Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's media event where Apple introduced the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus, and its much-anticipated wearable device, members of the media were invited to go hands-on with the devices.

Yesterday, we published hands-on impressions of the Apple Watch from various tech-related sites, but this year's event also had top fashion editors and bloggers in attendance, who also published their initial thoughts on the Watch. We've gathered up some of their perspectives below, giving an overall picture of how the device was received in the fashion world.

Fashion magazine and blog InStyle said the Apple Watch was "well worth the wait," and published a list of "5 Reasons Why Fashionistas Will Swoon Over Apple Watch." The piece pointed towards the device's multitude of styles, its customization options, and its ability to send emojis, drawings, and heartbeats.

applewatchcoloroptions.jpg
Most Apple Watch faces are extremely customizable. Meaning, you can change colors, choose design elements, and add functionality. You can have a traditional analog or a modern digitized face--plus you can choose the screen image.
Well-known fashion magazine Vogue was also impressed with the Apple Watch, highlighting its design and the "extra magic" of the Digital Crown control. The magazine said the Apple Watch is "a watch that looks like a watch" and that its "visual appeal is almost retrofitted to the traditional language of the analog Swiss-made timepiece."

British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman also told Reuters in an interview that the Watch is "immaculate in terms of how fashion meets function," and said "The issue is really about how much people want to wear something so clear, essentially an amazing gadget."

Roseanne Morrison, fashion director for The Doneger Group, told Reuters that the Apple Watch was unimpressive. "It's not pretty. It's very future techno as opposed to feminine sexy." Meanwhile, fashion-oriented site Cool Hunting disagreed, calling it "lovely and clever," and saying it "marries fashion and technology, wellness and data, and beautifully integrates the humanity of touch."

applewatchemojis.jpg
The tactile touches of the watch extend beyond the device itself--the Leather Loop strap option, for example, has magnets in each of its ribs so that the act of securing the strap feels like a luxurious zipper and consequently has an extremely secure closure. And the link bracelet has a butterfly closure that seamlessly folds into itself unlike anything we've seen on a watch band before.
Beyond fashion, leading wristwatch site Hodinkee had an opportunity to go hands-on with the Apple Watch, giving an in-depth look at the device from a design perspective, and the resulting overview is well worth a read. The site believes the Watch could pose a threat to existing brands, as "Apple got more details right on their watch than the vast majority of Swiss and Asian brands do with similarly priced watches."
The overall level of design in the Apple Watch simply blows away anything -- digital or analog -- in the watch space at $350. There is nothing that comes close to the fluidity, attention to detail, or simple build quality found on the Apple Watch in this price bracket.
Hodinkee also focuses on an aspect of the Apple Watch that many sites overlooked -- the bands -- which it says Apple "NAILED."

1410363030771.jpg
Apple Watch with Milanese band, courtesy of Hodinkee
...the attention to detail on the straps and bracelets themselves is downright incredible, and when I mentioned above that nothing comes close in this price range, it is very visible when talking about straps.
According to the site, the closure of the Sports watch strap is impressive, and the leather of the leather strap is "super soft, super high quality."The metal link bracelet is "sizable with just your own hands," the "loop" style bracelet is "just fantastic" and the Milanese bracelet is said to be comfortable. "I promise you not a single other tech company in the world would've spent the time to make this admittedly outdated looking option," reads the overview.

Hodinkee also points out a few flaws with the device, including the fact that it doesn't fit under a shirt cuff because of its bulk, and that it is "not as cool as a mechanical watch, to real people."

Introduced yesterday, Apple's ?Watch is available in two separate sizes with an array of different bands and casing options. Pricing on the device will start at $349, and it will be available to the public in early 2015.

Article Link: Apple Watch First Impressions From Watch Experts, Fashion Sites

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
Apple Watch First Impressions From Watch Experts, Fashion Sites

I just want to find out a few questions. Pricing,charging times,battery life,can you buy separate magnetic charging cables? Do these plug into your current lightning cable and then to the magnetic charging thing? How early is "early" 2015? How much are the bands?

Last edited:

DarkCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2013
I actually like the design, it'll only get better in later iterations though.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They're perfect for an Oscar nominee's gift bag. The question is how many people would buy one at Target or Walmart rather than just admire them from afar.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Looks like Jony Ive isn't such a bad designer after all.... I think the pictures they showed were very misleading. Its really only fair to judge it after you've played with it in person.

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Two things that would stop me from buying a smart watch

1) No waterproof (I surf a lot)

2) The apps become too stressful for your current watch (iphone) to handle within 2 years and you would be buying a whole new watch.

I usually keep a watch for about 10+ years and the batteries almost make that distance too lol.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I just want to find out a few question. Pricing,charging times,battery life,can you buy separate magnetic charging cables? Do these plug into your current lightning cable and then I to the magnetic charging thing? How early is "early" 2015?

Hopefully Q1!

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
I'm just curious if those people from a couple weeks ago are still waiting in line right now...

Milese3

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2014
Southampton - United Kingdom
Two things that would stop me from buying a smart watch

1) No waterproof (I surf a lot)

2) The apps become too stressful for your current watch (iphone) to handle within 2 years and you would be buying a whole new watch.

I usually keep a watch for about 10+ years and the batteries almost make that distance too lol.

It seems I have received civil unrest for stating that "it was waterproof".

Yes, I misread the previous article and in recollection of it, stated the feature incorrectly.

I meant, to say (which I know is now wrong), it is water-restistant.

Last edited:

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I kinda feel like these are the terms where Apple "redefined" the smartwatch space. Smartwatches that are compelling visual competitors to traditional watches? Stupidly simple idea, but one that no other company has given us.

Actual functionality included some neat features, but it's the fact that the thing is a watch I would like to have on my wrist without the smart functionality that makes it a compelling device.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
This is refreshing to see since so many people were so negative about it yesterday. Offline, however, many people I spoke to were positive. Personally, I think it looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Forget what Fashion experts say, the :apple: Watch is fat, chubby and just an ugly square lump.

The only thing great about the design is the ability to customise the straps, but when you look at the actual device itself, it looks hideous. I think Motorola got it right with the 360.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
It'll be interesting to see how it sells

It'll be interesting to see how this sells beyond the early adopters.

Saying this as a iPhone, iPad and Mac user. With the iPhone I didn't get the initial version, but knew I would in the future, same with the iPad.

With the Apple Watch I don't have that feeling - nothing compelling to me. It's beautifully crafted and the software look nice, but my gut instinct says this is a "hobby" level product at this point - Apple certainly hasn't planned for it to be that level product of course. JMHO...

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
...the attention to detail on the straps and bracelets themselves is downright incredible, and when I mentioned above that nothing comes close in this price range, it is very visible when talking about straps.

Well, you know those nice straps aren't going to be included with the $349 watch. You'll just get the cheap rubber one for that price (IF you're lucky).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.