with David Muir of ABC News, speaking on the company's new products and former CEO Steve Jobs. Now, ABC News has shared a clip of an interview with Apple design head Jony Ive, who spoke on the Apple Watch and its development process.

Muir: How many different versions of the Apple Watch are there?

Ive: I think we were talking about this earlier, and when you actually do the calculations, it's millions and millions.

Muir: Millions and millions?

Ive: That's right, there are different materials for the actual case, there's two different sizes, you can choose one of six different straps or bands. But, the way we treated this from a design point of view wasn't that you had hardware and then software. Our experience as customers, as users, is that they're one and the same. So we designed the user interface, gave people multiple choices, for example in terms of just watch faces.
Ive also noted that he was "very proud" of the work that Apple's design team has done, stating that the company's new iPhones and the Apple Watch are its "best work yet." The designer also stated that Apple has always tried to design products that people want to use as opposed to begrudgingly having to use them, setting a high bar to create a "desirable and personal" product with the Apple Watch.

The full length interviews with Jony Ive and Tim Cook aired earlier tonight and should be posted online soon.

Article Link: Jony Ive: Apple Watch and New iPhones Apple's 'Best Work Yet'

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
on to the next product category:

wlwSnwc.gif

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
on to the next product category:

That made me LOL.

The guy is a complete ********.
Millions and millions. Pah! You know when I move the seat back in my car it becomes a completely different model to next doors one. He’s not good on video.

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
This guy is too damn fake for my tastes.

I know the crowd eats him up and wants to make sweet love to his accent but I find the way he talks to customers repulsive. If I had a salesman talk the way he does to me (slowly and overemphasizing every... single... positive word) I'd tell him to shut the f up and get me someone another sales guy.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What happened to Skinny Jony ??? Either he is buffing up for mr universe or has found the Apple Muffin stash.

Also I can see why he does not speak at the keynotes.....

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I'm very interested in trying the watch. I think it'll be surprisingly "comfortable" in fitting people's habits, though there's no stand out reason to get it.

On another note... I love the "this is the best iPhone we've ever made" comments.

I mean, if any company gets up and says "our new phone isn't as good as last years", I think that company is in trouble.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This guy is too damn fake for my tastes.

I know the crowd eats him up and wants to make sweet love to his accent but I find the way he talks to customers repulsive.

He seems to be unable to just say something in a straight forward manner. Its like he is high everytime he talks and so deep and spiritual...

deepan84

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2014
the stuff Ive's smoking must be damn good. he is in his own fantasy world. I don't think this first gen iWatch will be a success. Why should i carry a smart watch when i have an iPhone? On top of it, the design is horrible.

iPhone 6, meanwhile, will be a commercial success.

gwales123

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2003
Eastwood NSW Australia
"Our experience as customers, as users, is that their one in the same."

Two grammatical errors in the space of three words. Is this quote lifted from another site, or transcribed by the OP?

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
What happened to Skinny Jony ??? Either he is buffing up for mr universe or has found the Apple Muffin stash.

Also I can see why he does not speak at the keynotes.....

he did once, he talked about the manufacturing process of the macbook air and unibody macbook pros

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Jony is so up himself it hurts to watch (pun intended). The Apple Watch is an exercise in self-indulgence and adds absolutely nothing innovative, new or practical to the wearable market.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Not being waterproof and having to plug it in every night makes this thing impractical for everyone except the most devoted Apple fans.

Some of the straps are nice though, so Jony can be happy with that. :rolleyes:

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
I think he was being evasive, knowing the disappointment people are feeling..

He knows the watch is a punt..
Just as he knows the iPhone 6 is a 5S made bigger to look like a Samsung.

His body language is embarrassment.

Zodiac.mj

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
I would really like to know if that Watch is so ugly and not looking as good as other Apple products because they had limited space for stuff inside or they just want to allow limited customers to try it first and make real product in next iterations.

Personally I love that heptic messages and I'm sure that trying this type of communication will make me addicted really fast. But man, this thing IS UGLY. Really, that's the best Apple can do?

For the iPhone on the other hand I have mixed feelings. iP4 and iP5 launch always made me think 'I need to have that stuff, it's grat!'. With this iteration, that feeling is gone. First thing - how will 6+ model feel in hand? Can I have it on me (pocket), or do I need to get a backpack to put it in :)

So many questions, no rush for me to get it. Something has changed. Is it me, or is it Apple, I'm not sure at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.